Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 bus shifter shaft alignment
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thespen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:39 pm    Post subject: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

I changed the shift shaft coupling on my 72 bus and now the shifter socket is turned to the right so I can’t install the shifter. How do I get it to center?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

From under the bus with a pair of pliers of the right configuration and size either clamp onto the coupler in the rear or the socket up front and turn it. Is the coupler in the correct position with the shaft so the detent for the screw was lined up? It should of been in neutral when coupled, turned to the side puts it into a gear.

Last edited by busman78 on Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

something is not right with what you did. Go back thru it. Make sure each grub screw is in the dimple.
thespen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

Not sure if it was in neutral when i started but since hooked up I cannot move the socket left/straight. I replaced the set screw by the now coupling and checked the one about halfway back and the set screws are in the “dimple” they should be, I can move the shifter holder forward and back (2nd to 4th) but not left. Back under I go tomorrow to check everything again. Maybe the transmission is in a “hard spot”, I’ll push the bus forward. Thanks for your help/advice!!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

Some shift couplers are junk. I am presently running an EMPI coupling sold through CIP1. It is a rigid one piece design to the metal frame so there is no possibility of movement or misalignment between its parts. Don't have a clue how long it will last before it breaks though. If they had advertised it as being EMPI I would not have bought it, but so far so good.
thespen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

Well after coupling replacement then unhooking it from the shaft, I can’t get the transmission to go into first, second and reverse. Probably have to pull engine and transmission, can I get away with replacing transmission front end? Any tricks to fixing or no option but to pull?
Thank you.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

i’m no expert, but have you gotten the trans into neutral, and followed the bentley while redoing the install?

while multiple issues can arise, i don’t see how engine/trans removal is the next step.

if the repeat install doesn’t work, how bout reinstalling your old coupler, just to see if it works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

I would pull the coupler grub screw loose and see if the shifter will go thru all the gears. Then you can pull the coupler off with the trans still in the car and put the shifter in 2nd to pull the coupler off the shift linkage. Then use some vise grips to see if the trans will shift properly.

The way the shift rails are built, it is almost impossible to get it in 2 gears at once to lock it unless something is bad inside the nosecone.
thespen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

I put in the old coupling that’s when I noticed the coupling round end that attaches to the back shaft was turned a little off center. I’ve had the transmission in neutral then tried to put it in first and second w vise grips attached to back shaft, it won’t turn and engage 1 & 2. Also had clutch pushed in and tried as well. I don’t have a Bentley manual. Fluid level in trans is good. W the shaft detached at the transmission everything works fine w rest of shaft. I’ve put in the old and new coupling, no difference.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

Why did you change the shift coupling in the first place? Were you already having problems?
thespen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

I rubber bushing fell out of the old coupling so I had to replace it. I just bought this bus a few months ago, it sat for a few years but the engine is good, got it started then discovered the transmission problem. I’m going to drain the fluid and check for metal, needs fresh oil anyway.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

this is a manual, is that correct?

Can you verify. With the vise grips you can find neutral, and the hockey stick will go straight forward and back from there, but in neutral it will not rotate?
thespen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

Yes it manual. We did everything you mentioned, the shaft coming out of trans won’t turn to left, first and second and reverse
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

thespen wrote:
Yes it manual. We did everything you mentioned, the shaft coming out of trans won’t turn to left, first and second and reverse

but it does stop in neutral? You should find all the way in. all the way out and neutral about half way. If it does not rotate in neutral then something is off in selector in the nose cone or with a selector rail.
thespen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

Sounds like I’ll be buying a rebuilt transmission. I’m in New Bern, NC. Any recommendations where to find one, please let know. Thanks again.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

My local VW transmission shop might ship you one.

Transworks
El Cajon, Ca
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

while a very few might be as good, no one’s better than ken at german transaxles.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

Never heard of him

Just pulling your chain
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

Before sending the transmission off to be repaired, it is worth taking the nose cone off as there is a bracket holding the rod that the shift relay lever moves up and down on , that breaks sometimes.
And the plastic donut on the end of the hockey stick that pushes the shift relay lever wears out.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 72 bus shifter shaft alignment Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Before sending the transmission off to be repaired, it is worth taking the nose cone off as there is a bracket holding the rod that the shift relay lever moves up and down on , that breaks sometimes.
And the plastic donut on the end of the hockey stick that pushes the shift relay lever wears out.

^^^^ this
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: