Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suspension Suggestions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

I've decided to work on ride quality this winter. What can I do to upgrade the suspension on my 1991 Westy? Looking to maintain originality, but a better ride. Thanks.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

Pretty subjective area...criteria, please?

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

I went with Yokohama Geolandar tires on 15" Mercedes wheels, GoWesty Zero lift springs, Koni Red Adjustable shocks and am in the process of installing Powerflex bushings.

So far it has been a night and day difference in stability, off-road ability and handling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

Now that I think of it, I admit I'm looking forward to a few hundred "spare"
so I can pull the trigger on the new T3 Technique anti-roll bar & bushings...

Embarassed Wink Twisted Evil

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

I'm wondering if I get more bang for my buck with new springs or bushings. I'm kind of committed to the 14'rims, as I recently scored a set of BFG ATs.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

I think both dhaavers and unibagel are onto something. I spoke with Christopher at T3 at length on your very topic. His answer pointed at just about exactly what they are saying. It also included going with the slightly lower Carat springs. I know they pop up once in a while on the classifieds, and of course, they would be used, but keep it in mind. Since you are keeping with the 14's, you'd have no problem with the slightly lower stance and that would help your stability.

Glad to see another Iowa'n on here, from the map I had been wondering if I was the only one!?!
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1562320&location=USA&add=1#
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

Define "better ride".
IoWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

So the GoWesty zero lift springs and the T3 Powerflex Bushings? Yellow or purple?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

IoWesty wrote:
So the GoWesty zero lift springs and the T3 Powerflex Bushings? Yellow or purple?

T3/Chirstopher's remarks to me, in regards to his happiest, and most demanding customer, were:

LOWER the stance == get Carat springs
UPGRADE anti-roll bar + end bits
PowerFlex Purple.
Keep original DIAMETER tires, regardless of rim size. I.E. 25.5 inches using exacting inflation specs updated to modern information pertaining to tire choice.

Get it aligned.

That is just from multiple conversations I had with him, so I may have not fully tied together everything he was explaining. I am really just condensing what I understood from him tho. Maybe I could suggest actually ASKING the Expert, he is really great to work with!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Define "better ride".

not sitting on top of a pogo stick - but that is the fundamental Vanagon Experience - maybe he knows that?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Suspension Suggestions Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
hans j wrote:
Define "better ride".

not sitting on top of a pogo stick - but that is the fundamental Vanagon Experience - maybe he knows that?

It doesn't have to be Wink You never know though, I personally can't stand a lot of suspension setups. Stock springs and OE shocks feel pretty good to me...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: