Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for Information for an Okrasa 36hp Engine Build
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
olivetree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Looking for Information for an Okrasa 36hp Engine Build Reply with quote

I am building a 36 hp Okrasa engine with the WW carb and head kit and 80mm P&Cs and I am considering also going with a 69.5mm stroker crank. I am trying to come to grips with the potential issues that the stroker crank may result in. My major concerns are reduced engine life and higher engine temperatures. I am not sure what compression I will be running but it will see ambient temps of 90 degrees in the summer.

I would appreciate hearing from people who have experience running 36hp okrasa engines with 69.5mm and stock cranks. I would like to hear about your experiences with engine longevity and engine temperatures.

I would also like opinions on whether anyone has had issues running stock 36 hp rods in an okrasa engine.

I have searched the Samba forums for this information but came up empty so I would appreciate any info.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Information for an Okrasa 36hp Engine Build Reply with quote

21k on mine. 69.5 crank stock rods 77 jugs. 8.5 CR
no heating issues
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Information for an Okrasa 36hp Engine Build Reply with quote

Are you adamant about using WW carbs/linkage? Their heads are great, but need a little port work.

I ask because with the 80mm p/c and 69.5 crank, I'd recommend that you buy the Speedwell Okrasa to IDF manifolds and go with 36 or 40 IDFs.

Much more bang for your buck and higher quality carbs as well. Here's a picture of mine in the process of installing the manifolds/carbs. I'm waiting on a few parts to finish.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Information for an Okrasa 36hp Engine Build Reply with quote

olivetree wrote:

I would appreciate hearing from people who have experience running 36hp okrasa engines with 69.5mm and stock cranks. I would like to hear about your experiences with engine longevity and engine temperatures.

I would also like opinions on whether anyone has had issues running stock 36 hp rods in an okrasa engine.

I have an Okrasa 1300TSV bottom end (but with Zeniths instead of Solex), I run 8,2:1 compression and a stock camshaft. As the original Okrasa heads can't be used with thermostat I am more concerned it runs cold. During last summer here in Sweden I was never even close to having a "hot" engine. I have tuned the engine on a dyno to be sure I don't run too lean (hot). Perhaps I can even go to smaller jets and squeeze a little more power out of the engine, but I prefer to play it safe.

The rods shouldn't be a problem, just clear it so it misses the cam Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: