Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Doesn't Hyundai use plain bearings in their throwaway transmissions?

I'm not sure how long they would last without some oil pressure to float the shaft & remove heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Howsight, I owe you. Thanks for taking the time to research that. You join a list of Samba guys (recently including Sodo and Waldi) who have helped me reach another ah ha moment (as usual, laying in bed in the middle of the night).

When VW bean counters removed a couple thrust washers in the transmission in order to save $2, they did us no favors. 1st gear thrust washer was removed, and then 4th gear thrust washer.

With a helical gear (as compared to a straight-cut spur gear), the idler is always fighting between staying in design mesh with the fixed gear, and cocking as contact moves from one side of the tooth to the other. If both gears halves were fixed on the shaft, this wouldn't be an issue .. but because the idler must be free floating on the shaft in an automotive transmission, it needs to run on needle bearings (or a bushing) and this requires clearance.

In drag racing, I was always amazed at the cocked wear on 1st gear idler, even though we ran on hand-packed loose needles, with as little bore clearance as we dared. The idler teeth were ALWAYS worn dramatically on one side, while barely contacting on the other.

With our 4th gears having such a small diameter thrust surface, the greater the bore clearance, the higher degree of cocking we'll see. It's a quandary, because bore clearance is required.

Anyhow, this seems the only explanation that accepts both my observation that the wear in question isn't the result of spinning action, and Waldi's insistence that not enough heat exists to cause damage to the gear. My mind was in a rut because of the extreme heat we'd see in Porsche racing, in which 300*+ oil temperature is the norm, and long gear life is anything greater than 30 hours.

So, will this new thrust washer help? I don't know. I think it will help a little .. but because it isn't fixed to the shaft, it isn't the perfect answer. I think erosion of the bearing will be reduced, but it won't be an absolute cure.

So, does this make cooling of 4th gear a wasted exercise? No, not at all. We're still removing heat from the second greatest heat source in the transaxle. Both Sodo and David Hines have reported a small spike in oil temperature when the pump is activated (followed of course by temperature reduction). So even though most guys aren't oiling the all-important pinion bearing, they're still cooling the oil and filtering out damaging particles that cause accelerated wear.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

It's funny you should bring that up, JB. That was another realization I had last night. That's where a gun-drilled mainshaft would be necessary. We had actually contemplated running ultra-low 3rd gears directly on the shaft with no bearing or bushing at all, as this has been done successfully before. Even the splitcase VW transaxle ran on cross-grooved bronze bushings, so it's far from a silly idea.

I'm going back to bed now ;^)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

gears wrote:
That's probably a good explanation of what's occurring. The extent of erosion is definitely increased by higher horsepower engines, heavier vehicles, longer high speed freeway drives, and IMO most synthetic gear lubes .. all the same factors that cause higher heat in that area. Whatever the exact mechanics of the wear, I expect it will be cured with the various upgrades. (Herman may very well have already cured it.)

What seems counterintuitive is that the harder material (the bearing) is what's eroding.

I don't believe gun drilling and feeding oil through the needles will be the cure. In fact, packing the gear with loose needles (like we used to do for drag race boxes) might be more productive.

Been following this post for the last few days. Huge thanks for JL for launching the topic and jberger for a deep dive, although it can make one's stomach turn a bit if you are rolling around with a heavy van, larger engine, etc...

Hey Gears,

You mention certain synthetic gear oil can be a detriment to 4th gear failures... Would using Swepco 202 - full synthetic fall under this opinion as well? I ask because I am about to change oil and would be open to the idea of trying something new if it would help for ease of shifting when cold, etc.

Do you still use and recommend Swepco 201? I have religiously used Swepco 201 80/90w and do 10-15K oil change intervals.

I am running a 212HP H6 Subaru, van weighs on the heavier side 5200 Lbs, do long road trips, highway miles, etc. ---- not the ideal recipe as these posts indicate.

On the Bright side: My driving habit is quite mellow, rarely over 65 mph, had the trans rebuilt 10K miles ago with every upgrade - plates, all aluminum gear housing, mainshaft retainer, new weddle gears/parts including .89 4th to match H6 powerband and tire size, ports for cooling, (although I still need to add the weddle cooler Shocked ).

As an FYI since folks are asking how many miles for an expedition weighted rig::: the last trans lasted me 70K miles with that H6 powerplant pushing it the entire time. I pulled it as soon as I heard a small bearing whine last year. Upon evaluation after 70K miles: whine was just a worn pinion bearing, which I found out that AA was using used Pinion bearings as that was what was available at the time. There was some wear on 4th gear, but still had life left...
Could it have gone 100K? I would suspect yes if the Pinion Bearing was new at the last rebuild...

cheers...

Last edited by Rjhdog on Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I have a hard time with 65mph, I like 70-74 mph. I wonder if there could be a resonance condition that occurs over 65..... and if you stay under 65mph your 4th gear/bearing/end-of-mainshaft area doesn't resonate. This phenomenon HAS to "show up" acoustically! I think we need to "listen" to this trans.

gears wrote:
When VW bean counters removed a couple thrust washers in the transmission in order to save $2, they did us no favors. 1st gear thrust washer was removed, and then 4th gear thrust washer.

Agreed. But VW didn't need to do any favors. Aside from the cracking 3rd-4th hubs, everything else lasts the life of the vehicle, even never recommending a single oil change (90 hp). This is actually an engineering marvel (to conform engineering with the goals of the bean-counters). The job of "everlasting life" falls on the shoulders of the "antiquer communty". I highly doubt if there is an antiquing community for the Dodge minivan (that killed the Vanagon) expressing concerns at this level.

Interesting note about the polymer bushings. I heard from the maker of Van Cafe's decoupler, that the consulting engineer advised use of a polymer bearing instead of a needle bearing. When OEM transmission manufacturers are using polymer bearings to transfer FULL power across, it's sure seems reasonable that the VanCafe decoupler can use a polymer bearing as an idler (for the decoupled condition).

Anyway, great stuff. Howesight you have unearthed some very useful information! Have you ever thought of being an engineer?
Rolling Eyes Sorry didn't wanna suggest wrecking your social life.... Rolling Eyes

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Rjhdog wrote:

Hey Gears,

You mention certain synthetic gear oil can be a detriment to 4th gear failures... Would using Swepco 202 - full synthetic fall under this opinion as well? I ask because I am about to change oil and would be open to the idea of trying something new if it would help for ease of shifting when cold, etc.

Do you still use and recommend Swepco 201? I have religiously used Swepco 201 80/90w and do 10-15K oil change intervals.

cheers...

I have been running Swepco 202 in this latest rebuild. There have been many low teen degree mornings and shifts are still very smooth and easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Rjhdog wrote:

Hey Gears,

cheers...

I have been running Swepco 202 in this latest rebuild. There have been many low teen degree mornings and shifts are still very smooth and easy.

Great to hear amigo. Are you the first to give 202 a go? - I wouldnt mind super smooth shifting when cold.
Did you find any other longer term success stories using 202 out there?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

From what I learned in a conversation yesterday, I'll back off from my previous stance on moly oils. That said, another oil guy told us last year that he's seen inconsistency in Swepco products lately. I was referred to even another oil guy who I'll be talking to next week. I think I'll soon have a new oil recommendation for our vans.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I don't think THIS is an oil brand issue. Its too violent. Theres no oil in the world that can allow this kind of erosion while at the same time, lubricating satisfactorily on the rest of this (undersized) transmission.

Consequently, with such a condition you'd want the best oil, and cleanliness too. But oil isn't going to solve it. Is the best oil even 2% better than good oil? 1%? 5%? How many percent CAN you get from better oil? I bet....you get a LOT more from cool oil than from the best HOT oil. Its simply thicker.

This looks like a resonant condition between the elements of 4th gear and the mainshaft and the nearby bearings, housings. And heat makes it worse. I am repeating this in hopes of getting the attention of a drivetrain or lubrication engineer. But agreed you can't just conjure a good one up like a witch (for example). Laughing Laughing

I'd like to hear from some transmission builders wrt the conditions
---->when this erosion on the MS inner race is found. I understand this can be difficult as most trannies are trashed by the time this is unearthed. And have run thousands of miles in a horrible grinding metal soup.

1) 2wd or "4wd only"?
2) what ratios?
3) what engines?
4) is an eroded MS bearing ever in good shape (smooth rolling)?
5) the housing- is there evidence the M/S bearing is moving?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

The oil comments were directed to Rj's question. I think you can give top oils FAR better than 1% improvement. In severe racing conditions, the better oils become VERY obvious. If you can postpone the snowball, general gear face and bearing wear can be delayed. (That said, I wouldn't consider building an oiling system without some sort of magnetic filter, thanks to your input, Sodo.)

Some photos were sent to me a day or two ago showing extreme wear on the engagement teeth of a relatively low mileage OE 4th gear. The builder surmised that too thin an oil was used. There could easily be another explanation, but I can't disregard the opinion of that particular builder.

I can say from experience that the most knowledgeable engineers surprisingly learn a lot from guys in the field. I've seen this time & again.

Yes, I've seen otherwise acceptable bearings with substantial erosion. The increased gap doesn't really bother me much .. but I'd never reuse a MS bearing once in there. Put it aside for a rainy day perhaps ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Thanks all.
So knowing what we know now at this point:::

Stick with Swepco 201

Or

Give 202 full synthetic a try?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

If one considers a gun-drilled mainshaft for pressure oiling the 3rd and 4th idler gears, and also JB's idea of using plain bearings (I presume for 3rd and 4th gears only), then:

1. should the plain bearing rotate with (ie, at the same speed as) the mainshaft so that the plain bearing slides against the idler gears' ID? or

2. should the bearing surface interface be at the mainshaft with the plain bearing fixed to the gear ID?

Since gears are cheaper to replace than mainshafts and a bearing affixed to the mainshaft (by a light press-fit) would prevent mainshaft surface wear, maybe #1 is the preferred approach? But approach #2 would allow for honing of the ID of the plain bearing after installation in the idler gear, making for a more precise fit and an easier/simpler machining and pressing operation. Maybe Weddle could be persuaded to manufacture and pre-install the plain bearings in these idler gears?

Plain bearings will also require more pressure in the gear oil pump than some of the electric pumps can reliably provide. This appears not to be a difficult challenge if you use Herman's clever idea of the VW power steering pump. Plain bearings and pressure lube might require avoiding the thicker gear oils. I use Swepco 210 in my non-cooler transaxle at present and I think that might be far too viscous.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

I don't see a real need for 1-3rd gears to have a plain bearing installed as they don't seem to suffer the same damage. Also, 3rd gear would require a 2 piece bearing due to the splines for the 3-4 hub. 4th gear bearing should be completely doable, including a thrust surface (which will require a clearance ground main bearing).
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
I don't see a real need for 1-3rd gears to have a plain bearing installed as they don't seem to suffer the same damage. Also, 3rd gear would require a 2 piece bearing due to the splines for the 3-4 hub. 4th gear bearing should be completely doable, including a thrust surface (which will require a clearance ground main bearing).

Yup. I forgot that the needle cage for 3rd is a split cage. I still haven't taken one of these apart past R and R of the bellhousing, diff carrier and the decoupler. All my knowledge so far is from the words and pics of you guys and other pics all over the web. I agree that 4th gear appears to be the real problem area on the transmission side, especially for freeway leadfoots like Mrs. Howesight and I. (She's the bigger culprit - - I wake up to discover her going 80mph with a sheepish grin on her face!!)

On the pinion side, filtered, cool gear oil will hopefully reduce pinion bearing wear to the point that pinions will start lasting longer - - hopefully including the Klingelnberg Palloid units from Weddle. Herman's experience seems to support the positive reduction of pinion bearing wear.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

Lol .. We could just make straight-cut gear sets like our early prototypes, to avoid the gear cocking issue altogether ;^ )
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1129657.jpg
Those are actually the 091 mainshafts for which we contemplated using a free-floating, two-piece, bronze bushing, to accommodate ultra-low 3rd gears.

But seriously .. the needle bearing area itself isn't a problem. From Rancho's report of seeing similar wear in the Berg Type I 5-speed, and their cure of the issue with added oiling, combined with Herman's report today of virtually no wear in his oiled trans, cooling oil directed onto 4th gear may have already solved the issue. Fingers crossed, anyhow ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

gears wrote:
.. the needle bearing area itself isn't a problem.

I wonder if......it's a combination like:

1) tolerances, such that SOME 4th gear idlers are sloppy on it's needle bearing & mainshaft
2) a big engine
3) 70mph+ freeway running for hours in the hot summertime
4) + contaminated oil

At first glance it doesn't seem important because when in gears 1-3 it's just idling. And when in 4th, it's locked to the hub. BUT wait - is there precession + vibratory motion + contamination + thrust forces between 4th gear and the bearing race due to this slop? Could be, could be, could be and yes. And there could be a resonance condition too (at some RPM). Slop invites a resonance condition.

I tend to suspect contaminated oil has a part in about every (accelerated) wear event. Contamination can do nothing else other than downgrade lubricity, and it gets worse with every revolution of the trans (it snowballs). And I think nobody's checking for it, because it's difficult and off their radar. I blame Tom Lengyel for this affliction. He set me off in the corner with the ultrasonic cleaner to think about it. Made me clean every part in the ultrasonic bath and blow it off with triple-filtered shop air.

So, back to the "problem area". Does a rebuilder measure and validate the 'slop' in the 4th gear idler? Maybe only the sloppy idlers wear out the 4th gear/bearing race interface. And the tight ones go the distance. So that's a question for rebuilders. Do you CHECK the slop on 4th gear idler, even with all new parts? Does it vary?

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Transaxle failed 4th and mainshaft bearings (Pic Heavy Reply with quote

The bores certainly do vary. In fact, when installing loose needles (where you're installing almost double the number of needles), you'll always need to hone the gear for a bit more clearance. In doing so, you'll often find the bore to be a tapered shape .. tighter at one end than the other.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: