Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'55 transition year debate?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the numbers to the right of the dates ? Vin #'s ?

Yes PR has the heading at the top of every page. Wiggy just clipped it
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

So, this means those of us with U.S. spec '55's have 4 month only cars then, correct?

I look forward to putting mine back together once my Westy is done.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

That is correct. btw, there really wasn't an early 55 US spec car.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I would say that there is an early 55 US (& Canada) spec car, it would have eggs and semaphores and RAM protection bumpers. This same combo was also available in the later portion of 54. A world spec car from early 55 (all of 55 actually) would have semaphores and hearts and blade bumpers
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
Quote:
What are the numbers to the right of the dates ? Vin #'s ?

Yes PR has the heading at the top of every page. Wiggy just clipped it

So according to the VW bulletin Vin # 1-0927 373 is a July 55 model ?
My Vert is Vin # 1-0924 XXX Non ribbed door built on Aug 9, 1955. I guess it sat for a while at the Karmann Factory.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rglsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

"So according to the VW bulletin Vin # 1-0927 373 is a July 55 model ?'

Yes, could also be very late June production date. Many of these subtle changes are documented in Bob Wilson's book The 1949-1959 VW Beetle. Part of the Authenticity Series, i.e. Porsche 356, etc. (1994) He's got VIN ranges by year/month. Not sure if it's still in print, but worth having if you're a detail freak.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I picked up a pre transition 55 early this fall, 3 fold, ribbed doors, no semaphores, pretty sure it was Texas Brown. It has no fenders, but is obviously a bullet/snowflake car as well. I think it is a June or July built car.
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I recently acquired a strato silver June '55 transitional oval. I'm familiar with pre-transitional ovals and have a few questions about this transitional model after closely looking this one over.

First, the decklid that came with the car is not set up for a big spring with the V plate. Looking through Progressive Refinements, it looks like the change from big spring to small happened on May 3, 1955. Can anyone confirm or argue that my car should be set up for a small spring, and a straight plate on the decklid?

Second, the hood that came with my car is a correct 5 bolt, 4 tab version, but is missing the triangle plate under the VW emblem. Didn't see anything in PR on this detail - is this correct?
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
I recently acquired a strato silver June '55 transitional oval. I'm familiar with pre-transitional ovals and have a few questions about this transitional model after closely looking this one over.

First, the decklid that came with the car is not set up for a big spring with the V plate. Looking through Progressive Refinements, it looks like the change from big spring to small happened on May 3, 1955. Can anyone confirm or argue that my car should be set up for a small spring, and a straight plate on the decklid?

Second, the hood that came with my car is a correct 5 bolt, 4 tab version, but is missing the triangle plate under the VW emblem. Didn't see anything in PR on this detail - is this correct?

I sure hope your book is right! Would make my life much simpler!
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I had parts from a June '55 oval and the decklid had the straight-sided spring plate.
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
I would say that there is an early 55 US (& Canada) spec car, it would have eggs and semaphores and RAM protection bumpers. This same combo was also available in the later portion of 54. A world spec car from early 55 (all of 55 actually) would have semaphores and hearts and blade bumpers

my old 55 was early april car and was just like you said.
we went with no overriders when we built the car though
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Russ wrote:
Mr. OGPaint wrote:

my old 55 was early april car and was just like you said.
we went with no overriders when we built the car though

Love your 55 Russ, that green vw color is always a great choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
laneven28 wrote:

I sure hope your book is right! Would make my life much simpler!

Not saying anything bad about the information inside the PR book, however, take a good look at that picture of the Horizon Blue colored split on the back cover of the book and see if you notice anything.😉
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:

I have a May/'55 oval. 3 fold, 5 bolt hood, bullets, wide deck lid spring, ribbed doors.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
So, this means those of us with U.S. spec '55's have 4 month only cars then, correct?

I look forward to putting mine back together once my Westy is done.
So does this mean they are MORE rare than say a zwitter style beetle?
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Here is my april 55...three fold, semi, eggs, had over riders prior to resto.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
I had parts from a June '55 oval and the decklid had the straight-sided spring plate.

Thanks, appreciate the response. I also found a picture of Bill Bowman's original June 1955 oval in the 54-55 engine thread and you can clearly see the small spring set up. I think this must be correct for a June car.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1170212.jpg

Now to figure out the hood. Can you look at the underside of your hood and see if the triangle plate is there on your car? Would appreciate it.
1961 Turkis Ragtop
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I never had the hood from the June '55 car. However, I did pick up a 3-bolt hood w/o the triangular plate at a swap meet for a '57 that I once owned, so I know they exist.
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I had a friend who's very knowledgeable about these early cars and well known in the vintage scene send me a message saying he believes a June 55 hood should be 5 bolt but missing the triangle plate. I'm feeling pretty confident at this point that I have the correct hood and decklid for my car, although still not clear when that hood transition happened to help the overall community.
1961 Turkis Ragtop
55 3fold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

My May 15th production 55' has original hood and no triangle. Also small spring decklid.
My friends January 55 has triangle under hood and big spring decklid. If this helps any?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: