Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber floor for Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jradical2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Anybody know if there is a rubber floor available for a 91 vanagon that doesn't only fit models with the camper set up in the back?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Yes

for front or rear.
I presume rear

the last model year base models came with a full rubber rear mat.

uncommon this side of the pond but there are ones out there..
inquire directly to the big vanagon parts players.. and don't expect it to be cheap or easily shippable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

The L series had nice mats in the rear. Two pieces of rubber which overlapped each other. I preferred it to the carpet. Recently saw a fellow with this in his van.

https://www.amazon.com/IncStores-Premium-Durable-C...r+roll+mat

It was pretty nice,and it comes in a variety of colors.

Bikes, KTM motorcycles, sailboats, and busted knuckles.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

the short answer is no.

the long answer is that some euro-spec (base and/or commercial models, i'm guessing) came with rubber mats throughout the van.
i guess it was on some US base models but they are hard to find, expensive and have all different manners of cut outs for the different seating arrangements.
so finding the one that fits your van is like looking for sasquatch.

i thought about sourcing some kind of industrial rubber and using the carpet as a pattern for the cut outs.
i've seen horse mats and truck bed mats used: they off-gas and smell like shit.

good luck and let us know if you come up with something.
i hate the carpet too.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

getset wrote:
The L series had nice mats in the rear. Two pieces of rubber which overlapped each other. I preferred it to the carpet. Recently saw a fellow with this in his van.

https://www.amazon.com/IncStores-Premium-Durable-C...r+roll+mat

It was pretty nice,and it comes in a variety of colors.
Hey, that's pretty cool -- Thanks for the link!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jradical2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I will prob use that link to order a floor not looking to search and overpay just to have the factory euro floor. It's all good I think I can make a nice floor out of the black rubber in that link. Thanks!
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

I was in a rush to get rid of some old house carpet and put some kind of flooring down in mine, so I bought this commercial floor mat at home depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Black-48-...498901-_-N

When that link eventually dies - it's a 48"x72" recycled rubber mat by Traffic MASTER

It could be about an inch wider (49-50") but it's fine for now. I trimmed about 10" off one end.

It's recycled rubber, so there's a little bit of a smell, but it's not bad and I don't notice it very often. I went around a corner too quick and my small cooler tipped over and all the water spilled out, but cleanup was easy. I like the padded feel of the rubber too - it's a good compromise between hard plastic / wood laminate and carpet.

Here's a poor photo, and one to show the texture.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alijonny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Don't rake me over the coals for this, it was before I knew their value...

I cut my rear two piece rubber mat down to fit Westy parts into my syncro...While we are admitting things, I also cut down a weekender foam to fit with the rear cabinet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Made my own. Cut to fit. It does not actually come with the wheel well cutouts shown in the photo. One side is smooth and the other has raised bumps, which I put "down" for better air circulation under the mat.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lrv-6898d

That's my review in the ad.

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

yes air circulation is important under a rubber matt. spilled drinks, window leaks, wet shoes etc... can lead to water being trapped under a rubber matt, where it wont dry out for a long long time, potentially causing floor rust. if you use a solid rubber matt, lift them out ever now and then and check for moisture. if you have moisture build up, tkae steps to prevent its reoccuranace. the old microbusses had rubber matts and many got floor rust when water was allowed to get under them, left open windows or failed weather stripping can add to this issue. use care.
Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:
Made my own. Cut to fit. It does not actually come with the wheel well cutouts shown in the photo. One side is smooth and the other has raised bumps, which I put "down" for better air circulation under the mat.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lrv-6898d

That's my review in the ad.

Here's a remnant piece:

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Fwiw, the 91 i just picked up has the full rubber "carpet". Its a base model with jump seats. The fabric used on the seats is quite different than what im used to. It has ac and the z-bed too. No opening quarter windows in the doors though.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

SteveVanB wrote:
Fwiw, the 91 i just picked up has the full rubber "carpet". Its a base model with jump seats. The fabric used on the seats is quite different than what im used to. It has ac and the z-bed too. No opening quarter windows in the doors though.

That is an "L" model, an unusual kind of base model with european style fabric. Most people prefer the carpet versions with more plush fabrics while the utilitarian interior is very easy to clean.
Jradical2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

After starting this thread I took a look at the two piece rubber floor that came with my van. It was all cracked and splayed open where all the bolt up holes are and where it had been cut to accommodate the heater. I decided to try to fix it up with tech bond which is essentially super glue on steroids. This stuff is incredible I highly recommend it. Well I'm stoked with the results I think the floor looks almost like new. I fixed up my front floor mat with the same stuff and got the same results even though that was badly damaged and the repair seams were on multiple curves. Can't speak highly enough of tech bond!
[/img]
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Jrad, what does that weigh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jradical2006
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

Both pieces together Are probably about 25-30lbs
vanagon1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

yea, I used gym mat that i bought at local home depot. I laid lath below first to level floor (cheap and perfect thickness). Spot siliconed in place in case I wanted to remove in future. Ran mat up under seat to quite engine noise as well. I have a subaru conversion so figured I could afford the extra weight. But probably pretty close to stock mat.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

I am curious if US market base model 1991 Vanagon that came with rubber floor/jump seats is considered GL model or does it have different designation?

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

vanonimous wrote:
I am curious if US market base model 1991 Vanagon that came with rubber floor/jump seats is considered GL model or does it have different designation?

They were the end of production, assembled in Graz.

Check out this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=339351&highlight=graz++rubber

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber floor for Vanagon Reply with quote

vanonimous wrote:

L model.
The GL is pretty nice while the L is a base model.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: