Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello from the UK!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I’ve actually been to Alnwick , pronounced Annik, so you know I’ve really been there. Looks like a great trip. Good to see you enjoying your bus.

Annik is lovely, it’s a town we haven’t yet visited on our camping travels however, we will get there one day. Northumberland is on one of our future adventures!

We are making the most of the bus, Cotswolds this weekend Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
It was good to read through this story, which would not have been the same without the accompanying photos. I am grateful that you have shared this.

When I see those beautiful highlands, I always wonder what conditions would urge one to leave such beautiful land. I am Native American and where I am from (the state of North Carolina), there is one of the thickest Scottish enclaves in the southeastern U.S. There were so many Highlanders who immigrated here that there are still full blooded Scottish people here today (my best friend in high school was one); their ancestors having first arrived in my people's territory in the 1740's. They were all very poor people and we called them Utéhweh, meaning "buckskin," because they were so poor that they could only afford to wear britches made of the deerskins that their hunting would yield, unlike the English, who could afford cloth britches. Like my people, the Highlanders did not speak English, but we had to learn to survive in a changing land. Until sometime in the early 1800's, the Highlanders' churches were conducted in Scottish Gaelic. The Buckskins were our allies and some even married into my nation.

You might wish to read "A Dance Called America" (of which I have an old second-hand copy), that recounts the Scottish migration to Canada and the USA; particularly following the highland clearances, during which many crofting tenants were turned off the land by the landlords, so that the land could be repurposed for more profitable sheep farming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Clearances

James Hunter, "A Dance Called America: The Scottish Highlands, the United States and Canada", 5th May 2022 (i.e. latest revised edition)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Called-America-Scot...amp;sr=8-1

There are many books about the highland clearances, but here are a few to whet your appetite:

Eric Richards, "The Highland Clearances", 19th May 2016

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highland-Clearances-Eric-...&psc=1

T. M. Devine, "The Scottish Clearances: A History of the Dispossessed, 1600-1900", 30th May 2019

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scottish-Clearances-Histo...&psc=1

Rob Gibson, "The Highland Clearances Trail", 1st March 2006

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highland-Clearances-Trail...&psc=1

John Prebble, "The Highland Clearances", 25th March 1982

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highland-Clearances-John-...amp;sr=8-1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

I am grateful for the information, NASkeet. I am somewhat familiar with the Highland crofts, but not deeply informed on that matter. I will look into buying this book.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I am grateful for the information, NASkeet. I am somewhat familiar with the Highland crofts, but not deeply informed on that matter. I will look into buying this book.

Having spent my early childhood from the age of 8 months to 9½ years, from mid-1956 to mid-1965, on the western outskirts of Lochee, Dundee, Scotland, where we lived in an old stone quarry-worker's cottage, overlooking the Firth of Tay, my family and I spent much of our leisure time in the nearby Sidlaw Hills and the Scottish Highlands.

Although English by birth, I am linked to Clan McQueen through my great grandmother Annie McQueen, so I can reasonably claim to be at least an honourary Scot! Very Happy Cool

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
creative native wrote:

Having spent my early childhood from the age of 8 months to 9½ years, from mid-1956 to mid-1965, on the western outskirts of Lochee, Dundee, Scotland, overlooking the Firth of Tay, my family and I spent much of our leisure time in the nearby Sidlaw Hills and the Scottish Highlands.

Although English by birth, I am linked to Clan McQueen through my great grandmother Annie McQueen, so I can reasonably claim to be at least an honourary Scot! Very Happy Cool

Thanks for posting some scottish history up, I'll have a look when the weekend comes.

Like you I am english by birth & I mentioned to Creative_Native my Great Great Grandmother was scottish, she was Jean Armour and her 4th generation Grandfather (my 6th generation) was Adam Armour, younger brother of Bonnie Jean Armour, who married Robbie Burns.

My Grandad left me a wealth of information and family history including a family bible with comments relating to Jean's Father James Armour wishing to run a bayonet through Robbie Burns as he was far from gentlemanly and was not good enough for his daughter!
- 180W Solar System

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

Its a cold winter for us here in the UK so its time to do some maintenance in readiness for 2023 onwards.

The front disc backplates have been replaced along with new hoses and brake lines and a left hand front wheel bearing which was noisy

The old backplates had an additional cut out from when the bus had WagensWest drop spindles fitted.

The brake discs had a rusty lip either side, to which a flap wheel did a good job in removing them.

Brake hoses had badly corroded ferrules so new ones seemed a good idea!

A brake fluid flush is in order too!
- 180W Solar System

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

Same refurbishment for the rear brakes, the old backplates had got bent somehow and also the retaining spring on the y piece for the star adjuster (rh side) had broke off.

Schofields again supplied the backplates, which looked good quality and fit without hassle.

The left hand side, upon stripping the brakes down appeared to have a damaged hub seal. Easy swap!

Rebuild time

New hoses, horseshoe clips and rubber grommets all round and its job done for now.

Overall, Im pleased with progress & I'll finish the brakes off in our christmas break.
- 180W Solar System

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

Mileage covered: 2,076 (22259 - 20183).
Nights away: 32.
Techenders
Scotland
Cotswolds
Bagfest
Nah Then Festival
Keiths

Fuel consumption: ~ 34 mpg which seems consistent with 2021.

Oil consumption: none which I have noticed.

Jobs for winter:
new brake backplates front & rear.
new brake hoses front and rear.
fit slightly thicker foam in the rear seat base / back.
Maybe fit a small heater
Planned (hopes) for 2023:
Techenders
2 weeks exploring Scotland
Camping in the Cotswolds
Bagfest
Nah Then Festival
Yorkshire (maybe)
- 180W Solar System

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

Its June already & we have been too busy to head out camping in the westy.

WASP, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, The Levellers & Ferocious Dog have had gigs we have been lucky to get to. Life is good!

First camp this year was with thelatebay guys at Techenders. We had a good turn out Smile

- 180W Solar System

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

Next for us is three local music festivals before we explore The Cotswolds and then head up to Scotland for two weeks.

Happy Days!
- 180W Solar System

favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
Its a cold winter for us here in the UK so its time to do some maintenance in readiness for 2023 onwards.

The front disc backplates have been replaced along with new hoses and brake lines and a left hand front wheel bearing which was noisy

The old backplates had an additional cut out from when the bus had WagensWest drop spindles fitted.

The brake discs had a rusty lip either side, to which a flap wheel did a good job in removing them.

Good job you're doing there! Interesting to see your mudflap placement, they normally go at the other side of the outrigger, I think I like your solution better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

favguy wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

Good job you're doing there! Interesting to see your mudflap placement, they normally go at the other side of the outrigger, I think I like your solution better.

I replaced all of my 1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia Contental's brake pipes with Kunifer-10 alloy pipework during the winter of 1988~89 when I retro-fitted the twin Alfred Teves ATE remote-acting vacuum brake-servo units. However, I ensured that they all emerged co-axially with the M10 x 1.0 mm unions with a reasonably long straight section (along which the union could slide when being fastened or unfastened), before initiating a bend.

As well as completely cleaning out the entire hydraulic system with propanol (i.e. propyl alcohol), I also substituted Automec silicone brake fluid.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/automec.php

I too have my front mud-flap brackets (home-made using off-cuts of aluminium-alloy plate) & mud-flaps (home-made using off-cuts of 350 mm wide, defunct, textile-reinforced, conveyor-belt material) mounted to the forward-face of the front outriggers.

Home-made front mud-flaps & home-made aluminium-alloy mounting brackets

Genuine Volkswagen-VOTEX mud-flaps with Wolfsburg emblem & home-made aluminium-alloy mounting brackets

Nigel A. Skeet

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

favguy wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

Thanks matey Smile

Those brackets are the Buttys Bits ones & before I fit the mudflaps everything was cleaned and plenty of waxoyl coated on to stop trapped water which seems to work so far.
- 180W Solar System

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

I have family in Mansfield and was hoping to come crash the Nottingham Bus scene this summer, but they are coming to me in NY!

Maybe next year. Congrats of Forest staying up in the Premier this season
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I have family in Mansfield and was hoping to come crash the Nottingham Bus scene this summer, but they are coming to me in NY!

Mansfield, just next door to us in Kirkby! We go into Mansfield to a cracking micro pub called The Garrison which serves some great beer.

The local VW Bus scene is a little quiet of late, maybe folk arent out in them as much but we're keeping the flag flying!

Indeed Forest have stayed up Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
Those brackets are the Buttys Bits ones & before I fit the mudflaps everything was cleaned and plenty of waxoyl coated on to stop trapped water which seems to work so far.

I looked at some of Butty's Bits product line-up sometime ago.

https://www.buttysbits.com

https://www.buttysbits.com/?product_cat=bay-window

https://www.buttysbits.com/?product_cat=mud-flap-mounts

They seemed inordinately expensive for what they were, including the so-called gas-strut retro-fit kit for 1968~79 Westfalia motor-caravan elevating roofs, which I was told were of poor quality, by a French 1968~73 VW Type 2 Westfalia owner in France. When I checked the website, this product was no longer listed.

https://www.buttysbits.com/?product_cat=westfalia-parts

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

Glad you are enjoying your travels. I haven’t been over to the Latebay in some time. I should check in soon.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

I looked at some of Butty's Bits product line-up sometime ago.

https://www.buttysbits.com

https://www.buttysbits.com/?product_cat=bay-window

https://www.buttysbits.com/?product_cat=mud-flap-mounts

They seemed inordinately expensive for what they were, including the so-called gas-strut retro-fit kit for 1968~79 Westfalia motor-caravan elevating roofs, which I was told were of poor quality, by a French 1968~73 VW Type 2 Westfalia owner in France. When I checked the website, this product was no longer listed.

https://www.buttysbits.com/?product_cat=westfalia-parts

I dont know Simon who runs Buttys Bits but he is really good to deal with and thats what I like, its more personable.

At one time I would have had access to the equipment to make parts myself but our overall group leader at work moved on & its harder now a days.
- 180W Solar System

MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Glad you are enjoying your travels. I haven’t been over to the Latebay in some time. I should check in soon.

Thanks matey Smile

Check in Latebay anytime, you are more than welcome as is anyone with a baywindow bus or for that matter, any classic VW!
- 180W Solar System

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello from the UK! Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Mansfield, just next door to us in Kirkby! We go into Mansfield to a cracking micro pub called The Garrison which serves some great beer.

The local VW Bus scene is a little quiet of late, maybe folk arent out in them as much but we're keeping the flag flying!

Indeed Forest have stayed up Very Happy

The Oak Tree near Berry Hill was where my Uncle took us, and now I take the Family there - but hope it survived Covid days.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: