Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VBCoach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

Could you help me with a Christmas present? I am searching for a very special piece of my husband's childhood. His father was a Volkswagen dealership owner in the 1980's before he tragically passed away of a heart attack on the dealership lot. My husband was only 16 at the time. The dealership was located in Lakeland, Florida. We just recently found a picture of a license plate frame by accident on the internet and now I am on the hunt to get my husband one, since he has no memorabilia from his Dad's dealership. I have searched eBay, I'm joining VW sites, and hoping and praying that someone might have a piece of his history laying around and willing to part with it so he may have some great memories. We are not local (currently living in Ohio) so I am reaching out to everyone I can. If you would have any information I would appreciate some help. Believing in Christmas miracles this year!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

Probably better to post a want to buy (WTB) ad in the classifieds.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

True. They have an ad running as well.
I tried to assist them in where the photo above came from but unfortunately I think I grabbed it from eBay at time in the past (looks like 2012) and do not the know buyer or seller.

General moderator note:
Normally we don't allow wanted ads in the Forums but I have decided to leave this thread intact as it might be informative in the future for members to be able to contact the family that used to own/operate this dealership.
Or in case any other dealer materials or history surfaces.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VBCoach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

Thank you to all of you who have been keeping an eye out for this plate frame. Unfortunately, we have been unable to locate one yet, but I wanted to let you know that we really appreciate your help. Thanks also to the Admin who so graciously agreed to allow me to post. If anyone ever finds any of my father-in-law's memorabilia I would be so grateful if you would reach out and let me know. Thank you all, Happy New Year 2017!
VBCoach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

Well..another Christmas will be coming soon and we are still searching for this plate frame. Unfortunately, I let my search lapse over the year and discovered last night that one was sold on Ebay during the month of August. Sad

Please continue to keep an eye out for one. Thanks so very much in advance!
VBCoach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

Wanted to share with the Samba community an email that I sent to Mr. Barnes today. Thank you all for the support and helping me to search.

Mr. Barnes,

About a year ago, I requested permission to place an ad on your site, The Samba, as I was seeking out a license plate frame from the Dick Curts, Lakeland, Florida VW dealership.

I had shared with you the fact that my husband had lost his father very young and my husband and happened upon a picture of a plate frame online.

You graciously allowed me to join your group. Waived a rule of an In Search Of post and then just this year renewed my "subscription" when I had still not found the frame.

Well.....I want to give you an update. What a Merry Christmas in our house today, as I found the plate frame after a lengthy eBay search and a very gracious buyer who after read about our search sent the frame to me (without asking for any money or anything in return).

Today, I was able to present this precious piece of my husband's childhood to him as a gift from a stranger. He was, as you would suspect, overcome with emotion, and words can not express his gratitude of having such a valuable artifact of a memory from his father's life.

Thank you, very much for allowing me to post on your site. I would like to know if there is an appropriate way for me to share our updated story to your readers.

Blessed be to you and Merry Christmas!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

I emailed you back but for the public...

This is awesome!
I am glad you found one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

Talk about a wonderful Christmas story! Very Happy
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

nice story. Glad there are still nice people out there.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Dick Curts FL license plate frame Reply with quote

Great Story with a happy ending....It took me 30-40 seconds to figure out who "Mr. Barnes" was. Embarassed
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: