Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KING Panel
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: KING Panel Reply with quote

i've had this bus for thirteen years now and have finally gotten around to giving it some of the attention it deserves.

a bit of back story: a local VW buddy of mine calls me up one day and says, "yo, i found this bus, you'd dig it. it has those bumpers on it that you like and it's got logos" i tell him i'm interested, he tells me someone already bought it. it was too rusty to deal with and it got cut up, the new owner wanted the running gear off it to raise his bus back up. this bus had 42k so it would make sense that the running gear was good. wrong. it's beat.

so i call the new owner, i wanna at least see the bus or what was left of it and try to make a deal on the hursts. i make arrangements to see it. it had been raining for 4 days straight and it was pouring that day too. i go to see it and turns out the bus didn't get cut up. there it is! it had been partially stripped but all the parts were there. i ask the owner if he'll sell it to me, nope. i ask him what he paid. i make an offer about 20X that amount. nope. we finally make a deal on the bus. e'll sell it to me for what i paid if i give him all the replacement parts including a compelte set of hursts. done deal.

lind and campingbos were coming to town a day or two later and we did the extraction.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

more pix of that historic day and more back story. this is an original and documented LOCAL Philly bus. i figure it probably hadn't left town much, if ever. i made the deal on the same street where it sold new in 1958. it had been off the road since 1966.

i filled some hefty bags after carefully sifting thru all of this. i found a few service call receipts. unfortunately the bus had ashes shoveled into it. it cause the cargo floor to rust pretty bad. overall it's a straight bus with no accident damage.

kinda crusty but not too bad, right.....

done deal! this is when you could buy a rusty bus with a small stack of 20s and not a big pile of hundreds

out come the parts....

the Cereal Killers!

all put back together.

yeah, it's a march of 58 walkthru

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

Killer bus Gibbs, great to see it getting some attention.
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

UZI wrote:

Cool bus and even cooler story and history. But what love the most is your postal yellow campbodian safety work boots.
Very rare! I have almost all colors in my collection except postal yellow ones.
Think I don't?

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

waiting for AAA

the rollback finally showed up. i put a license plate on it so the driver would take it. i took it back off to put it on the bus i was driving...

back at stately FUBU Manor

rusbus came up from DC to help me out on it

lotsa other folks helped out too.

even the lights work!

it's first trip was to the beer store to prepare for the first FUBUQ and Trailbash

then shakedown run: offroading!

KING panel meets the KINGSFORD Panel

had to stop here

Quote:
Quote:
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

on my lift for servicing before it's next trip...

that trip? to florida for bulli brigade. 1250 miles each way

don't mind swervyjoe. he's not passed out, he's recharging

i scored some roofracks on the way home. two full length ones for $400

more highlights from the early years of ownership...

anyone recognize this kid?

FUBU-Q

Eladio getting an offroading lesson. we actually did an internal chinese firedrill driving. Eladio had no idea what i was doing. i just said "bey bro, grab the wheel for a minute" and i got in back.

Quote:
Quote:
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

Nice one! Thanks for sharing!

Let me know if you need measurements for the special front mat bracket... looked like it was MIA.
It takes two gauges of metal... I have both... could shear you off some if you need it... maybe pan brake it too.
e
curbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

Stunning bus thanks for updating
clnvwe2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

Such a Rad bus!!!

Cunado 4 life!!!!!!!

Instagram : Flatkool

WTB- The Brundage Motors Plate frame that Merrpie Pribanic's looking for.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
done deal! this is when you could buy a rusty bus with a small stack of 20s and not a big pile of hundreds

Awesome story Gibbs! That's a $h!t eating grin if I've ever seen one...cool Philly bus. My grandfather worked for King Services in about 1960.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

I've ruined so many perfectly good Kleenex's over the years looking at photos of the King Panel!

XOXO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
UZI wrote:

Awesome story Gibbs! That's a $h!t eating grin if I've ever seen one...cool Philly bus. My grandfather worked for King Services in about 1960.
cool bus for sure..these pics even look vintage now!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

That bus is such a monster on so many levels. Original logos, great year, excellent option (walkthrough), bitchen accessories (hursts), and a great local tie-in. That checks a lot of boxes. I feel lucky to have been in the right place at the right time to go along on the rescue mission for this bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

Here's a jaw dropper on this bus. I'm working away on polishing it out texting pictures to my fellow South Philly Van Club members. Matt Cuddy texts back and says "I just googled the phone number and it shows as a Mrs A King at 22nd and Wharton". I was so astounded that I almost texted Matt back to ask him the number.....I call it. Mrs King answers the phone. It was her brothers business but of course she claimed they never owned and VW can.... I told her I called the name on the side of it and it says KING AUTOMATIC HEATING. She went on to tell me about James King and how he worked for the post office and just did this on the side.

She was lovely to talk to.

Quote:
Quote:
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

Awesome bus!! I enjoyed riding shotgun with Will driving it one year at the Trailbash
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

Such a killer panel! I wouldn't change a thing!!
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

obus wrote:
Awesome bus!! I enjoyed riding shotgun with Will driving it one year at the Trailbash

That was actually the barndoor panel.

Quote:
Quote:
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

King Panel ?? Last time I saw that bucket 'o Bolts , it was stashed in the back of a Garage in Philly, w/a bunch of Bums hang'en out....

and a cop ??

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon

Last edited by crukab on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

The bus is even cooler in person.
I can't think of a better guy to own that bus, you two were meant to be together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: KING Panel Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
obus wrote:

That was actually the barndoor panel.

right! I took too many bonks to the head on that ride! Never the less the King Panel is a fine ride!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: