Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A bus (and vw) newbie....
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

I have owned 58 cars so far and #59 is a project my wife suggested. Its a VW split window bus. fresh off a 3 year restoration of a 74 MGB http://www.mgexp.com/member/chgrec#journal I just sold, my wife wanted me to do a VW bus and she specifically suggested a split window because of the look. Since I love my wife and she is much smarter than I am, I agreed.

So I begin with a double door van....One because I could afford it and two because it lends itself well to the vision my wife and I have toward the end result. That end result I'll share later....

For now, I'll share the starting point and try to post as I go forward. I had a blog on the MG experience but didn't see blog spot here so a new topic seemed to be the best way to share this journey. I love to work on cars and really love learning new marquees as well as have a respect for the engineering that went in to different cars so I will try to stay true to what the original designers thought with a nod to some modern conveniences....

Hopefully I can help others learn as I am sure to learn from others here....
First step, rip the floors....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

59 vehicles, that sounds like my house. Very Happy I only have 2 MGB's anymore but the rust is the same story as buses so you already know what to do. I suggest the Klassic Fab metal for starters. Keep on keeping on mr.! Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Yeah, rust is rust no matter what country made it...cut, replace & weld is the mantra regardless. The trick is to know what to leave in place while you cut to keep the structure sound. I have read a lot of posts here and will continue to research & learn as I go...

Gotta love it!

Chris
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

You have your work cut out for you. I have seen this bus many times, the seller is an old friend. Glad he found some one willing to save it. Good luck would love to stop by and check on the progress.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Patina monster, Bravo for taking on such a task,

I will be watching for updates. Popcorn

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Welcome to the Dark Side !! Laughing

That is one Patina Monster !!

I don't know much about the MG crowd, but most Bus people are a pretty helpful bunch, lots of RUST repair info, since so many here have been thru it.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Looking forward to watching the progress!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
Looking forward to watching the progress!

Same here!

This bus looks familiar. Did you get it from Bruce Key by any chance?

Best of luck with it, I hope I get to see it at a show in the future.
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Thanks all...I couldn't have done the extensive restoration on the MGB without the MGexp.com web site and from what I have seen, this site seems just as helpful.

I got the bus from Ric @ rusty tubs in Roswell (ironic) and I enjoyed chatting with him as he had a ton of knowledge and some interesting projects.

I have been searching here and have already learned a bunch so far and I am really excited to work on the bus. I'll share as I am able.

Chris
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Chris, it sounds like you are the right person to repair this bus considering your experience. I'm looking forward to your progress.

I'm thinking now that this bus may have passed through Herrell bug parts inventory at some point, I know I've seen it in person before. It doesn't really matter though, it's in the right hands now!

Smile Red Bus
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

... you'll find lotza' parts for the bus resto... doing a 1962 Austin Healey Sprite, right now, What fun.
VWs are a different animal... best wishes...
You gunna paint that DD?
Also, workin' on a 1962 Bus and leaving the original red paint, where I can.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

I am indeed going to paint it as its original color was a very nice green. L380 Green according to the M plate. It will take me a few weeks to get all the toasted metal off the bottom half of the bus as I only work on it a couple hours each weeknight.

I have ordered a variety of initial replacement steel bits from a variety of places (Wolfsburg west, bus depot, Klassic fab) so I can get a feel for each place's quality & ordering process.

I am amazed how rusted the nuts and bolts are though not really surprised given the appearance. I have had to cut a few off but many are breaking free after soaking in PB blaster and hitting it with an air wrench. So back to the cutting and now it's a Flintstone bus.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

a turquoise double door panel, very cool, should look sharp when done!

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Working my way through it still....Yeah, there's a little rust...I got all the doors off though I had to drill a few screws. I figure I'll leave it on its suspension for now, at least until I get the structural bits replaced. I may also weld in some re-enforcement to keep the "frame" straight and true. Seems that's the only part that's not rusted and Id hate to goof it up but twisting it before its ready.

Then I'll see if it will fit on my home made rotisserie I used for my B. Might only need a little tailoring to fit.

Got some of my first replacement metal today and more is coming tomorrow.
Should keep me busy through the holidays!

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Go get'em!

The only other Turkis double door panel I've seen is the Stafford Egg bus.

Here's basically what it used to look like... a little inspiration for ya:

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

chgrec wrote:
Working my way through it still....
Should keep me busy through the holidays!

I think that would keep me busy through the 2018 holidays!

Way to jump in and get to it, I'm already impressed.
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I am motivated to get this done in much less time that the MGB took. I got some of my new metal yesterday, very exciting to see what it should look like without all that pesky rust. Hard to make much progress this time of year with all the Christmas events, family things and church stuff but those are priorities.

So slowly I cut, bit by bit....

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Maybe this would be a good time to brace the body some like you mentioned? With as little of floor as it had before though, I'm not sure if it's going to make a difference if it's not going on the rotisserie yet. It may have twisted some already over the years if it was going to.

You may have to just figure out what the measurements should be so the doors and everything line up right when you weld it all up. I'm no expert on metal work but I'm sure some others (and old threads) can give you good advice on this if you need it.

Were there any signs left of the belly pans or were they totally rusted away?
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

Bracing is the next step and I have found some detailed dimensions here and on other sites that I'll reference to make sure its all lined up properly.

The doors, as rusty as they are, all closed with good gaps so I am pretty confident its still "square". I figure as long as I keep it level on the floor and on its suspension, I should be ok to weld up the bracing and then roll it over....

My theory will be tested when I put it all back together!

Chris

Edit: And I missed your question....Yes, the center belly pan & the passenger side were both intact and attached. Not salvageable but intact. The driver side was 1/2 gone...
chgrec Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A bus (and vw) newbie.... Reply with quote

ooohhhh ..... aaaahhhhh.... Got me some shiny new metal!

I was able to do a quick test fit before the holiday break. After all the cutting, I just had to get a little instant gratification since I wont get back to it until after the 1st of the year with all we have going on.

Have a Merry Christmas & Happy new year!
(or what ever you may or may not celebrate this time if year)

Chris

(and yes, there is an extra cross member up front. I accidently ordered 4 instead of 3 and it just seemed to make sense to use it instead of returning it)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: