Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First bug!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: First bug! Reply with quote

I was told by a few local guys that this is the place to go for bug info.
I myself have never owned a VW before but my dad has owned quite a few over the years including a few show bugs and he built one of the first bajas in the Seattle area. My first car was a 27 model T when I was 4 years old, I welded in my first subframe (79 Buick subframe to a 56 Ford puck up) when I was 12. Currently I drive a 79 Chevy van (shorty) on 100 spoke wires, I have a chopped 50 Chrysler, a few yamaha chopper projects and an old Triump chopper. My wife daily drives a restored 66 Dart, a 50 ford 4 door with a flathead and has a full custom 48 Chevy aerosedan project.
I am a welder for aliving and used to work in a street rod shop so working on cars is nothing new....except for bugs. I always hated them growing up but as I get older I kinda like them more and more.
I was at a guys place buying a 700r4 trans for my van and he had this 73 bug sitting there. Turns out after the first of the year I will own it....

So this is what I know so far...

73 standard bug, lowered, mag wheels, rebuilt engine, dual carbs, Pertronix ignition, 4 new fenders and deck lid still in the boxes, new interior kit and a new tow bar kit. It just needs some wireing fixed so I figured I would just throw in a new harness.

From the pics what can you guys tell me about it? What is the shifter?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Welcome to the samba!!!!!!! Ask all of the questions you need and read some of the build threads. That bug looks good, but I can almost guarantee that there will be more work then you think there is( that's just the way it is with VWs Laughing )
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Like you I have a 73. Typical late model standard type 1 VW. I like the late model over the earlies as I have owned several. Either way its VW! Feel free to ask question and use the search function in the drop down under the Forum down arrow.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Welcome!

That bad boy looks like it was put together in the 80's with those mirrors (can't think of the name of them) and the center lines..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Welcome!

That bad boy looks like it was put together in the 80's with those mirrors (can't think of the name of them) and the center lines..
Are those the mirrors they used to call Baby Turbos or something like that? Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

I just noticed the firewall in the picture too. Is the shifter an old Hurst?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

That car looks nice for it's age. I like the old school centerlines and the low profile tires.
Some observations,
The stains on the body at the lower corners of the rear window are from the rubber seal oxidizing. Make sure to look at the rear package tray inside the car. If the window seal is leaking, water will puddle in the tray and corrode it. This should not be a real problem with your fab/welding skill set.
The engine is missing the rear breast plate and needs to be there for proper cooling once you have the engine up and running. Also you will need to get a set of fresh air tubes to connect to the heat exchangers if you want heat for the winter months.
I just replaced a set of those carbs and can tell you that they will work much better with an SDVA distributor. Also the carbs can be a pain to jet. But once you get them sorted, they will work well.
The firewall shield is ok. Just make sure that it is positively attached to the firewall. If not it can get sucked toward the fan intake at the front (front is front, rear is rear) and then bad things happen.
If that is an old Hurst shift lever, they can be a bit temperamental when selecting gears. Just sayin. Someone will not doubt refute my experience with that shift lever.
Since you work in a hot rod shop. You know the drill, make it safe first before making it go.
When sourcing parts. If you can find them, try to get original parts.
They fit better and are of far better quality that any aftermarket part available on the market today. Take for instance the fenders and hood you mentioned in your opening post. The fenders and hood on that car look very serviceable.
Make sure to search here "Death Foam." That should be an eye opener.
I wish you well with this little car.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Watch your knuckles on that cheese grater..I mean firewall! Smile

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Got the bug ! Looks nice ,welcome
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Nice rig & a great new project. Now you're officially HOOKED!
Re:
J R wrote:
From the pics what can you guys tell me about it?

It has less rust & moss than my '71 Std.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Welcome!

Are those the mirrors they used to call Baby Turbos or something like that? Cool

Yes, I think they were Baby Turbos! I wonder if it had this bad boy rear view mirror in it too!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

A WINK mirror! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
USMCbug
Samba Yoda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Nice! My 73 had center lines on it too. I loved that bug.
65 Split Window Bus
79 Baywindow Bus
71 Super Beetle (current)

"When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
scabbard."
- General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Nice bug, good luck with it,
Take lots of pics for us when you restore it.

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

[quote="wcfvw69"][quote="SBD"]
wcfvw69 wrote:
Welcome!

I wonder if it had this bad boy rear view mirror in it too!

If the "Wink" mirror is not still being sold to the car market these days. They have a huge market in golf carts. I have one on my work GC. And there must be at least 100+ more on the others at Intel.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Wow guys, thanks for all the info so far! I have been checking out the build threads on here and it seems alot nicer here than on some other forums I have been a part of....cough cough coughmopartscough coughthehambcough cough....

What are your thoughts on a new wireing harness? Being from the hot rod/custom car side of things I always rip out whatever bastarized rats nest the last guy spliced togeather and start clean with a new harness and relays where needed. Most of the time I go with an EZ Wire 21 circuit kit. Being a bug 21 circuits will be overkill but they make a 12 circuit kit. I have used about 12 of these kits so far and they are a very simple, priced right, good quality and easy to install. I have never had an issue with one of them.

http://www.ezwiring.com/store/viewcategory.php?groupid=0

What is a good source for the fresh air tubes and is "rear breast plate" the name I should search for when looking...ebay/used or does someone make a new one?

You can bet there will be lots of pictures as I get this thing road worthy. Plans are to clean up the paint, pollish the wheels, new tires (same size), rewire, replace/fix anything it needs to be a driver, install the interior kit, make sure all the window/door gaskets are good and drive the wheels off it!

I drive up Airport Way and through downtown Seattle twice a day (4th and 2nd). Anyone that knows Seattle knows wgat the roads are like so new shocks are a must! I have seen a lot of guys on here running KYB shocks and I am not a big fan of them at all (I will run off the shelf Monroes before I buy anothr set of KYB or Edelbrock shocks) anyone running Belltech shocks/coils on a bug?

Again, thanks for the welcome and info so far!!!
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it here ....... but let us know how/if it runs?

If it actually needs a new harness, fine. I'm sure there's a favorite local VW-only parts shop or 2 in PS area, so look/ask around & pal-up to them because you will soon be a familiar face there!
The breast plate & heater tubes are very common items at the VW store.
Be advised that much of the current new tinware out there are Pacific rim knockoffs which will feature fit/function issues, but generally work OK (eventually). Used OG factory tin is still around as well, so maybe cruise TS classifieds/trader ads for some.
Re shocks: have always been a fan of gas-overs, & tend to utilize Bilstein whenever possible.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
J R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
Maybe I missed it here ....... but let us know how/if it runs?.

I was told that the engine was rebuilt by a shop in the Portland, OR. area, not sure how many miles ago.
The guy Im getting it from said that it was running and driving with no issues. 2 months ago he went out to move it out of the way so he could pull his 54 Ford out of the shop and he got nothing at the key. Out of frustration he grabbed some wires under the dash, wiggled them and it fired up, he moved it and then it wouldn't start again. From what I saw the wires under the "hood" were a rats nest.
More than likely it is just a loose wire to the ignition switch and an easy fix but like I said, I would rather start fresh and not have to worry about any of it. He said that it ran smooth with no issues.

This guy is an oldtimer with a 40 Ford with a blown flathead, 3 studebakers 2 of them are small block chevy powered, a model A with a nailhead in it and a turbocharged pontiac engine on the stand waiting for a project so I don't have any reason to doubt him on the condition of the engine but who knows....

First thing I will do when I get it home is track down the wire, fix it and see if she will start then go from there.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

I would figure out what is wrong with the wiring and fix it or run just the new wires you need before doing a complete tear out. I looked at new harnesses for my super but the way the factory ran those things its a nightmare to get them out unless you do a complete tear down.

What engine tin are you missing? I live in Renton also and just ripped the old chrome/rust tin off my engine and probably have the pieces you need to get you by until you find good factory tin. There is also Averys air cooled down in Longview which is a VW junkyard where you can get original parts at a pretty fair price. They have never let me down on odd hard to find stuff.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First bug! Reply with quote

No one said to check the pan and battery tray for rust. I am disappointed! Check the T shaped piece under the front end as well.
I brought my bug from Portland Oregon area with minimal body rust around the rear quarter windows, but the car wasn't from that area to begin with.
There are MUCH better places than Avery's to get parts from. On the upside they do have OE stuff, but its usually all worn out in my experience.
Let me know if you want to trade those centerlines for some crome 15,s with OE hubcaps. Shoot me a PM if you do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: