Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

I thought I covered this already.

First, call up Mario at Thedubshop.com and tell him you want to convert your Vanagon to MS. He can supply the ECU, harness, sensors, crank trigger, etc. He got the parts together for mine. I also bought his coil and plug wire pack, and the coil harness and plug. I had to shorten and assemble the universal plug wires. I also changed to a resistor spark plug to reduce ignition noise (it was recommended to do so).

My most difficult issue was R&Ring the crank pulley, since the new one needed to have the crank trigger wheel on it. I don't have the factory tool to lock the engine, so I had to remove the muffler, and use a compact impact to zip the pulley bolt off/on. I think spec is 217lb/ft, you aren't going to get that off with a ratchet with the engine installed.

I chose to build my own harness (no 30yo wiring), but I did get the mini-harnesses for the crank trigger, Intake air temp, and coolant temp from him. I re-used the wiring (2" long) for the injectors, PCV heater, and fuel pump. My harness took 3-4 hours to make, but a lot of that time was just staring at the parts. No rush, right?

I will post my A/F map and timing map when I have time. That will get you very close.

I have no doubt a idle switch would be a benefit, but I didn't need it. Idle is steady, regardless of temperature.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Nice job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

How did you wire up the tach? I assume the Vanagon has the high-current type. The MS2 hardware manual is a little confusing on how the tach is connected, but I've only glanced over it. Was any calibration needed to get it to read accurately?
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Also, did you setup one bank for all four injectors like the Digifant has or did you setup two separate banks like the wiring diagram in the MS2 manual? If you did two banks, how did you set the them up? It seems like injector pairs 1-2 and 3-4 would make sense for wiring, but the firing order is 1-4-3-2. I guess that works.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

The Mega Squirt system may be different than the Digifant System relating to how/when the injectors are queued to trigger (inject).

On the Digifant system, I don't think it matters how the injectors are wired. All injectors trigger at the same time with each signal of the dizzy/hall through the ECU on the ground side (one circuit ties all 4 injectors back to the ECU on the ground side). In the circuitry, the fuel pump relay provides current (12 volts) to the fuel pump, the injectors (same circuit), OX sensor, idle stabilizer, and power steering pressure sensor.

Fairly simple.. one complete rotation of the dizzy (two rotations of the engine) all injectors are triggered (inject). Injection volume is determined by the ECU based on a number of things, such as air temp, accelerator position (MAF), ignition advance, coolant temp, etc.

For what it is worth, I've been studying both the Digjet and Digifiant sytems to apply to an in-line 2.2 5-cylinder. And, as I stated in a previous post, I've inquired with folks at Mega Squirt about a system for my 5-cylinder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

I've pretty much built my MS2. The only part that I'm not sure about is the tach output. It's a little confusing the way the manual describes building the circuit. One thing it mentions is some older tachometers need the high current spike from the ignition coil. I assume that means the Vanagon tachometer needs the spike. Do you know how that circuit was built in your MS setup?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

My tach didn't work out of the box, with the MS configured for it. I don't know why.

I futzed with it for a while, and decided to just bag that and simply used a couple diodes and trigged directly off the 2 coil outputs, to the tach wire. That fixed it.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Boy, this thread sent me off "down a rabbit hole!" I had never heard of the Megasquirt conversion and after a couple nights of reading online I feel like I am just a bit more educated. Also spoke at length with Mario at the Dub Shop.

I fall into category of original poster. 85 Weekender with 1.9. I have struggled for years to track down lingering issues of dead spots in the power band and inconsistent running. The Samba has been a huge help but after literally dozens of hours the problems remain. (grounds, AFM, ECU, the wiper board thingy been there done that.) Engine conversion is not in the cards in the near future but Megasquirt conversion could be budgeted for.

Some lingering questions-

-Megasquirt or Microsquirt? I understand the difference but am struggling to evaluate which would be the best for my purposes...

-Tuninig? This is the part that intimidates me the most. I don't have access to a Dyno and have never programmed an ECU. Sounds like there is a whole world of tunes out there but not specifically for water boxers...

-My 1.9? all available reading has been about the later 2.1 Diji jet. will this system also work with the FI system on my motor?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

The guys at Megasquirt say they can make a system for any engine.

The Digijet and Digifiant systems are most likely interchangeable between the 1.9 and 2.1 engines <<< That assumes you would move "everything" from one engine to the other, including the wiring harness and ECU. From my research, it's my understanding that the Injectors are the same.

I have no clue if the ECU of a Digijet or Digifiant can be programmed. However, from what I've read, the Megasquirt System is programmable!

The Digijet system on my 84 (before I installed the TDI engine) worked just fine. I was impressed with it. Prior to the 84, I owned (mothballed now) an 83 Air-cool with a different system. It was basically trouble-free for over 200k miles. I've had a lot of issues with the Digifiant system on my 89... It's the one I'd like to install the 2.2, in-line 5-cylinder with a Megasquirt System...
zx11pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

This is such a great thread, I thought I'd revive it for the holiday season! Any updates on the MS system as installed? Wonder what it would be like to use this setup with a coil-on-plug setup, or would that be overkill? Anyway, I look forward to seeing some graphs and maybe an update too as to how the system is performing at this time.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

i have been interested in the megasquirt system for awhile and reading this thread i would like to know if the collective knowledge of the the application of megasquirt system to a 2.1 waterboxer could be managed to benifit everyone. i know i would like to be able to purchase a system and replace the existing digifant ecu system. since people have already developed a workable system using megasquirt i wonder if they would be interested in selling their design for a price. and provide a list of needed developments. some of us may be willing to spend some time to help where we could. having an installable system that the average person could implement. and a system that can be programed or modified by the van owner would be great if they so chose.
1990 vw automatic camper
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

I finally got my engine started yesterday. It has been a slow process of doing a rebuild and building out the MS system (with a job and kids and stuff). I still need to do some work to get it running and idling properly.

My build is very similar to this one, but I also did a rebuild at the same time. I built a Rocky Jennings (had him condition my block and send me the parts so I could build it myself), 2.3L with the tencent cam and tuned exhaust.

I would love to work on writing up something that would help other people build their own. I built everything on my MS. I got the kit and soldered everything together with the specific circuits I needed for the idle control and the ignition components I decided to use. It could probably be tweaked a little. RMW has some of the VW connectors, so I managed to get everything connected into the original harness without splicing into wiring and stuff. I wanted to be able to drop the original Digifant back in if anything went awry.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

leebh1975, very good. What settings did you end up using for injector dead time and voltage correction?

Another member sent me injector settings out of digifant which included injector dead time and voltage correction if you need it.

Make sure your battery is calibrated correctly. Use volt meter to make sure voltage at injectors and megasquirt is the same megasquirt reports in tunerstudio.
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

a1fa wrote:
leebh1975, very good. What settings did you end up using for injector dead time and voltage correction?

Another member sent me injector settings out of digifant which included injector dead time and voltage correction if you need it.

Make sure your battery is calibrated correctly. Use volt meter to make sure voltage at injectors and megasquirt is the same megasquirt reports in tunerstudio.

I actually haven't adjusted those. I'm kind of winging it here, hoping a buddy can help me get it running. Putting together the hardware wasn't too bad, but I'm learning about tuning as I go. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the actual injector size is in lbs per hour? I found a site that said they're 16.1.
a1fa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

185cc/min
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

a1fa wrote:
185cc/min

Sweet! What was the injector dead time and voltage correction supposed to be set to?
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

Awesome thread, and now I’m seriously considering a microsquirt swap. I have a couple questions for those of you that have completed the swap or are generally knowledgeable on the subject.

1. What does your MPG look like number wise?
2. How about power increase, is it noticeable?
3. Would I get good results using a MAP, IAT, TPS, and pulling my tach reading off of the coil?
4. Are there anything things I should consider adding?

Thanks so much for the help.

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

I had read this thread a couple weeks ago as I was contemplating a megasquirt. The going rate for a new ISM is 200+ and as long as I'm gonna be that far into ignition / fuel electronics I may as well stick it into a modern system.

I contacted DIYAutoTune and this is the setup they quoted:

Quote:

A MicroSquirt would be best for the ECU. I'm going to price this with GM-type coolant and air temperature sensors; you can use the Digifant ones as well, as long as they're in working order.

$388.00 MicroSqrt8: Assembled ECU (includes 8 ft / 2.4 m harness & tuning cable)
$67.00 GM3bar-map: MAP sensor
$12.49 GM3bar_piggy: Pigtail connector for MAP sensor
$18.99 CLTIATwPiggy: Coolant / Oil temperature sensor
$22.49 IATwPiggy: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
$9.49 38NPT-Bung_A: Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
$22.49 USB-2920: (Only needed if your laptop doesn't have a true DB9 port)
$540.95 Subtotal without wideband

The wideband oxygen sensor system is optional, but a very useful tuning tool.

$189.00 (Special sale price - $166.00) LC-2 without gauge (you can still view real-time AFR and datalog AFR through your laptop)
$219.00 (Special sale price - $198.55) MTX-L Plus digital gauge system
$219.00 (Special sale price - $209.00) LC-2 with DB digital gauge (available in red, green, or blue)
$259.00 (Special sale price - $207.20) MTX-AL analog gauge system
$349.00 (Special sale price - $279.20) LM-2 basic data logger with one sensor
$399.00 (Special sale price - $332.99) DLG-1 dual wideband package with digital gauge
$479.00 (Special sale price - $383.20) LM-2 deluxe kit with one O2 sensor
$669.00 (Special sale price - $535.00) LM-2 deluxe kit with two O2 sensors

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
leebh1975
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting Waterboxer to Megasquirt Reply with quote

10degnorth wrote:
Awesome thread, and now I’m seriously considering a microsquirt swap. I have a couple questions for those of you that have completed the swap or are generally knowledgeable on the subject.

1. What does your MPG look like number wise?
2. How about power increase, is it noticeable?
3. Would I get good results using a MAP, IAT, TPS, and pulling my tach reading off of the coil?
4. Are there anything things I should consider adding?

Thanks so much for the help.

1. I haven't honestly compared pre/post MPG. I haven't really gotten things all tuned properly either, so maybe I'll see how things are going when it's running properly.
2. My build included rebuilding the engine to 2.3 L, with tuned exhaust, etc., so I can't say for sure how much the power increase is due to the MS or the engine build. It definitely has a lot more juice though. I couldn't climb a hill to save my life before. I actually passed someone on a slight incline with this build. It's a nice feeling. Smile
3. I don't have a TPS on mine. I kind of wanted to have one, but I wasn't sure how to get something that would fit properly. So I'm just using MAP. Maybe that's why I'm having trouble tuning. I also eliminated my coil and distributor, but I think you could still use the same stock coil output that's running the tach.
4. Not sure. I can tell you to make sure you know someone who knows how to tune and has access to a dyno. I thought I'd be able to take my van right down the road and have someone tune it and then I found out they don't work on Megasquirt. I haven't found a local shop that will do it. I'm trying to work with Mario at the The Dub Shop. He has some services to help with MS tuning. If I really have to I can drive up to the Seattle area (from Portland) and work with him on a dyno.

Building the physical stuff (I did the MS kit and soldered all the components myself) and doing all the wiring was fun and I think it looks great. I just don't have the skills to get the tuning right. So if you don't know how to do it make sure you know someone who can.

Mario sells a lot of MS stuff (https://thedubshop.com/), mostly for air cooled, but he has a Vanagon crank sensor and a lot of other good stuff. I recommend checking him out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: