Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 Super Beetle seat frame repair
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

I've got my passenger seat reupholstered and now I'm moving onto my driver seat. The metal strips that run vertically in the back are broken in the middle and appear to be only welded into place at the top and middle.

Can a good welder just weld these back into place? Or do I need to replace those strips? It looks like this could be done by un-crimping them and removing the spot welds that hold them in place.

Can anyone confirm that they were originally welded at the bottom as well as in the middle and top?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1579868.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1579867.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Scott

Last edited by Longmont1302 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

I feel they can be welded. I don't think those braces are spring steel.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

Thanks, Dwayne,

I just watched the jbugs seat upholstery video again and the frame in that video looked like it had been re-welded in the same spot. I'm looking through my yellow pages and plan to meet a welder Monday morning before work...

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buckyten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

Longmont1302 wrote:
I've got my passenger seat reupholstered and now I'm moving onto my driver seat. The metal strips that run vertically in the back are broken in the middle and appear to be only welded into place at the top and middle.
Just welded mine up last week, just clamp and tack weld!!
Can a good welder just weld these back into place? Or do I need to replace those strips? It looks like this could be done by un-crimping them and removing the spot welds that hold them in place.

Can anyone confirm that they were originally welded at the bottom as well as in the middle and top?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1579868.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1579867.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

bzzzzt bzzzzt
next
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

I like the sound of that! Thanks, DeathTrap!
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

Take about two min. to tack weld. Not a big deal.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm that these strips should be welded in 3 place - top, middle, and bottom?
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

Won't hurt anything if you weld it everywhere that needs it
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who offered feedback. Advanced Alloys (Longmont, CO) welded it up for $25. Nice and easy!

Have a great day!
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

Going to paint it all before you put new fabric over it?

I ASSumed the guy I took mine to would have done that, at least at the exposed areas. It looks like crap to have nice new green seats, and scuffed, discolored black frames at the bottom.
Longmont1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 Super Beetle seat frame repair Reply with quote

<<Going to paint it all before you put new fabric over it?>>

I decided not to paint the front seat frames at all. My car isn't a restoration, just a nice original paint driver. The exposed parts of the front seat frame look as good or better than other parts of the car. <g>

That said, I did spray some rust stop on the rear seat frame bottom (after roughing it up a bit), which had some minimal rust on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: