Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon-knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County, NY?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Vanagon-knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County, NY? Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I was involved in a collision in my van. Everyone is fine, a little bruised up, but nothing worse than that.

I have been battling the insurance company for a fair valuation of the van, assuming that it was totaled. We settled on $15,000 as fair value, but now the van is no longer totaled based on this new valuation. The insurance company is estimation the repairs at $8350, but it will need to be torn down, and have a better estimate done, based on things that may not be visible presently. So now I need to find a repair shop to tear it down and do a full estimate, which will then determine whether it will be repaired or totaled. So in short I need to find a Vanagon knowledgeable shop to move forward with. I am hesitant to go with a standard collisions shop as they do not know the in and out of these vehicles.

Anyone know of such a shop in the Orange County, NY area? I am in Newburgh, but anywhere in the area would be fine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County NY? Reply with quote

Any thoughts on any collision repair places would be welcome.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County NY? Reply with quote

Try to PM Flint.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=213605

Maybe he can recommend a place.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County NY? Reply with quote

Already contacted him via email. He has been very helpful through all of this.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County NY? Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

Probably not helpful, but just in case...

There have been mentions of Blair @ Wagon Werks (thread, another), but since Andrew Flint knows him, you've probably heard about him already.

You may also want to contact vwcampin - he got in a somewhat similar accident and got his van fixed by Midtown Auto in Omaha Nebraska. Too far, I know, but maybe they can provide hints at what to get inspected.

Good luck.
sandcough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County NY? Reply with quote

Blair at Wagonwerks worked on my van and did great work. He knows these vans.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County NY? Reply with quote

Where is Wagenworks? Contact info?

I did find a Porsche specialty shop http://demanmotorsport.com/ that has a in house bodyshop that only works on Porsches, and other german cars. They are willing to take on the project, but another option could be nice.

Thanks.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP

Last edited by foodeater on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County NY? Reply with quote

I can PM his contact. He's a one guy shop and usually booked for the next year.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County NY? Reply with quote

I just sent him a PM through thesamba, but an email/phone number would be welcome.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon-knowledgeable Collision Shop in/near Orange County, NY? Reply with quote

Well, my van is on its way to the Porsche place for a more thorough teardown and estimate. I'll find out soon if it is totaled, or repairable. It was tough to get the insurance company to tow it to this shop, as they are about 40 miles away from the yard the van is in. It really just took talking to the right person on the phone. The person I talked to today was very agreeable about getting it to this shop, the two previous people told me to look for somewhere closer, within a reasonable distance, but they could not tell me exactly what distance was reasonable, just that 40 miles was too much.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: