Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my pan shortening adventure, and slow build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Spent the last couple of months of weekends shortening my pan 14.5" for my new Tribute buggy body. This was my first attempt at anything this serious, but it turned out straight, true and strong. I think it looks pretty good too, so thought i would share.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by rodjr on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
unclebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure Reply with quote

Looks good! As they say....the first one is the worst one....looks like you knocked it down. Done a few of these, and I'll never forget that first project. Keep the pics coming as you build yer buggy. Laughing

B
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure Reply with quote

Nice work!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure Reply with quote

Good work! Nice job closing the slots next to the brake handle mount.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, I actually removed the entire ebrake area when I did the cut. I cut a new hole in tunnel and fabricated and welded the new the piece on top to bring the step in the tunnel together.

rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, slow build Reply with quote

I decided to try to post some updates as my build moves along. I am in no rush it's all about the fun of the build for me, and currently dealing with a hernia so everything is a struggle. Anyway here is how it all started, getting creative with sawhorses, jacks, come -a-longs, and a way to get the body off a roached 1972 baja

I was kind of obsessed with making the pan very strong while also making it look like VW built it that way, i did not want any obvious sign it had been shortened and as a result i spent WAY too much time on it.
The body is from tribute buggies and designed for a swing axle pan, some modification needed for my irs. moved everything up 3.5".

A shot of the seat risers i made at work

and the recent progress getting the beam, and front and rear trailing arms back on after cleanup and some por15 chassis black. I purchased an eastwood tin/zinc plating kit as well as a 5lb tumbler and have been refinishing all the original hardware. Adjustable sway away spring plates and early short 22mm torsion bars in the rear. Single adjuster up front, i will put most of the weight on the lower set of torsions and just a tiny bit of preload on the upper set in hopes of a softer "progressive" spring rate.

Plan is 2 1/2" lowered, with a mint set of shelby cal 500 slotted mags i have been saving, real simple car no bling, or much of anything that does not make it go. Yellow and black with a touch of red. Im a big Rob Zombie fan and Im liking a kind of "black sunshine / demon speeding" vibe, or at least that's where i got the inspiration for the build.
Power will be a clone (as close as i can get) of Torben Alstrups 110hp 1600 build in the engine build sticky, i have enlisted the help of Modok for heads, carb mods, rods, pistons and cylinders etc and bugguy1967 for some valvetrain goodies. They have both been outstanding. Trans is the one i pulled from the baja which i believe was a 1969, sent it to mcmscott for a proper rebuild with close ratio 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and a bit of beefing up around the edges.
Cb drop spindles and all new German brake components are next as is assembly of the engine top end as i have most of the parts ready to go. Already have the stock balanced crank, web 163 cam, udo lifters and sweet lightened, balanced, and STRAIGHT rods that Modok worked over for me, buttoned up in the case. Just gotta get past the dang hernia.
SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Very impressive!
I really like the way you thought out the staggered lower center plate so weld seam is between the roll beads.

Awesome job!

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Thanks! I spent an entire weekend drawing lines, then stared at them every night after work for a week, then made a few a more adjustments before i cut. The staggered flap on the bottom ends up about 3/4 inch forward of the very top joint on the tunnel in this pic. I tried to sandwich the strongest part of the tunnel, and get as close to a match between front and rear halves as possible, and it came out within less than a material thickness, but required the jogs you see to do it. matching the floor pan was easy, v notch in the rear, push it in towards the tunnel, and weld.

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Very clean! Like the seat risers, what seats are going in it?
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Did you have to narrow yours? I have the 1st generation after an Imp and it's gonna be 12 inches shorter and 1-2 inches to narrow. I'm think I'll shorten it then cut off the pans and use rectangle stock to re-work the shape of the pan to fit the body then weld in flat pans.
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

I'm not certain that anything needs to be narrowed? Imp is a 12 in cut, but not thing else?

And great work on that chassis cut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Very clean! Like the seat risers, what seats are going in it?

The seats are these: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Sportsman-Economy-Fiberglass-Bucket-Seat-13-Inch-Wide,1511.html

They will get a full form fitted foam treatment from my upholstery guy, and covers. I am more concerned with weight than comfort (although these fit me well and i think comfort will be reasonable), this is not going to be a touring car, strictly hot rod. These little guy's are LIGHT!
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Some progress this weekend, although not much.
Installed my new steering box, a hybrid built by oktype3tim. I found him in the classifieds: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2013334.
I sent him my orig box to rebuild but it was mostly junk, so he built me a hybrid with a new TRW unit, my unit, and one of his rebuild kits. Great guy, reasonable price and fast. sent me a full write up with pics as he went through the process, it's a really nice unit now.
Tie rods and front brakes on, the CB spindles won't let you get the lower brake shoe pin through the backing plate or get your finger in there to hold it while you set the spring. I had to take the backing plates back off, insert pin, put them back on and stuff a wedge in there to hold the pin while i installed the spring retainer. Frustrating, but that's what happens when you step away from stock. new drums also got coated with por15 chassis black.
I'm currently bogged down in finding the right tires so i can get it off the cart i built and rolling on it's own.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

I really like what yer doin' there!!!!
I am wanting to do very similar for my buggy . . . CB drop spindles with '67 drums . . . the mention of the shoe retaining pin is very helpful! I will consider trying to keep the lower pins in place with something like these . . . https://www.mcmaster.com/#90528a127/=19bsw6l
Yer chassis is shaping up REAL NICE . . . keep up the great work! Cool
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Well, spent a good part of the day machining lug nuts and studs but....it's a roller! I need to get the center caps on, looks bad without them.
Wheels are Shelby Cal 500's, 15 x 5.5 all around with 175/65/15 front and 215/70/15 rear, Firestone champions.

Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

That came out super nice. Makes me want to start over with stock pans.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

rodjr wrote:

Great job!

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

That thing looks awesome. Love the pan work. Now I need a buggy
Rockbound
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

looks good! can't wait to see the progress. pan work was very well done!
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

A bit more progress this weekend, shocks are on, new bump stops and i started on brake lines. I opted to move the T to the other side in the rear to avoid coiling both ends of the long line from the master. Will make a new line to cross back over.
Also got my fresh close ratio trans from mcmscott (metal craft motorsports) mounted up. He installed a Weddle hybrid mainshaft, 2.25 second, 1.48 third and 1.04 fourth as well as a super diff and a bunch of details. Great guy, reasonable price and he really helped me out after I got the shaft from another source. I am looking forward to rowing through a set of close ratio gears!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: