Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I bought this 1977 Westy minivan back in the spring.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It had been sitting in storage for about 10 years. A body shop had taken it all apart, done the body job, then lost interest in it, and posted it on Craigslist. The body is in beautiful shape, it was a very nice job.
The interior appears to be complete but all apart. They even had the seats and door panels redone. The transmission is still in place, I am told it was fine when parked. The engine has been completely disassembled but appears to be complete and in very good shape.
I could just assemble it all as stock, but I have this 1.8t sitting around...

And this 5 speed transmission from a 2001 Passat......

So, why not see if we can have some fun with this van and make it drive like a modern car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Bookmarked!

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Quote:
drive like a modern car

never. It will always drive like a VW bus which is not a bad thing but you will have more power, better heating and maybe A/C too. I think Skills took the same basic path and said by the time everything was done he had maybe $15K in it. Lots of unexpected expenses. Best to ask him.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Seems that people are having some trouble with the cooling on a WC swaps. There are threads on the forum with swaps simliar to what you're thinking and there's also a thread on radiator mounting.

Agreed with SGKent, it will never be like a modern car although it will be fun to drive. Don't forget about the brakes.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Hey guys,

So I bought this 1977 Westy minivan .....

Minivan? Rolling Eyes
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

I love the way my bus rides. For what it is it's a blast.

And when I rode in skills' mad machine...holy crap!

Now THATS a bus.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

You Bay folks may not be aware, but the OP is one of the most gifted VAG techs on this site...or continent. The dude has mad skillz, and I have zero doubt he will nail this install. Watch, reflect and be amazed.

You do realize that the engine is running counterclockwise, right?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?

Last edited by Zeitgeist 13 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

My 71 westy is stock and when people ask my why I would drive something like that, I tell them "When I drive the road is wide open, no traffic, and there is always a big traffic back up behind me". That's why my license frame says "Relax you are behind a VW Bus". Keep it stock or you are missing the whole idea of owning an old VW.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. Nice to see there is much interest in this project.

I have admired Skills beautiful work at the CT VW shows. Amazing detail!

I know it's not going to handle like a modern car. I hope to improve the power, heat, and reliability along with making a cool project. The biggest improvement I think will come from the much more modern 5 speed.
The stock transmissions in these vans seem to be getting more and more scarce every year. It should be nice to cruise at 65 mph at around 2700rmp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you go about reversing the output rotation of the differential?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Popcorn Looks to be an interesting build. Will be watching the progress. That is a nice looking bus. Good score for your project
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:
Maybe a dumb question, but how do you go about reversing the output rotation of the differential?

Looking at that....that humpback on the trans,
I am wondering the same thing...plus clearance issues-or maybe
just an eight gallon fuel tank in place of the sixteener?
A bus needs a 1.8 turbo like I need a third nut, but, carry on.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:

I'm sure Tristeesa will see this shortly. He's working on a similar swap.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Popcorn

While I'm a stock Nazi purist, I always appreciate a well done modification too. I have to say, I drove about 80 miles in my bone stock 70 bus today on the freeway. Wow would it be nice to have a 5th gear to lower the cruising RPM and the ability to still spin the cooling fan enough to cool the engine. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

gintaras wrote:

I made the engine run the opposite direction so I will have 5 forward gears rather than 5 reverse.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
gintaras wrote:

Looking at that....that humpback on the trans,
I am wondering the same thing...plus clearance issues-or maybe
just an eight gallon fuel tank in place of the sixteener?
A bus needs a 1.8 turbo like I need a third nut, but, carry on.

I haven't tried the transmission for fit yet, just eyeballed it. Let's hope it fits!
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Cool. Cool Cool

Popcorn

-dasdachshund
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Watching. Love your work on the Vanagons.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

Popcorn

Gonna watch this one.
gs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: All I want is 200hp, a 5 speed, and some decent heat. Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
I made the engine run the opposite direction so I will have 5 forward gears rather than 5 reverse.

Is that really all it takes??

I have looked at doing something very similar but couldn't get past the trans issues. Sure I can rotate the engine backwards, thats easy, but I could never figure out if the trans would work properly when spun backward.

Wouldn't there be oiling issues, or gear mesh issues?

I hope like hell it works, cause if it does I have all the parts ready to go for my swap!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: