Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ Oil Related Question (Leak)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: AAZ Oil Related Question (Leak) Reply with quote

Ok, I hope the title isn't misleading.

(Moderator: It was, I modified it)

The original JX was designed for being tipped over at 50 degrees.
The AAZ, not so much.
The question being this: Has ANYONE figured out how to keep oil from seeping out from under the Valve Cover?
I have a NEW (9,000km) engine, and I have oil seeping down the side of the block. While the amount is negligible, it does stink a little on the Exhaust Manifold, and every few weeks (right after car wash) I have a 10cm spot of oil under the van. As the oil drips, it collects on the skid-plate. When I wash, it gets on top of the water (plus engine heat) and drips out AFTER I drive 20km home and park.
The cover is torqued down correctly (any more, and I'm afraid of stripping the Alu threads out!). I even have jam nuts on it to prevent loosening.
So, anyone?
Thanks!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Oil Related Question Reply with quote

If you compare the JX valve cover with the AAZ valve cover you'll note the JX has 4 fasteners along the front and 4 along the back while the AAZ has 4 down the centre.

IMHO the permanent solution to this problem is replicate the JX design. I've never attempted a JX VC on a AAZ cylinder head. I have seen a couple AAZs with the G60 in Jetta/Golfs. They have perimeter mounting akin to the JX. Drilling and tapping those holes would be far easier with the engine out, of course Wink
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Oil Related Question Reply with quote

I wish I had done the JX mod as well and have the same issues.
My fix is a can of Permatex 25229 "The Right Stuff" gasket maker.

Make sure everything is spotless (as in brake cleaner or starting fluid)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Oil Related Question Reply with quote

Some valve covers have long thin "washers" to spread the tightening torque out along the valve cover.
Make or buy some. The cover is probably slightly dustorted at the bolt holes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: