Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ipconfig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

So no matter what I try the beetle is really sluggish for the first mile or so. Even if I let it warm up for 10 minutes before taking off. After a mile or so the beetle runs great. Any suggestions on what to look for?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

So many more things you should tell us first, like carb(s) or FI?, manual or auto?, any mods or 100% bone stock?, what's in the distributor?, has it always done this or just a recent suprise?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ipconfig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
So many more things you should tell us first, like carb(s) or FI?, manual or auto?, any mods or 100% bone stock?, what's in the distributor?, has it always done this or just a recent suprise?

Sorry, its a dual port 1641 with a solex 34 pict 3. The distributer is this one in the picture. This is all new as I had dual carbs on it and they flooded the engine out so I picked up the solex.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

It may just be the photo angle, but it looks like your distributor cap was installed at an angle...

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

those distributors only work well with dual carbs

or those carbs only work well with vacuum advance type and appropriate model distributors
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

ipconfig wrote:
its a dual port 1641 with a solex 34 pict 3.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

catahoula lou wrote:
It may just be the photo angle, but it looks like your distributor cap was installed at an angle...

Cap looks cockeyed to me too. And your VW will run better and have less potential to cause fire with the fuel pump connected !!!

OK, back to topic: runs great after warmed up. Idling 10 minutes is NOT a decent way to warm up any engine, needs the load of driving. So the issue is getting initial cold temperature running to be improved.

Is the manifold for the 34PICT-3 new, and are the heat risers connected? If used manifold, did you check or clean out the heat risers?

Is the 34PICT-3 new? Is the choke hooked up to the coil positive terminal #15, and the choke operable? Like the butterfly being essentially horizontal when the engine is cold?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

Does your motor have a heated air intake?

sliggish might indicate a s l o w accelleration process while in actuality correct drivability otherwise

perhaps bucking and stumbling might more accurately describe symptoms

I am only guessing on that one
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

Have you ever put a couple drops of oil on the felt pad in the shaft under the rotor on that distributor?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Extremely sluggish for the first mile or so. Reply with quote

That distributor looks like a Chinese knock off 009. It doesn't play well at all with a 34-3. You'd be MUCH happier with an original restored DVDA or SVDA distributor matched to your 34-3.

The cliff note version for you bug to drive nice with a cold engine is this-

* You need to have your thermostat and flaps installed on the engine.
* Your choke needs to be hooked up and adjusted correctly.
* You need to run a stock muffler that will flow the right amount of exhaust through the carb manifold preheat tubes. Headers don't.
*Your carb manifold preheat tubes need to be open and clear. Most are clogged solid with carbon.
*A working carb preheat on your oil bath that gets hot air directed through it via the stove pipe is needed as well.

The vast majority of bugs don't have all these pieces in place and suffer cold engine hesitations, flat spots and poor driveability with a stone cold engine. In the summer months, the symptoms are not as bad. However, a bug with all these pieces hooked up and working will start first thing in the morning in 20* weather and immediately drive down the road running perfectly.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: