Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

google image link issues
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: google image link issues Reply with quote

I have used picasa web album to host unimportant pictures for use in the forums for years but now google has taken it over and I am having issues posting the images here now. These are different versions of the same image that I have tried to post here with the standard IMG button method that I have always used. Am I doing something wrong or is the new google style links not compatible with this forum?
I can open the images in the browser without issue.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got a extension that would change the image to a .JPG file and that doesn't work either.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: google+ image link issues Reply with quote

Only links that end in .JPG will work.

I'm not sure why the 3rd one doesn't work though - maybe something they are doing?
It does work if I go straight there and load it, i.e.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/z96yQzeAjWggeryg...no-tmp.jpg
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: google+ image link issues Reply with quote

In another thread earlier this year I found, someone said
Quote:
when I post pics from my Picasa account, I have to right click on "view image", and then use the resulting link to get the image to display here

I don't know if you are using that same link above but maybe that link will work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: google+ image link issues Reply with quote

Yes, that is the way it used to work. Now the only links that one can get since the change are the first 2 types of links that I posted above.

I suppose I can get a different image hosting account but would prefer to keep all of the images that I post in this forum in one place for simplicity.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: google image link issues Reply with quote

I don't know what changed but I can now see all 3 of the images that I posted earlier that didn't work. Confused
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: google image link issues Reply with quote

For the first two image links, all I get is the alt-text ("Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen").

Right-clicking the text and selecting "View Image" brings up a Google log-in page. The image URL is embeded in that page's URL.

Third image displays OK.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: google image link issues Reply with quote

Yes, I figured out why that particular Google .JPG image was not displaying and made a change to the site so those work now.

The first 2 images will display but I think it's only if you are either:
1. The Google account holder who owns that image
and/or
2. You have a Google account and are logged into it.

I have a Google account and I cannot see #1 but I can see #2 and #3.

I think it's best to use the direct image links only, the ones that end in .JPG or other people may not be able to see the images, similar to what kreemoweet posted.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: google image link issues Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you for making the changes so that I can keep using that site to host the images.

I signed up for dropbox and I couldn't figure out how to get a direct .jpg link to images there either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: