Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starter problems 1987 vanagon 2.1 manual trans
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: starter problems 1987 vanagon 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

Maybe I need to bite the bullet and buy a new solenoid, but I have 4 used starters left over from unknown sources and it seems like none of the 4 will work repeatedly.
(I'm getting really good at changing them from above, but STILL!)
Any ideas of any other return current problems? This is currently a junkyard tranny from MICHIGAN- SALT CAPITAL OF AMERICA. I can see corrosion under some of the front cover bolt heads. Maybe there is a poor ground path from the ground strap landing point to the starter base? Has anybody seen that before, because, if that happens, this might be the problem.
It will click with the key. No better with a jumper at the ignition switch.
Any ideas?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: starter problems 1987 vanagon 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

make sure your getting a good voltage across the starter solinoid. if not maybe a relay wpuld be inorder. you could also attempted to trigger the soliniod directly at the soliniod, if that works, then a relay will probably fix the problem, or go back and clean up the wires from battery to key switch, from key switch to soliniod.

also make sure the ground straps are makkng good contact, measure drop across them as a helper attempts to start check ground strap at tranny and ground strap at battery fro excess drops.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: starter problems 1987 vanagon 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

i add an extra ground strap, from the lower stud on the starter, to the chassis, next to the starter on the chassis you will find a couple of holes or slots, i cannot remember without looking, i bridge across there, with a 4awg wire, clean and grease around the desired hole, and clean around the stud on the starter.
then i add a hard start relay, one of jay browns, hard start relay if there are still starting problems, i opt for one of westy ventures starter adapters, starter adapter, scroll down here and use a modern starter.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: starter problems 1987 vanagon 2.1 manual trans Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:

.... This is currently a junkyard tranny from MICHIGAN- SALT CAPITAL OF AMERICA. I can see corrosion under some of the front cover bolt heads. Maybe there is a poor ground path from the ground strap landing point to the starter base? Has anybody seen that before, because, if that happens, this might be the problem.
It will click with the key. No better with a jumper at the ignition switch.
Any ideas?
Al

Regarding ground straps and good contact. IIRC, there's a note in Bentley about removing reinstalling the ground strap between tranny and frame; make sure there's clean metal at both points, use a star washer between strap and frame point.

Is bushing in clutch housing ok?

I ran into some pretty advanced (to my eyes) corrosion at tranny bolts, especially at mount points for bracket on tranny. Also at area starter mounts to. I JB welded these areas, cleaned contact surfaces really well. This made no difference (along with new OEM battery + cable to/from battery to starter) to an intermittent slow crank issue. As noted in the GW article on Bosch starters, I think most are just really old. That aside, it can't hurt to get in there and clean the commutator and lube the bushings in the starter of choice.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: