Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boxster 1.8t
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

I'm putting a 1.8t in my Boxster.......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

You never cease to amaze me, Andrew. Nice work ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Do you have a build log anywhere?
That is something I have been thinking about for quite a while now.

Rob
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

no build log, sorry. You'll just have to go off the pictures. The nice part is, the engine just bolts right up to the transmission. The engine mount needs an adapter made to bolt it up to the engine. The coolant hoses need to be adapted to the Porsche. Wiring needs to be tied in. Exhaust too, I'm just using one of the Stock Converters and no muffler for now, the turbo acts as a muffler.
One thing I am not certain on yet is how the gearing will be with this engine. If it's too tall, I'll just put one in from a 1.8t Passat. The Boxster uses the same transmission, just different gearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Bravo!

What is the DME situation/plan?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

GLIDE wrote:
Bravo!

What is the DME situation/plan?

The engine is running with the stock 1.8t ECM, The Porsche DME has been removed. The car starts and runs now, next step is to complete the intercooler/intake system and then complete the matching of the gauges to the engine. It's parked now, I got side tracked with my Bay window bus 1.8t/5 speed project.

Andrew-
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

I don't get this.... why?
Cheaper running costs or something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
falcor75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

He probably bought a cheap Boxster with a blown engine. 1.8t's are much cheaper and more plentifull than Porsche 6's.

https://www.instagram.com/914rs/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flightpath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

I want to put a 1.8t with a boxster s trans in a 914. I have both trans and engine. how did you overcome the starter issue?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

flightpath wrote:
I want to put a 1.8t with a boxster s trans in a 914. I have both trans and engine. how did you overcome the starter issue?

Just use the 1.8t starter, its made to bolt right up to the Boxster transmission.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

falcor75 wrote:
He probably bought a cheap Boxster with a blown engine. 1.8t's are much cheaper and more plentifull than Porsche 6's.

Exactly this. There are plenty of Boxsters in beautiful shape with dead engines because of the IMS issues. The 1.8t can give you the same HP, save about 150 lbs, and at a fraction of the price.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
no build log, sorry. You'll just have to go off the pictures. The nice part is, the engine just bolts right up to the transmission. The engine mount needs an adapter made to bolt it up to the engine. The coolant hoses need to be adapted to the Porsche. Wiring needs to be tied in. Exhaust too, I'm just using one of the Stock Converters and no muffler for now, the turbo acts as a muffler.

One thing I am not certain on yet is how the gearing will be with this engine. If it's too tall, I'll just put one in from a 1.8t Passat. The Boxster uses the same transmission, just different gearing.

Tall gears are good if you want to get into boost early, you cant build boost if the motor is spinning to freely. I would go with a Center Force dual friction clutch assy., so you don't burn up your stock clutch.
flightpath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

what flywheel, clutch and starter did you use? the 1.8t starter originally bolted to the trans side.
falcor75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
falcor75 wrote:

Exactly this. There are plenty of Boxsters in beautiful shape with dead engines because of the IMS issues. The 1.8t can give you the same HP, save about 150 lbs, and at a fraction of the price.

Cool build, I built a Mk1 Scirocco with a AJL Engine out of an Audi A4, sold it in 2010.

Might have to look into the possibilities of doing a Boxster when I'm done with my 914. Smile

https://www.instagram.com/914rs/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

flightpath wrote:
what flywheel, clutch and starter did you use? the 1.8t starter originally bolted to the trans side.

Passat flywheel, clutch, and starter.
sjbartley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Did you adapt the 1.8t engine harness to the boxster? Very cool idea could be a great ride with that weight loss.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

sjbartley wrote:
Did you adapt the 1.8t engine harness to the boxster? Very cool idea could be a great ride with that weight loss.

yes, It's not all done yet though. All the gauges are not tied in yet. I haven't touched this car in a few months other than to drive it in and out of storage. I'm in the middle of other very big jobs. Hope to be back to it soon.
mikemannn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Hey !
Just signed up because I'm doing this swap as well.. I kinda stumbled on this thread looking at wiring diagrams Smile
I seem to stumble on TheSamba quite a bit , but haven't ever signed up.

Any more progress to share on yours?

Cheers -
Mike
Markbyler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Subscribed for an update?

Mark-
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxster 1.8t Reply with quote

Hey guys, how about an update for those that are following.

The Boxster sat untouched for over a year. I had a very busy year building a new house on top of a mountain. I moved into it in May and am enjoying the off-grid life. Last week I found some time to bring in the Porsche and put some more time into it. When I had last worked on it, the engine was in and mounted and would yard drive but had not road-tested.

I had to put a bulge in the rear engine cover to make it clear the engine. I got all the intake lines and hoses hooked up, neatened up a lot of the wiring, and finished up the cooling system. I then got to finally take it out on the road for that long awaited first road test. It was very rewarding, the car feels very nice. I'm running an APR tune that should bring the power to around 200hp, the stock flat 6 cylinder of the Boxster was 209hp. The new engine reduces the weight about 150lbs.

Stay tuned for a video coming soon........

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: