Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Recommendation?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should I do with the brakes on my 1968 Westy Tin Top
Refresh Stock Setup
70%
 70%  [ 14 ]
Update Master Cylinder but keep rest stock
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Convert to BusStang kit from WagensWest
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Convert to BabyStang kit from WagensWest
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Other (please post below)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 20

Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

Howdy all!

While my bus has never had a brake issue, it is still running the original system from 1968. Before our upcoming road trip, I wanted to at a minimum do a major brake service. That said, now that I have a broken upper reservoir and the Chinese-quality replacement is leaking, I am considering upgrading.

The engine is stock, and likely will remain close to stock. Meaning, we don't do a lot of hard driving.

So, what do you think makes the most sense? Please fill out the poll above and feel free to lend any other tips/discussion.

Here are some options I am considering: http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/disk...rakes.html

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/disk...stang.html

http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/disk...n-kit.html

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-32802.png]Click to view image[/URL]
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

I voted for the stock refresh. Did-assemble and inspect what is worn out (shoes, wheel cyl's, drums, etc). Research availability and costs. Shoes can be relined by a specialty brake shop with options on material.

When done with this and it is not sufficient then a respected member here installed the '71 and later master cyl and brake booster to work with the drum brakes. You can e-mail aeromech for advice.

If this still isn't enough you could upgrade to the later disc brake assy's, either the 71/72 or the 73 and later. You could also install the later rear brake assy's. With this the wheel bolt pattern changes.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

Perhaps consider the fact that once the tires are locked up, brake type doesn't matter. Invest in good tires. Invest in good adjustments. Invest in a good bleed.

Enjoy.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

I used a '71 upper reservoir with good success, so far. Stock brakes are fine, I have 0 issues stopping with my OG set up. It has been gone through, more than one time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the input, everyone!

The brakes most certainly have never been an issue (in terms of stopping distance and such) nor has fade ever been a problem. I guess I am more concerned about safety in regards to if the stock system is prone to failure.

But I can already hear your response to that: "not as long as you maintain it properly." Wink

I suppose the previous failure which resulted in the dented nose and my dad's brake failure (luckily when parked) on his 1964 Land Rover had me spooked. Haha.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

I voted stock (suprised?), if they have been fully serviced and are maintained properly they are more than adequate, if you have a weak leg the booster mod doesn't hurt.

But "fully serviced" doesn't mean just pull a drum and wash off with brake cleaner, strip each unit down to the bare backing plate and clean/free up/lube each little component, fresh cylinders and shoes as well if you have any doubts about what's there now. And replace all 4 flex hoses as well, even the best brakes can't do thier job if the fluid isn't getting to where it does it's thing.

15 minutes adjusting while you wait for the sump to drain at each oil change keeps them in top condition.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

Ooooh, also worth nothing, is from 2015's annual "wrap up" thread, the four buses with the most miles on them ALL had stock four wheel drum setups.
Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

Disc brakes are great. That's why ALL modern cars have them now, even on the rears. That said, people have converted their 1968-1970 bay window buses to have front disc brakes. The problem is that when you change one part it affects other parts. For instance, if you change the fronts to use say 1971 stock rotors then you have changed to the narrow five bolt pattern and now your front wheels don't match the back. They look funny. You can buy one of these expensive kits but I'd be willing to bet that there's some unmentioned detail somewhere that throws a fly in the ointment. Like Tom Powell's bus. He has front discs but runs bug wheels for some reason. So it has become a bastard in my eyes.

The booster mod I do to the original drum brake buses has worked well on at least four buses so far. I've never had a complaint. It gives easy pedal force and positive stops. Problem is you still have the extra maintenance required to keep the drum shoes adjusted unlike discs which are self adjusting.

Here's a quick parts list
1) 1971 Brazillian master cylinder $70 + lower reservoir and two bungs $25
2) 1971 aftermarket booster, new, about $160
3) Fabricate a metal plate to weld to the front beam for the booster to mount on.
4) 7 feet of Gates 15/32 power brake hose $20
5) Vacuum check valve $10
6) Rod from booster to brake pedal $10

Laastly, you'll need to find a way to tap into the intake manifold for vacuum.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

For the vacuum, could you tap into the crossover tube that's part of a Kadron dual-carb setup by a "T" connector set next to the 3-4 side intake manifold?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

Not sure, maybe
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure posting in the bay forum is going to get a vast majority of votes for stock Laughing

Any particular reason in mind you'd want to modify the brakes, like higher horsepower or something fun in mind like track day?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I'm pretty sure posting in the bay forum is going to get a vast majority of votes for stock Laughing

Any particular reason in mind you'd want to modify the brakes, like higher horsepower or something fun in mind like track day?

Because he hasn't gotten married yet & found out that she can spend it faster than he can make it. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
... Like Tom Powell's bus. He has front discs but runs bug wheels for some reason. So it has become a bastard in my eyes. ...

I ordered the kit from Germany and installed it. When I went to put the wheels and tires on they did not fit over the calipers. I had been sent a kit for 15" wheels. My temporary solution was to buy 15" wheels and tires. Last week I ordered a kit for 14" wheels and I'll be doing a front disc brake R&R and OG wheels and new tires on my next trip to SoCal the end of July.

Aloha
tp
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

My 1970 bus brakes were a joke when i bought my bus a few years ago. If you applied the brakes, the bus would pull massively to the right. I found a seized front wheel cylinder.

Since then, the brake system has been inspected and new front pads installed. I've also replaced the rubber brake hoses. I think the drum brakes are very effective now that everything has been refreshed and adjusted correctly.

Yes, disc brakes have many advantages over drums. However, the drum brakes don't require that much more maintenance.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Cavilry6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:

Mostly safety. In my mind (which is a weird place, don't visit) disc brakes are safer and easier to manage. Less prone to fade, better stopping power, etc. I live in the Santa Cruz mountains...so I have windy roads, crazy druggies, and rough weather to deal with on a regular basis. Meaning, brakes are important.

But no, no high horsepower. And I leave my track shenanigans to my Alfa. Smile

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

In the VW disc brake design for bay windows there is a proportioning valve which restricts pressure/flow to the rear OG brakes. These valves are a rare part now. There is also a vacuum operated brake booster. Lack of a booster does not change the stopping distance, but requires some leg strength. I've swapped ends three times going downhill on snow/ice. Each of the slides was initiated by letting off on the throttle. Never had any body damage. On snow/ice I've momentarily locked up the front wheels and started heading for the ditch, but getting off the brake stopped the slide. My OG front brakes were bad/grabby/weak and I decided to go disc in the front with a dual MC. The components of the kit were excellent, but I got a kit for 15" wheels FUR. A replacement kit for OG 14" is on order.

Aloha
tp
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

I converted to late beetle dual reservoir behind the driver seat in my 68 a few years ago & I just recently installed the Wgenswest babystang kit and loaded up the bus with my two teenage sons, my girlfriend, dog, & camping equipment and drove 500 miles to the Charlotte transporter show and I love my new brakes! I chose the babystang kit so I could retain my stock wheels. I love my new brakes!!

'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Recommendation? Reply with quote

vwible wrote:
For the vacuum, could you tap into the crossover tube that's part of a Kadron dual-carb setup by a "T" connector set next to the 3-4 side intake manifold?
Yes. That's what I'm running.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: