Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Madwork's 1970 Beetle
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Madwork's 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

So my wife has always wanted a classic bug. Long story short, but due to a guy hitting me while riding my motorcycle to work, I've been laid up for a couple of months. That gave me a lot of time to dig into this site and others to educate myself on Beetles and to begin the search.

During my search, I realized that I had always wanted a Baja bug - that thread to come later. While looking at a baja bug, the guy mentioned another bug (his driver) that he had considered selling.

My goal for my wife was to have a nice little bug that she can drive every day. I didn't need to start with a show car but wanted a solid little driver. If it needed a bit of work that would be ok, but I didn't want to start with a resto project either.

So, when the PO mentioned his driver, I crawled around it a bit and made him an offer for both of them. This thread is about Jenny's little ride.

Overview of the body:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The interior:

Various other body shots:

So, a relatively solid little car. Some rust on the pan behind the passenger seat will require work in the relatively near future but otherwise, I'm happy to have such a nice car for her to drive. The body seems to be in quite good condition with minimal rust. Pans are in good condition with one spot on the passenger side behind the seat (surprisingly not under the battery).

Looks like it was originally Emerald Green.

From the engine code it appears to be a '73 casing. PO said it was built as a 1500, so unsure of the piston / cylinder / head situation. It has a 30/31 carb and the Bosch 009 distributor with mechanical advance. Runs pretty good, had to brush up on my breaker point ignition service knowledge already.

Upcoming plans:
Troubleshoot a sticking front disk brake issue - hoses have been replaced, seems like it may come down to a caliper rebuild or the master cylinder - TBD, haven't been able to dig into it yet.

Return the car to stock height and swap the wheels for the standard ones with the cool chrome hubcaps (wheels and hubcaps purchased through TheSamba.com - Thanks guys!).

She doesn't like this paint job, so we're going to have it painted Yukon Yellow. Going to start talking to some locals about paint soon. This won't be a restoration paint job necessarily, but I do want it to look nice.

Already have learned a lot from this forum and the links found within. Looking forward to learning more as we go.

Last edited by madworks on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jenny's 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

looks like a solid wee car madworks, was some ones baby once.
I kinda like the faded old 80's paint job, but happy wife, happy life. Laughing
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jenny's 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:

There's all kinds of 80's style cars coming out of the woodwork lately. A guy I new in the early 80's had that style of graphics on his bug. He flipped it on a curve. It was totalled but he had an awesome 1835 that I bought from him.

I wonder if anyone knows the exact year that was painted? My guess? 83' or 84' Very Happy

**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

1970 Westfalia Bus
1969 Convertible Bug
1967 Standard Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jenny's 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
63Ragtop NZ wrote:

There's all kinds of 80's style cars coming out of the woodwork lately. A guy I new in the early 80's had that style of graphics on his bug. He flipped it on a curve. It was totalled but he had an awesome 1835 that I bought from him.

I wonder if anyone knows the exact year that was painted? My guess? 83' or 84' Very Happy

Thanks, I actually like the paint job. If it was my bug I'd probably get a nice clear coat sprayed on it just to keep it looking good. PO said the guy that painted it did it to match his Cessna.

But, as noted, happy wife, happy life. I want her to go out and smile every time she drives it and if changing the color helps her do that, ok with me.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jenny's 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

What a sweet patina paint job. Love it!!!!

Man it would be cool if you kept it but I understand the wifey situation. Habe fun with the car Wink
danno627
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jenny's 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Good call on the paint! haha
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jenny's 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

So a quick update and a few new photos. I did the budget paint job on her bug and gave some detail here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668758&highlight=

So, now in looks like this

We are pleased with the result. If you get too close and look carefully you'll see plenty of imperfections but even from less then ten feet it looks really good.
Madworks 1980 Vanagon Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672496&highlight=
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jenny's 1970 Beetle Reply with quote

Looks good!
'69 Plymouth "Adam-12"
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
and counting
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: