Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

So what are anecdotes about running this setup? Improved MPG, power, reliability? I expect improvements would be subtle but am still curious.

-Rob
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
So what are anecdotes about running this setup? Improved MPG, power, reliability? I expect improvements would be subtle but am still curious. -Rob

Yeah, I saw the Q about fuel mileage on the previous page. Can a couple of owners who've done this pricey conversion report on that?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

mine was running "less than optimally" with the Digifant. Much better with good MPG now, and a lot more power too. I haven't done a long trip to acquire hwy mpg numbers. I will report it when I get it, but it's pretty much mothballed for Winter here, until April or so.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

You said the pulley had to be rebalanced with the trigger wheel. How was that accomplished? Did the vender do that for you or did you have that done?

Hans
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:

Yeah, I saw the Q about fuel mileage on the previous page. Can a couple of owners who've done this pricey conversion report on that?

Pricey conversion? Different strokes for different folks. I was surprised it could all be purchased for $1k.

I would like to think that there is the possibility of incorporating a knock sensor.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
pinetreeporsche wrote:

Pricey conversion? Different strokes for different folks. I was surprised it could all be purchased for $1k.

I would like to think that there is the possibility of incorporating a knock sensor.

If a knock sensor can be wired in it would open up a whole new world for upping compression with custom or DJ 2.1 pistons. Increasing the compression, in my limited engine theory knowledge, is the most effective way to increase mpg and power. Factory Difigant constrains this avenue.

-Rob
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
So what are anecdotes about running this setup? Improved MPG, power, reliability? I expect improvements would be subtle but am still curious.

-Rob

the thousand bucks or so of this system, plus your time (time is money) will buy a lot of fuel, the stock digifant system is pretty reliable, and there is only so much extra power you can get by changing the injection system only.

it may be a fun project, but practicality is questionable for mileage, power, and reliability.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

He keeps completed pulleys on the shelf. Basically you can do it one of 2 ways.

Send your pulley in and he'll do YOUR pulley, but this can take 1-2mos to do them in a batch.

Or what I did, was send him mine, and he sent me another one which was already modified and balanced.

Frankly, changing the pulley was one of the most challenging parts of the entire job, since I don't have the factory tool to loosen the pulley bolt (over 200lb/ft). I had to drop the muffler and rear heat shield, and use a strong impact.

hdenter wrote:
You said the pulley had to be rebalanced with the trigger wheel. How was that accomplished? Did the vender do that for you or did you have that done?

I was so frustrated with the Digifant, everything checked out but it was completely unreliable. I considered carbs, but I knew that if I did that it wasn't optimal, since I do a lot of driving at high and low elevations, and carbs do NOT compensate for this like FI can.

Hans

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Noticed Mario at thedubshop posted images of modified wasser intakes for modern/newer fuel injectors. Is this something he's working with you on? Curious if he has any plans to release a system for wbxr. Gowesty's system is now out of my price range.
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Yes, you can incorporate knock sensor. I have a knock sensor for my air cooled setup and microsquirt, but have not yet wired it in.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Of course you can wrie up a knock sensor, the trick is tuning it to the ping of a vanagon engine and locating the sensor in the best spot. Pretty sure this is what gowesty is struggling with for its system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

a1fa wrote:

It's about a $1000 - insignificantly less if you go down the junkyard route.

microsquirt ~ $375
ign4 wasted spark coil ~ $80
ignition coil driver ~ $89
trigger kit ~ $124
quality 1bar map sensor ~ $50
iat sensor ~ $15
clt sensor ~ $43
wideband o2 and controller ~ $100
pigtails and other misc wiring items - $140
optional cam trigger ~ $149
optional TPS - $80

There is just no way around a grand it if you go with off the shelf items. The crank trigger is worth it.

For my project, I ended up copying well behaved SVDA distributor curve, with a slight advance.

John, would you mind sharing your ignition map, and AFR map?

What did you use for the TPS? I have an idea of what I'd need to do a Megasquirt project on my van, but I'm not sure what TPS to use.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

I did not use a TPS, I did MAP sensor only. TPS is best used on engines with "oversized TBs", but for an engine with adequate vacuum it's not needed at all.

My fuel and ignition maps are based off of manifold pressure and barametric pressure (for correction).

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Very interesting and I am glad to see this Thread...

I've been looking into doing the MS install on an in-line 2.2 5-cylinder Quantum engine for my 89 carat. I have inquired about the possibilities and they said it can be put together ... I have an 87 engine with less than 140 miles on as well as the South African Bell Housing.

Subscribed...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I did not use a TPS, I did MAP sensor only. TPS is best used on engines with "oversized TBs", but for an engine with adequate vacuum it's not needed at all.

My fuel and ignition maps are based off of manifold pressure and barametric pressure (for correction).

Yes, and your engine will run just fine. However, incorporating TPS is not only for fuel delivery but also for acceleration enrichment, and more importantly, idle timing control. This way you can have very high advance on your idle w/o, and very precise RPM control at idle through timing variation. This feature is not available unless you have a way of signaling the ECU throttle plate is closed.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

That feature is not at all important to me. I never drive at 800RPM at 0 load, so I have that cell programmed as idle.

It runs fantastic, passes emissions, and MPG improved a ton over the stock FI.

I am very aware of the capabilities of MS, but I am also realistic. This is a STOCK ENGINE. I don't need to have race features for this engine in a multivan. I have kids and more important things to do with my life than tweak MS for 4 years "perfecting it". I have raced in the past, and know that the system is ideal for that, but you don't have to use everything in order to use it at all.

I kept it simple by

using MAP (no TPS)
Using batch fire injection
Using wasted spark ignition

In fact, many "features" beyond the basics simply prevent most guys from taking on a project like this, because in their mind (and mine too) it becomes too complex to consider. There is a learning curve, and it CAN be significant. By keeping it simple they can easily get running, and learn new features as their brain gets up to speed on it's capabilities.

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

^^^^ That's what I've wanted to hear, as the response(s) I got appeared to involve making my engine far more than I want or need. And, no doubt, at the moment I am still standing on the ground facing that ladder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

John, I believe you may be missing a point.

It's not about driving at 800 RPM, and 0 load (unrealistic) - It's about achieving efficiency; even if it takes you 4 years to get there. You are not adding any more complexity over what you have.

I'm not picking on you or bashing your choices by any means; I was responding to the question why TPS would be desirable.

My system is exactly the same (MAP,BATCH,WS,WB02 with EGO,FUEL CUT OFF). Hell, even my latest fuel map and ignition map are very close to Federal L-Jetronic with SVDA. My van will cold-start and run just like it would've with L-Jetronic -- no need to jockey with the throttle to keep the RPM up, and it will also maintain IDLE RPM hot.

The engine is perfectly happy with timing and fuel... That took 4 years to get to, but in hindsight it would've been much easier to achieve that with TPS, idle control and burn less fuel in process. It would also be a lot more resilient/adaptable to the engine conditions, down the road.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

maybe I'm stupid, but my engine behaves just like yours does, and I'm not using TPS nor a throttle switch.

If TPS/Throttle switch work for you that is great, but I found I didn't need it at all. Maybe I'll add it in a couple years, but I don't see the point in a 5k pound van with 90hp.

jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

This is so interesting it never fails to amaze me how we can adapt just about anything to these great old vehicles.
Will you be sharing a "how to"? I'm sure a lot of people would love to do this modifications, including me but I don't think I could "trail blaze" . I can follow instructions.
Thanks for sharing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: