Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my pan shortening adventure, and slow build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

EMPI..... Applause

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Three cuts, four screw driver wedges, one c clamp, a jack, and a welder and it fits now!

Yes, i know there is a single carb set up on the motor now, i have another new engine i just built with a modified solex that Alstrup helped me with. I am completely setting the car up to accept either engine.
I have had two cars with dual Webers and i hated them both, my confidence is low that this time will be any different, so i am getting prepared in advance.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Fuel Injection....Crank Fire Ignition....

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Glad to see your still going.
Better slow than never and I'm no better.
the 36 idfs were always absolute sweethearts for me, but if not, please do let me know and we'll figure it out. Each engine and setup is a little different.
I sold a set of the larger ones to Oprn and he had problems with not enough fuel at idle, and had to drop the fuel pressure......which I never had problems with that myself, but now he's running great. Better than fuel injection. easy to say, hard to believe, but believe it.

I just flow tested 7 sets of dual port end castings. Do they all flow the same? actually no. I found one left that flows a true 10% more than most, picked up some more now looking for a right to match Very Happy
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Glad to see your still going.
Better slow than never and I'm no better.
the 36 idfs were always absolute sweethearts for me, but if not, please do let me know and we'll figure it out. Each engine and setup is a little different.
I sold a set of the larger ones to Oprn and he had problems with not enough fuel at idle, and had to drop the fuel pressure......which I never had problems with that myself, but now he's running great. Better than fuel injection. easy to say, hard to believe, but believe it.

I just flow tested 7 sets of dual port end castings. Do they all flow the same? actually no. I found one left that flows a true 10% more than most, picked up some more now looking for a right to match Very Happy

Thanks for the confidence builder Modok, i have never doubted that you would be there to help if i needed it. You have been a tremendous help with this project already!
The other two cars i had both had Spanish 40's and i swear of all 4 carbs, not one had both throttle plates in the same plane.
After bench setting the 36's, i would say they are both off as well, as exposing exactly the same amount of transfer port on both plates in a carb is impossible, but they are MUCH closer than the Spanish 40's.
I am still moving along slowly, hernia really slowed me down for a while. The 36's will go back on after i get the heat risers fitted, manifold to header and the tube bent and welded to put the #4 side to the collector so it actually works. Trying to make everything interchangeable between engines.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

A bit of progress this weekend.
Fabricated some front body mounts since there was really no way to secure the front outside corners

Got the Sync link all installed, which required a bit of re-machining to work with the 36 idf's. The drivers side carb bracket was to short to reach the cables out to the pulley, some new holes and some tapping required to get another .300" of reach.

rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Well, Got the steering column holes drilled and the support from Berrien installed. Also got the body on and fabbed some rear body mounts as well as fronts that double as mounting points for the fuel tank clamps.
Had to do some more grinding and a bit of shimming to get all 4 corners the same height with the same fender to tire clearance.

Hit the go kart guys for some nice conical washers for all the mounts.

Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

very nice!
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Had a bit of time off for the holiday's, so made some bits of progress. Finished welding the header and sent it to one of our vendors for Cerakote, could have bought 3 more headers for what that cost. The muffler is actually a chambered turbo, not a glasspack.

Ordered a wiring harness from dune buggy bros in Florida. I asked for some details to be changed like all the grounds to a common bar and a few others. That didn't work out, either they didn't understand, or didn't read my messages through. Extensive modifications required to make it work.
The steering column turned out good, and i am happy with the front turn signals i found.
I should add that the harness is actually extremely well made, I am sure if you order a standard harness you would be happy. I just didn't want separate grounds and i wanted the horn button on the wheel to work so i added a relay. I also added the tach wiring and wiring for a possible future revolution fuel pump controller. These are the things that did not work out so well.
Made decent progress on the wiring though, running the tach wires in the tunnel was a pain! Just a bit more unwrapping and re-wrapping to get things where they should be.

cudabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

2 thoughts on your build from experiences , the seats you chose are very narrow. I used the same ones to get that old school buggy look I had to cut them in half from top to bottom and widen them 3 inches and the covers still fit . It was no big deal if your good with fiberglass. Also why did you place your front beam adjustor on top, the body may be in the way to make adjustments. It’s wide open on the bottom beam
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

I actually love the seats, with the padding i made on them, they fit me perfectly.
I put the adjuster in the top because If i chose the bottom it could be seen even with the hood on, and it is not pleasant to look at.
There are no issues adjusting it, even with the hood on, plenty of room.
WMAGRU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Very nice job! Regarding the wiring harness from the Dune Buggy Brothers, I believe he provides a tach wire for use later on. It's a purple wire included with the dash cluster. He also provides an accessory wire next to the tach wire for use with a radio or whatever you want to use it for. When I wired mine the "plug and play" harness actually made the job easy and fun. As you mentioned, he provides a quality product.

The detail you have included in your project is awesome. I look forward to following your updates. Very impressive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

WMAGRU wrote:
Very nice job! Regarding the wiring harness from the Dune Buggy Brothers, I believe he provides a tach wire for use later on. It's a purple wire included with the dash cluster. He also provides an accessory wire next to the tach wire for use with a radio or whatever you want to use it for. When I wired mine the "plug and play" harness actually made the job easy and fun. As you mentioned, he provides a quality product.

The detail you have included in your project is awesome. I look forward to following your updates. Very impressive.

It's all true, but i asked for some special details like running the tach wires under the fuel tank to the tunnel so i could mount the tach on the tunnel and bring the wires to it through the tunnel, so there would be no visible wire.
It was made so the pigtail dropped out under the fuse box which would have been visible running to the tach. It would have worked, just wasn't what I wanted, and I did pay a fair amount extra for some of the details.

I unwrapped it, lengthened some wires and shortened and removed some extras. Then I re-sorted them to get the 6 leads i needed for the revolution pump controller and pump pigtails which were not there. He did do wires for an electric fuel pump, but wired direct, which is not at all safe in my opinion. I can't imagine much worse than surviving a crash only to burn. I started re-wrapping them, Almost done now.

rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Some REAL progress this weekend...
Got the brakes adjusted and bled, E brake cables shortened and adjusted. I also finished the fuel pump install with the Revolution controller and buttoned up the fuel tank and hoses.

Then I installed my battery box and battery along with the spare tire mount and tool bag bracket I made.

Installed the fuel filler and bolted the hood down, then the wipers. Once the headlights were on it really stated looking like a CAR!!

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Love the yellow!
1961 Patina Bug
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Got the dash finished today....finally. The wiper motor and the fuel gauge vibrator did not want to get along in there!
I tried to just keep it simple:

Also fabbed up a filler for under the column by using the cutout and glassing a panel to the back, then a couple of speed nuts to screw it in place.

Getting close, won't be long now!!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Looking good Rod..........now you just need a turbo. Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

Don't think I haven't thought about it. I have a new case, some forged tw 88's and a set of lightened rods and mexico 043 heads that Modok did up for me, sitting in the garage.............probably talked myself out of a turbo over 100 times by now.
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

rodjr wrote:
clonebug wrote:

probably talked myself out of a turbo over 100 times by now.

Why???
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

It is a very,very deep rabbit hole.
starts with a simple 1679 cc draw through with 6lbs boost, and ends with a tf1 cased, roller cam, 2387 cc, blow through on e85 and 25 lbs boost, and no retirement account.
I know that once i start down the path of the dark side, forever will it dominate my destiny.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

rodjr wrote:
It is a very,very deep rabbit hole.
starts with a simple 1679 cc draw through with 6lbs boost, and ends with a tf1 cased, roller cam, 2387 cc, blow through on e85 and 25 lbs boost, and no retirement account.
I know that once i start down the path of the dark side, it will forever dominate my destiny.

Well stated.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: