Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So how long do you let them warm up???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

Hi Samba folks

I don't drive my VW much but I remember reading in the idiot book that John Muir use to say you had to let them warm up before you drove them...

I had mine out the other day when the weather permitted just drove it maybe a 1/2 mile to get all the car "warmed" up....

So do you folks let them idle before you drive them??

Also when you store them...how much do you start them and let them run for??

MikeC
pistolpetecowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Hi Samba folks

I don't drive my VW much but I remember reading in the idiot book that John Muir use to say you had to let them warm up before you drove them...

I had mine out the other day when the weather permitted just drove it maybe a 1/2 mile to get all the car "warmed" up....

MikeC

If I remember my manual correctly, it says to start it up and drive right away.
cphipps79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

If you have the thermostat and flaps setup, I drive off almost immediately. Just don't race the engine right away. It warms up faster that way. Most engine wear happens during start up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
So do you folks let them idle before you drive them?
I move off immediately.
IMHO the engine warms up best while driving the car with moderate revs for about six to ten miles.

mikec4193 wrote:
Also when you store them... how much do you start them and let them run for??
My bug sits in the garage for about five months in winter.
During this time the car is not registered thus I don't start and drive it.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

Manual says drive off.

I warm them up a minute or so. I do this so oil will go where it has to before any real load is applied. I don't keep count of seconds, I just listen until I rev the motor and the fast idle cams on my dual carbs step down some from high idle. Then I drive somewhat gingerly for some miles. Works for me.

-Frank
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
Hi Samba folks

MikeC

Muir, as he often was, is wrong.

Fire it up and begin driving. Letting it sit and warm up is a waste. It doesn't warm up very quickly just sitting and idling. It will warm up much more quickly with gentle driving.

If your choke & carb heat provisions (intake air preheat, heat riser) are in good working order you shouldn't have any driveability issues with a cold engine.

It is a bad idea to start and run the engine if you are not going to get it fully warmed up. 1/2 mile doesn't do anything - you are better off not starting it at all during storage than you are starting it and running it for a short time.

One of the byproducts of combustion is water vapor. When you run the engine, some of this water vapor goes out the exhaust and some gets into the crankcase. When the engine doesn't fully get up to operating temp, this water vapor condenses into the oil. Over time this can lead to corrosion of internal engine bits. If you are going to run the engine during storage, you need to take a nice long highway run to get the oil hot enough to drive out that water vapor. A 1/2 mile drive around town ain't gonna do it.

Again, better to not run it at all than to run it and not fully warm it up. Put it on a battery tender and leave it for the winter if you're not planning to take it out and get it hot.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

My engines are all bone stock with all the fan shroud flaps, thermostat and warm air to the carb hooked up. I start it up and drive off. As the other poster mentioned, it warms up quicker as well.

Someone posted in another thread that the choke is "timed". The electric choke expects that the engine will reach the correct engine temperature to allow the engine to idle w/out it when it fully opens. So, if you simply start the engine and let it idle to warm up, the engine may not reach the correct operating temperature before the choke fully opens. The engine could then fail to idle as you drive off and it returns to idle due to the engine still being too cold for the choke to be fully open. Of course, you need to have the flaps/thermostat in place along with clear carb manifold preheat pipes, a stock muffler that flows enough exhaust gas through the manifold and warm air to the carb via the stove pipe and working flap in the oil bath.

What I've experienced as critical for wonderful cold engine driveability is having the thermostat and flaps in place. Second, insuring your carb manifold preheat pipes are clear. Third, you run a stock muffler that flows the correct amount of hot exhaust gas through the carb manifold. Aftermarket headers simply don't flow nearly enough.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pistolpetecowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

I remember reading this in the manual for my 1970 because it kind of went against what I had been taught, at least on domestic vehicles.
From Page 27:
"Do not try to warm the engine up by letting it idle with the vehicle stationary - drive off immediately.

Do not race the engine while it is cold."
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

All vehicles are engineered and manufactured for optimum clearances at operating temperature, less wear there too.

So the goal is to get to operating temperature quickly, and keep it there. That means driving under load, not idling.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
Manual says drive off.

I warm them up a minute or so. I do this so oil will go where it has to before any real load is applied. I don't keep count of seconds, I just listen until I rev the motor and the fast idle cams on my dual carbs step down some from high idle. Then I drive somewhat gingerly for some miles. Works for me.

-Frank

This works for me. I may sit for a minute, but that's just getting situated before driving off rather than by design. It was 32* this a.m. in VA this a.m., btw, and my experience in winter is to just drive off easy.

To the OP, a 1/2 mile of driving isn't going to warm it up.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

Hi Samba folks...

It is sorta odd with this car I have....I keep forgetting that it is carbureted car...the last time I drove it...it was stumbling very badly until it got "warmed-up"...In fact at one point I was trying to drive it very gingerly until it was up to temp and it cut out totally.....had to grab second gear and dump the clutch to keep it going...

All of a sudden it was 1979 again (the last time I owned one of these cars)...

Funny how we forget how it use to be....

Thanks for all the replies and insight...

MikeC
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: So how long do you let them warm up??? Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:

It is sorta odd with this car I have....I keep forgetting that it is carbureted car...the last time I drove it...it was stumbling very badly until it got "warmed-up"...In fact at one point I was trying to drive it very gingerly until it was up to temp and it cut out totally.....had to grab second gear and dump the clutch to keep it going...

All of a sudden it was 1979 again (the last time I owned one of these cars)...

Funny how we forget how it use to be....

Stumbling and poor cold-engine driveability is not an inherent trait of carbureted cars. If yours is doing that, something is wrong with it. Most likely poor tuning work.

It should run fine and smoothly when cold, just the idle speed will be higher when it's on the choke.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: