Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Wheels - What fits
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
magician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

Looking to get started on a refurb/upgrade on my T3. Since SA steering wheels are not readily available, looking for alternatives for a nice wheel.

Anyone try a Porsche Cayenne?
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

The early T4 model is bolt on. It feels better when driving, much better ergonomy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

Just about any VW, Audi or Porsche wheel used during the T3 production period can be made to fit. I've had both Porsche 944 and Mk1 Cabriolet wheels on my van; the latter feels the best.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

Today i'm polling myself as to which one to stay with...

1 - My stock wheel that I double wrapped in leather. A very comfortable and thick grip this way. Feels great, looks nice and gives you the benefits, and drawbacks, of the stock wheel.

2 - I also installed this VW MK1 "GTI" wheel (1985-1988 version) in order to try out an alternative steering wheel. It is a direct, simple bolt on replacement. No mods needed with this wheel. Smaller in diameter by a little. It does block a small portion of the upper corners of your speedo and tach. But my seats (Recaros) sit pretty low so not an issue for me. I'm gonna give it a week or so to see how I like it. A thought is to also "wheelskins" wrap this one, tho it is leather from the factory.

Thanks for letting me share...

Peter

the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

is there a difference with power steering vs manual Question

my stock wheel is to big Exclamation love to upgrade , reduce the size , but still be able to control , and be safe

84 2wd manual everything
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

the joker wrote:
is there a difference with power steering vs manual Question

my stock wheel is to big Exclamation love to upgrade , reduce the size , but still be able to control , and be safe

84 2wd manual everything

Manual steering has a larger diameter wheel, so you can get more leverage, reducing the effort required. These larger wheels feel more like a truck, not a car. Using a smaller wheel from a power steering vehicle would require a lot of effort for slow speed maneuvering, like while parking.

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682322

30+ VWs before them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

Good point. My van is equipped with power steering so going to the smaller wheel is not such an issue. Iv'e read that yes, going to a smaller wheel is tough if you don't have ps. I can tell you that it is very nice to have the extra room with the smaller wheel. getting in and out of the van is much easier, tons more legroom.

I may go back to my stock wheel as having it double wrapped is very nice. While I test out the smaller GTI wheel its sitting on a counter in my garage but I keep picking it up and it feels really, really good. Double wrapping with leather is a common Porsche thing, (maybe others too?). I used 2 "Wheelskins."
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

OK, color me dumb...what's wrong with the stock wheel. I get along fine with both the camper & synchro stock steering wheels. They're both power steering. My old 83.5 with armstrong steering was tough to wrestle with sometimes, but only when manuvering at slow speeds.
To me it's a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" issue, but to each their own.
Happy Motoring
Tom
87 Syncro GL
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

I have a wheel from a 90 GTI. It's one of my favorite mods. The smaller diameter makes the steering faster. Totally changes the feel of the vehicle .
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
RyanKE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

I've still never had a chance to own the Porsche 911SC that I've always dreamed of. I thought about installing the 3 spoke 80's Porsche wheel, so I could at least daydream on those long hauls. Laughing
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

Make your own Cool

Its still in project form, but you get the idea Wink
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Make your own Cool

Its still in project form, but you get the idea Wink

Gives new meaning to 'Steering Linkage'.

Tom
87 Syncro GL
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

That's rad! I'd buy one...after my tetanus shot!
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

The 944 wheels fit, the SC don't . Bigger center hub dia
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

The 944 wheels do indeed fit. The one i tried stuck out to far for my liking though. It was to tall in the hub area.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

OB Rat wrote:

I plan on having the chain line-x'd. Ya know, for the sensitive hands.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

The 944 wheel I used was just too small of a diameter and obscured the top of the gauges. The Cabriolet wheel is slightly larger and is the Goldilocks solution for me.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
OB Rat wrote:

Be careful with that. Any prospective buyers may suspect that you're just covering up rust Laughing

I'm also happy with my stock wheel - after adding a leather wrap. I like the way the old school style matches the vehicle but the extra girth and softness of the wrap is much appreciated.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
SteveVanB wrote:
OB Rat wrote:

Be careful with that. Any prospective buyers may suspect that you're just covering up rust Laughing

Haha! Good point! Im not sure there would be enough demand to start making them for sale. I am making a new center out of black walnut so that may be a game changer Cool
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheels - What fits Reply with quote

it will definitely be a game changer for the thoracic surgeon who has to dig splinters out of you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: