Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Autumn Marathon with beetle (Part 3 final Smile )

Good day!
As a result, it managed to beat the beetle, to fulfill all that is planned, with the exception of what is stated in the second part thriller and replacement of brake hoses (pictured look terrible). Anyway deffeсted revealed new parts, they must be ordered, to carry, so it is necessary to put the stabilizer arm torsion bar and other small things in the spring, to climb it is necessary, and the time and effort of so many beetle took off and since the beginning until now Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Today sawed studs installed internal combustion engine in place, set up the clutch, gas, ignition, speed, replaced all the fuel hoses and clamps, finally found the right vacuum tube to the Carb Smile and other cosmetics brought to mind.

The rest of the purging of the crab, pick-up the car improved machine for digital GPS speedometer technicals overclocked all the 111 km/h, which corresponds to the truth in Vmax = 115kmh.
Intact heater channels the salon serves much fresh air, brakes work perfectly, handbrake holds 2 is clickes, the flow rate of gasoline is not clear yet.
The rear suspension has undergone complete renovation and it is now very well felt, only not "spinning" torsion bar, ie not raised the car, but because of the fresh parts and gums, back feed machines rose somewhere in the 1 cm, not much, but bully ass like you do not want.

Well, the final video to the end of the marathon - return to sweet home Smile

Link

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Check to see if your rear drums are getting hot after driving. Two clicks and you say the brakes hold. That seems too tight to me. You might want to back off a little.

However, maybe your model calls for a tighter emergency-brake adjustment. I don't really know. But I once over adjusted my emergency brake and was causing the front shoes to apply braking action when driving.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Check to see if your rear drums are getting hot after driving. Two clicks and you say the brakes hold. That seems too tight to me. You might want to back off a little.

However, maybe your model calls for a tighter emergency-brake adjustment. I don't really know. But I once over adjusted my emergency brake and was causing the front shoes to apply braking action when driving.

Tim

Thanks Tim!
With drums all is ok, normal temperature.
Be my experience, the big problem is not correctly tightened the hub nut, which causes heating of the wheel bearing.
Brakes are very effective and if I push pedal - the car stops evenly.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

[quote="antonb"]
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Thanks Tim!
With drums all is ok, normal temperature.
Be my experience, the big problem is not correctly tightened the hub nut, which causes heating of the wheel bearing (for front axle only).
Brakes are very effective and if I push pedal - the car stops evenly.

Tim, how often do you adjust the brake pads on your car?
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Minute of estetics Wink
Two weeks ago, came to the certificate and the technical data of the car (all "adult" retro VW must have it Wink ), according to the documents it is clear that my car was released on September 3, and 4 th left the factory parking lot and sailed the sea from the Mexican port of Veracruz ( trains carry cars from the factory in Pueblo) to Germany (Emden port), where the first registration was received on 14 September. Customer car was VW / Audi dealer near Düsseldorf in the town of Ratingen-Lintorf. Who was the final buyer is a mystery, archive avtomuzeya has no such data, and now that the dealer (the distribution center), there no longer exists.
The information is stored in a museum in the diafilm and a few employees take out the crumbs of information on any VW cars released now from the beginning of its existence, including its subsidiary factories in other countries, only need a vehicle identification number and a bit of time and money on data from the study and formation of the certificate.
The document follows the following information regarding the options (M-code), namely, that there were rear lap belts, the front three-point belts, chrome trim rings on the rims, adjustable head restraints and a lack of radio.
Code M701 error code indicates that the machine is in the special version "Red Velvet", there also can be seen, the body color code and interior color, which in principle is not a secret Smile
The document was delivered quickly, it is very human in the museum I asked Smile well no more than two weeks and DHL handed in the hands of a beautiful folder in which you put a color scan handout of those years for this special model.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Anton, I converted my front drum brakes to a disc brake conversion. So, there is no adjustment in the front. However, my rear brakes are drums, and since I don't put more than 1500 miles a year on my bug, I don't adjust them more than once a year--if that much.

You know it's time to adjust your brakes in the rear when it takes two extra clicks on your emergency brake when setting it in park. But the front brakes get more wear because they do 80% of the stopping. Generally--when I had VW's with all four drums--I adjusted them when it was time for a major tune-up. This would be no longer than five or six thousand miles.

I downshift when coming to a stop, and I don't go very fast, then stop, then go fast and stop. In other words, I don't use my brakes as much as some who drive fast and stop often.

By the way, when I was talking about your drums heating up, I was referring to your rear drums. If you adjust the hand-brake too tightly, then your rear brake shoes may be partially engaged while driving, thus heating up your rear brakes. It's like driving with your foot resting on the brake pedal. When you said you had adjusted your hand-brake to "two clicks", I felt that may have been too tight.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
When you said you had adjusted your hand-brake to "two clicks", I felt that may have been too tight.

Tim

I agree, 2 seems tight. I think the Bentley manual states 4 clicks, which is what I have mine adjusted to.

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Bug became an actor

Good day to all!
At the invitation of one large bank woke up the car and taken to the area of ​​Chistye Prudy to shoot a commercial for the rebranding of the bank.
The overall experience this for the first time and not the main income, but you have to try something. As a result, we finished in 4 hours with scenes and went home on the tow truck.
Money earned will be used for shooting to order new parts, which in the spring will be installed on the car Wink

And now. wintertime - its time to sleeping in warm parking Wink

antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Hi all!
Let me show you original Deutsch documents (TÜV/Tech inspection till 2011) and paper sticker with VIN and M-codes options.

antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

El Vocho — Mexican legend!

I wrote Very interesting little article.

El Vocho or Fusca — Spanish / Mexican translates as "Beetle".

Well, who does not know the Beetle? It is not for nothing was the proud title of the mass of the car in the history of twenty-five million of these cars were produced in the world, and production continued for seventy years, with design has not changed!

The machine was born in Germany in the thirties, became the first people's car from which the Volkswagen brand was born, lived through Hitler gained popularity in Europe, reached the United States. And, finally, I was in Mexico, where it began to be collected in 1964. All European and American long-Bugs decorate expositions of automobile museums, but in Mexico go on the roads in large numbers.

This legend, the standard automotive classics found everywhere. In some cities, they even sit in rent or use as a taxi. But Bug production ended only 14 years ago, so there are quite fresh machine.

Today will tell about this car and his life and "death" in Mexico, a country where the small car made before 2003.

On that continent, namely in the US for the first time met with the VW Beetle in 1945. Officers then bought their "Beetles" on travel, cars were actually available to buy such a machine could be a few months of service. Many veterans, having served, picked up a funny car with him to the United States as a "souvenir". We rode there until the first failure, and then simply discarded. By the way, until recently, on the border of Belgium and Luxembourg, there was a car cemetery of old cars that US troops were not able to ship home. Among those machines had a lot of Bugs.

The first "Beetles" in the United States have met with hostility, since Volkswagen is directly associated with Hitler's name to ride on brought back "trophies" veterans often heard from others reproach:. Why are you this fascist crap brought to our land, however, in 1953 Volkswagen opened? in the United States, two offices in New York and San Francisco. began mass export VW Bugs. They fell by the way, America is somewhat satiated luxury cars, but the small, practical cars is not enough. in just a few years on country roads appear 150 thousand of such cars, and "big Three" US automakers decided to "knock down" Volkswagen, having established the mass production of compact cars. this gave birth to a healthy competition, but to stop the increasing population was impossible zhukolyubov. After 20 years, estimated in 1973 that in the United States during this period was It sold 4 million vehicles.

Now, the history of the Beetle in Mexico. Clearly, he came here later, but gained an incredible love of the people. These machines are in fact a lot of which was collected, except Germany and Mexico. It was carried out in Belgium, Yugoslavia, South Africa and Brazil. But it is in Latin America — it has become really popular and evergreen.

Whatever the state of the country you are, in whatever area of ​​straying, Beetle, you will meet constantly. On the central streets of Cancun and in the slums of Guadalajara, after polishing and shining rusty ruins in the bush …

Local beetles all very vintage, but this machine can be the same as the forty years, and fifteen. After all, for years almost nothing has changed. Strung t-shirts instead of covers — very cute.

[img]In the best tradition, the smaller compact car, the more people can fit there. The Beetle, as if in a matchbox, fit up to five adults Mexicans and a few children.

People's car used by people of different classes and ages. Repairing machine "on the knee", unlimited scope for tuning and modifications.

That's why you can find a number of the same, but completely different as cars. And age does not always play a major role.

Mexico itself is incredibly bright country, so more and the car they all imaginable colors!

Do not kill Beetle, the Beetle is eternal! As if he did not look scary on the outside, inside the motor reliably even if break — bust child can. The car with character. It does not break the casual attitude, the scorching sun or pouring rain. Scratches and dents like Scars, only decorate the Beetle!

On it even travel around the country artists traveling circus tent

The history of Mexican Green Taxis:

Yes — you all know very well that in Mexico City, and in the whole country in a taxi up to 2005 was 90% of these cars green and white color were more than hundreds of thousands on the roads of the country, but due to the tightening of security requirements (and Bugs drivers often hunted passengers values ​​by importing them with his accomplices in a dark alley), but I would like to note that the price in this case was just $ 0.2 per km. against $ 0.5 for travel by yellow taxi with 4 doors Smile But Beetle had pluses and its sound could be heard during the quarter and the passenger could easily determine that the "taxi rides" Smile
As a result, in 2014, in Mexico there are no more than 2000-3000 Bugs in a taxi (as a rule these machines are owned by the owners).
The rest were under the press and disposed of! The world is changing Smile

But the story is not over and has not yet been a problem on a daily basis for several cars to meet the day on the road in different states in Mexico and Latin America, and yet love lives of their owners to these unpretentious beeches (believe me, these engines love it as we have in the village of classics ), then the car will be a little bit out of sight of cameras and lenses, as everyone understands the basic — operating expenses for the maintenance of the car is much less than any other modern small car in the general overall Smile
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fascinating read, thank you.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Great history!

I must admit that when you first created this thread, I thought it strange that a Russian would own a Beetle. After all, the Germans killed 20 million people in the U.S.S.R during World War Two. So I had to wonder if older Russians had the same negative feelings about German cars as the old folks did at first in the United States.

But time moves on, and people change their attitudes.

By the way, I have heard rumors that Brazil may begin making Beetles again.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Great history!

I must admit that when you first created this thread, I thought it strange that a Russian would own a Beetle. After all, the Germans killed 20 million people in the U.S.S.R during World War Two. So I had to wonder if older Russians had the same negative feelings about German cars as the old folks did at first in the United States.

But time moves on, and people change their attitudes.

By the way, I have heard rumors that Brazil may begin making Beetles again.

Tim

Germans soldiers killed (big secret), but about 40 million Russian, but these machines (beetles and some other eg: Opel/Horch/KDF/DKW/NSU/BMW etc) were Soviet officers as trophies taken in the Soviet Union as well and factories for the production of cars and motorcycles from East Germany.
In Russia still have some machines with Nazi crosses work. And as technology copied from the Germans ... from motorcycles to cars, machines, German engineers from God (you know it), the attitude of the German captured equipment in the USSR was good, but the lack of spare parts led to the fact that the parts installed by the Soviet machine (you must read about Lithuanian Kdf-Wagen `38, at this forum). In Russia we have a lot of German premium cars, we are second only to China consumers luxary SUV segment (G-Class / GLS / GLE) from Daimler, the same thing about the other cars. Here US maded GL/GLE everywhere, there are more than in Europe itself. And the number of sold Maybach / Mercedes S-class W222, we in second place after China...
But back to the Bugs, later I will write an article about how to import Bugs after the Second World War, and later (in the days of Soviet Perestroika time) and then in the days of Russia, they got here from Europe.

Tim, please ask, where do you heard about reincarnation production Beetles?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Anton, I saw it on the news a few years ago. Apparently, the President of Brazil thought there were too few people who could afford cars, so he wanted VW's to be built again.

But I just looked over the web to see if any progress had been made, and apparently, nothing ever came of it. Brazil did keep making type 2's, however, until 2013--according to a report I just found.

Sorry for the confusion. We just can't trust the news here in the U.S. anymore.
The figures for German war dead are not as many as Russia's, but you can take pride in knowing that 8 out of every 11 German soldiers killed were killed by the Russians.

I never thought about how the Russians would take German cars, etc. I had only heard that they took all the toilets in Berlin Shocked .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Today I will tell about the history of how I found beetle:

… With age there was a wish the legendary car, old, but known. I began to look through different announcements and once decided to look for VW Kaefer. It was "the love at first sight". In 2010 from Germany this "Bug" arrived to Krasnodar Region (south of Russia). Not in the best state and completeness: there was a lot of rust on a body, especially on doors, also the upholstery of interior – fragmentary charts of doors suffered, a lot of things wasn't enough. Nothing surprising, and the one who owns the old equipment will understand it.

… When we with the son decided to buy this car, we didn't tell our wifes why we and where leave. Each of us told that it goes to a business trip, we were believed, and we went to the south Russia behind the car. But when came back home, women not only didn't estimate acquisition, but also also took offense for such ridiculous deception.

… Of course, "Bug" is not the daily car, but the day off car. On weekdays I ride Porsche Cayenne.

… A run at the moment 73 400 kilometers, but on a state I believe that at the car – the second circle. To me the body and a car frame were cleared of old paint and a rust, processed, covered with a soil and paint and assembled anew; however is in works of the previous owner of a defect on which we work now. In plans – end with rear suspension, and to polish the car.

… What for me the car? The loyal friend having character, soul and 34-strong heart which will definitely not bring on the way!
Scott H
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Great thread!
Your car looks awesome.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Scott H wrote:
Great thread!
Your car looks awesome.

Thanks!
ahead - a lot of interesting will be in this thread.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Winter, nothing to do with car, but I compiled video from September Bug meeting with name:
"Secret mission of bugs" Smile

Link

Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Nice video with an impressive soundtrack!
Is that on the streets of Moscow / Москва́ Question
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:

Maddel wrote:

Yes, it is on the streets in new Moscow districts...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: