Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Gears

So these pics are of two different wasted mainshafts, three mainshaft bearings (maybe 4) two 4th gears, 3-4 hubs...

1, My first transaxle rebuild was due to mainshaft bearing migrating forward in bore. You could hear it faintly in top gear against the highway barrier. That was then sleeved and all bearings replaced.

2, My second transaxle rebuild was due to breaking a pinion tooth at SDM in 2011. I have the sound on video.. from shock loading the transaxle. Had I drained the oil I may have saved that box but didn't know about it until a year later when it wouldn't shift. The insides were effed.

3, Other transaxle build, unit stuck in 4th gear. Broken Hub, 4th gear needle cage melted general carnage. Pressed in new main bearing (pressed in very hard) using Proper Loctite cylindrical surface.

4, Other transaxle build, Same unit above, main bearing moved in bore and friend did not care to listen for another 12k miles. Melted 4th gear needle cage, general carnage.

5, Sand blasted 4th gear above returned from Rancho on a client's box.. thrust surface looks good, but has marks from needle bearings in inner race. I measured the marks and the needle bearing last night, none of the surfaces match or make sense. The spacing is too close to be from the contact point of each needle, almost too perfectly spaced to be from two 4th gear vibrating\overheat events...

6, Mainshaft bearing pics above, three show obvious rotational damage (along with 3\4 hub). These were from the melted 4th needle bearing boxes. The one mainshaft bearing that is similar to the ones you are talking about when zoomed in (and I looked under magnifying glass) also show rotational damage. Like it was turned in a lathe.

7, I will look for other pics from when I disassembled these boxes years ago as some of those failed parts are no longer in my shop, to see if 4th\mainshaft bearing contact is visible.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

JBerger, I'd have to say that post is very hard to 'read'. Can you edit post#1 and and put a caption under each pic? I think you'll be hard pressed to get readers without a caption under each pic. Some pics are so similar I can't tell what you want the reader to notice between the pics.

It's too hard to respond.

Great pics though, lots of 'action'! This 'erosion' on the mainshaft bearing race is a very important subject.

Here's a pic I made to __help__ folks understand whats happening at that idler/bearing interface. Most still won't understand it from a pic I think most would have to see the parts (in an opened trans) to understand this problem.

Plz let me know if theres any problem with this image.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Sodo,

Very accurate pic of the 4th gear setup. I definitely do not have the patience to do that. I totally understand your comment on me editing the pics.. however this was meant as a continuation of the off topic discussion in SJ's thread. I did not want to muck up Jael's thread with my pics and these items have been kicking around in my garage for years. I know the dirty 4th gear, one of the main shafts and one of the 3/4 hubs are mine, but the other items have lost their familiar connections in my brain. This is a response to Gears's comments but I do not think he wants to discuss the issue. I have spent quite a few hours yesterday and today reading the Porsche forums (when I should have been doing other things) in order to find the Ah Ha info he has referred to several times. Still searching.

I feel kind of silly because I really don't have a horse in this race. My last build from 2012, mated up to several different custom water boxers is still going strong and I am not nice to this thing. Redline shifts, 5000rpm long pulls in third. Overloaded... The only thing I don't do is cruise at 70mph, unless empty. The only mods I did were welding the main bearing thrust retainer ring to add a bit of crush, omit gasket at LG housing, splash plates, Early type input shaft bearing, sleeved mainshaft bearing and all steel cage needle bearings.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

That erosion is a puzzlement to many. Otherwise someone would post and explain it. I can't yet fathom the heat/metal transfer aspect that Paul/gears has arrived at. It seems like that would happen elsewhere and be a known issue, but it seems to be ONLY in a Syncro transdaxle (?) Why can't Waldi explain it? We need a drivetrain engineer, or a Lubrication engineer.

Consider 3700RPM while in 4th gear. The 4th gear idler is turning 3700RPM = 62 RPSec. There are 50 teeth, so that gear is "singing" at 50x62=3100Hz. Here's 3100Hz.

The geartooth pulsations of 3100Hz is moving the gear like an orbital sander within the slop of the needle bearing and the slop of the mainshaft bearing. Both of which increase over time. At 3700RPM, and HOT, if the oil does not replenish (a theory) the oil boils away at that interface (and is thrown by centrifugal force). Now you have 3100Hz rubbing that dry gear against the bearing like an orbital sander. It could abrade by Fretting (Wikipedia article). Perhaps faster at higher temperatures.

The erosion could be a combination of several different things. Perhaps idling + welding + fretting. One thing is ---- you KNOW that volume of "lost steel" is circulating in your oil causing all sorts of deviltry. Shocked

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Debris is bad, no doubt.

I have not seen any issues with 4th gear teeth themselves... so oil must be carried up by the driven gear (pinion) and delivered to the mesh point. Even when the needle bearing is melted the teeth are untouched.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

It isn't that I don't want to discuss the issue, it's just that I'm certain of what I'm seeing. Melted cages are a symptom, not a cause. Steel caged bearing are never a bad idea (I must have sold 1,000 steel caged conversion sets in Porsche world), but they aren't a solution. They are a band-aid, just like splash plates are.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

gears wrote:
It isn't that I don't want to discuss the issue, it's just that I'm certain of what I'm seeing. Melted cages are a symptom, not a cause. Steel caged bearing are never a bad idea (I must have sold 1,000 steel caged conversion sets in Porsche world), but they aren't a solution. They are a band-aid, just like splash plates are.

I certainly understand where you are coming from. Would you be able to point me to some of the Porsche world threads? I am learning a lot but can't find the Ah Ha.

BTW, I like the Chromoly thrust washer idea. Perhaps a Bronze thrust insert or washer would be better? I get the additional surface area, but that may actually keep oil out and heat in..?

Thank you for the collaboration.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

The ONLY time a circular wear pattern appears on the eroded surface is when end float has been lost. Any other time, the eroded surface has actually increased the side clearance.

Once you realize that the erosion isn't from the gear spinning against the bearing, you understand that it's the result of heat transfer from gear to bearing race. Ah ha ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I accept Gears' theory that heat is the cause and the melted needle cage is a symptom. One of the pics in JBerger's post shows what appears to be false brinelling in the 4th gear idler bore.

That got me thinking. At first blush, it seems impossible that two thrust surfaces rotating at exactly the same speed could not possibly "rub against each other" and therefore, any damage or metal transfer at that thrust interface must have some other cause. Makes sense, right?

But then I thought, maybe those two thrust surfaces are not moving about the same centre of rotation. Is it possible, in addition to the overheated condition of 4th gear idler, that precession and smearing at the thrust surfaces are occurring? My thought on this, looking at JBerger's pics is:

1. the locked 4th idler gear soon expels the trapped gear oil;
2. this is compounded by the gear temp which essentially boils off the small amount of gear oil and gear oil fractions that remain, (almost like a cracking reactor in a refinery);
3. the idler gear ID expands with heat;
4. as a result of the pressure of the gear mesh and the absence of gear oil to fill the needle bearing clearance space, the idler gear is now moving in precession. But, as suggested below, the mainshaft bearing inner race is not moving in precession.
5. To visualize this, think of a Spirograph gear inside a Spirograph geared circle almost the same size. The outer circle represents the idler gear. The inner circle is stationary and represents the mainshaft bore. The 4th gear set is designed and intended to have both the splined gear and the idler gear remain concentric with their respective shafts, but due to factors 1 to 4 above, this does not happen and instead, the idler gear is forced to rotate about the main shaft in a motion that is not concentric. Here's a link to a GIF illustrating the movement I am referring to: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Animation_of_mechanical_precession.gif

6. Meanwhile, the crappy mainshaft bearing is still strong enough to keep the mainshaft itself concentric with the bore that locates it and the bearing remains tight enough, due to lubrication and due to rotating, to remain concentric in its bore.

7. Now what happens is the same as though you held the mainshaft bearing in a fixed position, but rubbed the 4th idler against it axially in an elliptical motion, thus causing the metal smearing and metal transfer.

8. The metal bits oxidize and quickly become even more abrasive in the movement between the mainshaft bearing and the 4th idler and then further add to the heat load.

Here's a link to a bit that the good folks over at SKF have to say about smearing:

http://www.skf.com/cn/en/products/bearings-units-h...index.html

The photos in the SKF article show metal transfer similar in appearance to what JBerger and Gears found in their pics of the thrust surfaces on the idler gears and the mainshaft bearing. The motion between these thrust surfaces is sufficient to cause localized heating sufficient to achieve metal transfer, but possibly not sufficient to distort the entire idler gear or even show the classic overheat bluing, for example, of a crankshaft bearing journal after a failed con rod bearing event.

A method of maintaining the oil film in the idler gear and also cooling it might prevent the events which I posit in 1 -4 above. This seems to suggest gun drilling and pressure lube to the 4th gear idler rollers might be the only long-term solution in this undersized gear train.

Comments, Herman?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

That's probably a good explanation of what's occurring. The extent of erosion is definitely increased by higher horsepower engines, heavier vehicles, longer high speed freeway drives, and IMO most synthetic gear lubes .. all the same factors that cause higher heat in that area. Whatever the exact mechanics of the wear, I expect it will be cured with the various upgrades. (Herman may very well have already cured it.)

What seems counterintuitive is that the harder material (the bearing) is what's eroding.

I don't believe gun drilling and feeding oil through the needles will be the cure. In fact, packing the gear with loose needles (like we used to do for drag race boxes) might be more productive.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Wow. We may need to say "pic heavy" and "heavy mental lifting may be required" for those of us whose knowledge of transmisions end at the knob on the end of the stick thingy Rolling Eyes

Sodo wrote:
...Here's a pic I made to __help__ folks understand whats happening at that idler/bearing interface. Most still won't understand it from a pic I think most would have to see the parts (in an opened trans) to understand this problem.

That helped a lot. I was able to go back up and put jbergers pics into perspective and at least identify the topic and it's possible routes to destruction and make some sense of the follow up conversation (and no worries jberger - i don't have that kind of patience either for uploading labeled sensible pictures...thank you Sodo!). Don't get me wrong, I love this kind of topic, I want to know how these things work (and fail) but some pretty heady science to it. I need all the help I can get. Thank god I have an auto right? Shocked

(...i know, I know, I'll go check out what kinda Christmas lights folks have in they're vans...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Great pics though, lots of 'action'! This 'erosion' on the mainshaft bearing race is a very important subject.

Sodo,

Here it is in action. (The camera is looking in the transaxle at the filler bung hole, above the oiling plate.)

This is at an idle (approx. 800 rpm) while engaging 4th gear and then turning on and off the cooling pump with the cooled oil return nozzle directed at the gap between 4th gear and the MS bearing. (not much room between there) Shocked

The gearbox oil level is right at the bottom of the filler hole and you can see how much is picked up without the cooling pump turned on and off. I am sure at highway speed it is getting thrown around a whole lot more. But it does show how directing the return flow floods 4th gear where it needs to be cooled.

Link

Sodo, I love your pics. I know how much work it is to make these!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's a link to a bit that the good folks over at SKF have to say about smearing:

http://www.skf.com/cn/en/products/bearings-units-h...index.html

The photos in the SKF article show metal transfer similar in appearance to what JBerger and Gears found in their pics of the thrust surfaces on the idler gears and the mainshaft bearing. The motion between these thrust surfaces is sufficient to cause localized heating sufficient to achieve metal transfer, but possibly not sufficient to distort the entire idler gear or even show the classic overheat bluing, for example, of a crankshaft bearing journal after a failed con rod bearing event.

I am beginning to understand. Small differences in rotational center between the mainshaft bearing and a loaded 4th gear create an oscillating connection. Add some grit from oil fines and you have a make shift hone.

The SKF link illustrates something similar, but different. Sort of like what Sodo's Pinion bearing experienced by being artificially preloaded to hell.

Keeping the Hone thought in mind, wouldn't adding a larger thrust surface as Gears is suggesting actually contribute to heat, or would it serve to stabilize 4th gear's oscillation? I agree that solid pack needles would be the best available improvement... didn't Long Enterprises laud the benefits decades ago? Why not replace the needle bearing assembly with a precision fit bronze bushing with thrust surface? Have the mainshaft thrust ground a bit and slip in the bushing (machined for oiling channels)..
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

That sucks. I had some concerns on the condition of my original Syncro trans (with 220k miles) before I drove cross-country a few months ago. I was going to install a fill/drain plug plumbing kit from Sodo, but decided to just flush it & refill it with Swepco 201 after talking to Sodo about it.

No issues so far. When I topped it off, I did jack up the front of the van so I could overfill it.

Averaged 65-72 MPH loaded heavy 3300 miles. 28" tires, original 4.86, & driveshaft removed

I'm going to drain it at 6000 miles to check the condition of the lube.

Last edited by tjet on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
wouldn't adding a larger thrust surface as Gears is suggesting actually contribute to heat, or would it serve to stabilize 4th gear's oscillation?

Keeping the same thrust force but increasing the area would reduce the thrust pressure. Perhaps within the limit that lubrication can accommodate. Lubrication and reduced temperature is required though.

jberger wrote:
Small differences in rotational center between the mainshaft bearing and a loaded 4th gear create an oscillating connection. Add some grit from oil fines and you have a make shift hone.

Then add the vibrational input from the gearteeth and you have a rotating, orbital sander. 3100Hz at 3700RPM on a 50-tooth idler. There's another vibrational input, engine pulsation. At 3,700 RPM (~ 70mph) a 4cyl pulses at (3700/60)*2= 123Hz. (6 cyl= 185Hz). We don't know the frequency of the precession that Howesight mentioned. But if these various vibrations have a resonant frequency (where they align their amplitudes) I think it could likely culminate in a violent erosion. A resonance at that location (the 4th gear and mainshaft bearing juncture) could also stress the case so hard as to move (and or fail) the mainshaft bearing in its bore.

I would THINK if there is a resonance causing this much erosion it could "be heard". It would be at a fairly specific RPM. There is some "--- reason ---" for this violent erosion at this interface. These are very good observations. I'm happy that folks are WORKING on this.

Maybe this has to be researched by recording "sound"? Video too.

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

jberger, do you have a decoupler installed?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
jberger, do you have a decoupler installed?

Yes and no... My driveshaft is decoupled itself, leaving the stock transaxle nosecone in place.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Quote:
jberger wrote:
wouldn't adding a larger thrust surface as Gears is suggesting actually contribute to heat, or would it serve to stabilize 4th gear's oscillation?

Keeping the same thrust force but increasing the area would reduce the thrust pressure. Perhaps within the limit that lubrication can accommodate. Lubrication and reduced temperature is required though.

jberger wrote:
Small differences in rotational center between the mainshaft bearing and a loaded 4th gear create an oscillating connection. Add some grit from oil fines and you have a make shift hone.

Ah.. although it's not really about thrust pressure but more about the oscillation\vibration, if you increase the surface area (unless it is self lubricated) you create more friction and heat... right?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Some chat about plain bearings taking over the roll of rollers..

http://machinedesign.com/technologies/plain-bearings-outperform-rolling-element-bearings

Flanged bushing example

https://www.ggbearings.com/en/products/metal-polymer/dp31
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: