Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slow moving resto of 66 DC
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

I picked up a 66 DC a while ago (about 4 years now), but due to other obligations, I haven't been able to work on it at all. Some of my time is starting to free up, I'm going to get going on putting this old girl back on the road. Here's a picture of the day I got it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks almost exactly the same today. Since I know it will need some major metal work that I can't handle right now (no welder, yet), I am starting with some of the more manageable bits. The first on my list is the front window frames. Problem already.

It looks like the hole was drilled in the screws and probably messed up the thread. Either way, neither screw will budge, even after two weeks of soaking with pb blaster and some heat occasionally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

... just think, it's appreciating, in value, just leaving it alone, till you get to it... you could let it sit another 10 years and sell... better than money in the bank... no rush
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
you could let it sit another 10 years and sell... better than money in the bank... no rush

That would suck. I want to drive it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to straighten the rear area where it meets up with the engine breast tin. I was thinking about making a template out of wood and use that to bend the metal back into place, using that the the tin as a guide. Any suggestions how to bend down the bump on the right side?

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how to straighten the rear area where it meets up with the engine breast tin. I was thinking about making a template out of wood and use that to bend the metal back into place, using that the the tin as a guide. Any suggestions how to bend down the bump on the right side?

If you've got the woodworking skills a pair of templates forming half the curve over the bell housing should do it. Use the good side to get the shape and make an outer and innner template to sandwich the 'good' curve between. Flip them round for the bent side and use a series of clamps to squeeze the templates together. Work back and forth between the clamps to squeeze it evenly.

I did that on a smaller scale on a compound curve that formed the of the lip of the tailgate on a daily driver car a while back. Someone reversed in to it while the tailgate was closed and bent the lip in and under, but didn't break the paint. I was able to get it back perfectly using the above method.

I did something similar last year on the engine lid of my truck using a pair of 2 x 4 timbers, although the damage was more severe than the tailgate example, but it still got it straight enough to fit a new valance panel.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

During disassembly, I found that this "button" doesn't do anything. It doesn't move, and I'm having a heck of a time removing it. There are three wires connected to it, but the wiring in this truck is a mess. It doesn't seem like there is a switch or button like it in the wiring diagram, unless I'm missing it, which is entirely possible.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

AFAIK someone added that and there should be nothing there on a Double Cab

I suspect the ring around the outside unscrews but it's probably frozen.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

Pop out frame will need nuts welded onto what is left of the screw heads.

Work on the stuff you can get to now like the engine body to engine tin, de-rust and epoxy cold galv primer, cut out rust areas that are totally toast, EG front floor.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

If it wasn't for the earth rotating, this DC wouldn't have moved for the last 4-5 years. Life got in the way (and continues to do so), but I've recently acquired a welder, a blaster, a blast cabinet, a trailer, and a few other tools. I've also married into a family with some experienced metal workers. My daughter took a picture of the DC loaded on the trailer last night, and it looks kind of surreal. Hopefully once I get it to Detroit, I'll be able to finally start working on it.

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
If it wasn't for the earth rotating, this DC wouldn't have moved for the last 4-5 years. Life got in the way (and continues to do so), but I've recently acquired a welder, a blaster, a blast cabinet, a trailer, and a few other tools. I've also married into a family with some experienced metal workers. My daughter took a picture of the DC loaded on the trailer last night, and it looks kind of surreal. Hopefully once I get it to Detroit, I'll be able to finally start working on it.

Although it gets in the way, Dr. Ian Malcolm said it best "Life, uh, finds a way." Any progress is still progress, and it sounds like you're picking up steam. Keep at it!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

Even little by little adds up.
Perhaps your daughter will be your helper?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
Even little by little adds up.
Perhaps your daughter will be your helper?

She likes to help, but she’s off to college in two weeks. The colors I’m planning to paint it are her choice, but that’s mostly because I don’t care what color it is.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

About 3 months ago, I pulled the original swing axle transmission. I had a local transmission shop look at rebuilding it. They told me it was not worth it, as the actual shell was cracked. Since I had an IRS already being built for my bug, I decided to reroute that to the DC.

Then I bought Wagenswest IRS setup, along with some type 1 trailing arms.
Got some 930 CVs, axles, 100mm forged stub axles, type 3 backing plates and drums for the rear.

Now I'm looking for the other "non-consumable" items in the mix.

Should I be looking for type 3 "spacers" or "oil slingers"? I think that's what the part is called that holds the backing plate to the trailing arm. I need the bolts and spreader bar (hoping to retain e-brake) also.

I think I can use the 45mm type 3 brake shoes and spring kit for the rest of the consumable items.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

Quite possibly the slowest progressing resto on the samba. But, trying to move forward with whatever little progress I can document. Trying to save money for the downpayment on a house, while resisting the urge to sell the DC to finance it is tough.

I forgot to include the frames in the pictures, and noticed I haven't primed the vent window frames yet. I have some NOS vent wing latches, and trying to come up with the best way to install the rivets for them. I also removed the bent latch plates, so I need to figure out how to reinstall those things. I have the rivets for those as well, but there is little to no information on how the latch plate rivets are installed.

1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

I don't think it's the slowest progressing. Come check me out sometime haha. Keep us posted
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

I started laying out all the parts I have so far. I have a list of parts I know I have somewhere but haven't found yet too.

Laying all these parts out inspired me to mount my sign until the new house is built. I'm plannng for much larger than a two-car garage.

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:

You messed up buddy, wrong logo Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
or maybe you haven't told us the whole story on your car fleet (don't get me wrong, I like that brand as well) Cool

Last edited by tisius on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

Damn that's a big ass biscuit! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

tisius wrote:

You messed up buddy, wrong logo Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
or maybe you haven't told us the whole story on your car fleet (don't get me wrong, I like that brand as well) Cool

I have an '02 S4 that is my daily and an '83 Quattro that's been stored away in my cousin's barn for more years than I care to remember.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow moving resto of 66 DC Reply with quote

To give equal time to one of my other dealership signs, I guess I’ll post that one as well.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: