Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

thats easy for you, given your experinece(modok),i'm going to haft to do some reasearch. big time. we need a vw youtube channel that shows the proper procedures for things like that(without jokes,personal problems,etc.)
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
convertable-beetle-w/bugspray & screamer dist.(019) gone
"Where There's a Will There's a Way"
63 one of a kind beetle. 57 dash,double rear window--sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
I was a mopar guy back in the day and usta swear by the long rod theory. But now a days I dont find a lot of difference. Yes there is a difference but it is hard to quantify.
I will say this. A short rod motor seems to be less picky about being over cammed. Where a long rod is more specific and less forgiving on the cam grind.
I ran a few diferent roller cams (around 284@50,.650 lift) and they seemed to work just fine with the long rod in the mopar&duel 830 hollys on tunnel ram...on the street.massive head work. as for piston side loading yes and ...kinda.well.. that also depends on the pin hight as to how the thrust is applied.real low pin and that rocks the shit out of it and tries to make the ring lands contact the cylinders..high pin and...oh so eazy on things. thats why they made a race block that was about an inch shorter so you could move the pin up high as the rod was already close to optimal length.....on the other hand my big block has a raise deck and simeessee bores.400" taller deck for....mo stroke,mo power, mo fun. big is good.bigger is better, biggest..hasent been found yet. our 632 was sort of based off this same block,but our 800+ci was a spread bore for oh somuch more fun. If I ever go big bore on this vw stuff I will probably move the bores appart some.
I have a pretty good form for figuring all this out eazely on the vw, it sure came in handy when I ..down sized Wink
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

did you use 2 of the spacers per side- eaallred?
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
303epps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

"thats easy for you, given your experinece(modok),i'm going to haft to do some reasearch. big time. we need you to do a vw youtube channel that shows the proper procedures for things like that(with jokes,personal problems,etc.)

fixed it. Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

vw moses wrote:

I went about that the other way I reformed the tins where they were contacting the heads keeping them from fitting up to the shroud as normal. I also us a nylon/plastic split tube( marine cable covers, they come in lotsa sizes) it go's on the tins so they dont eat at the case as the oe tins do. I also dont use brest plate so those tabe are gone, nothing realy has to "line up" execpt for where I want it to.
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

thats cool- any pics?-anyone?
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

My 2498 is over an inch wider but I didn't want it looked all hacked up with shroud filler plate and tins that don't reach the case and leak everywhere so I widened the shroud on both sides and extended the tins. it was a lot of work but turned out great.
The black sharpie is where I added metal to each side.

My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

Nice!,thats the way to go. very clean look, thanks for sharing that, Cool
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

vw moses wrote:

I bought the rail used with this engine already in it, I only wish it was done that nice, lol. It's just a round spacer with a long bolt, huge gap. Something I need to address before next season. Just bought it a few weeks ago, got to take it out once. It seems to work "okay", but man it's an ugly gap. I'd like to keep a chrome shroud and cylinder tin in it, so i'm going to have to figure out how to tweak the cyinder tins enough to make it work/seal better.

I like what yamaducci has done. If I were to paint the shoud that's what i'd do as well. Very nice

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

tube of 3m polyurathane works wonders. I also use it to stiffen up rubber motor mounts and such, works awesome. 3m or lifecaulk they have 2 colors and a few diferent dry times.
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

the vw after-market needs to provide tins & shrouds for wider type 1 mtrs. for the strokers who have wider mtrs. that would be very helpful. Yellow 181
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

I have been saying for years why not make cylinder that with larger fins and make tins and larger fans and larger shrouds. Now they finally make extra long cylinders that can be cut down so why not add more fin area?
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

Yeah buddy. Give me a big ass head with 1/2" larger fins all the way round. I'll make it fit. All sorts of people are ALREADY spending hours fitting the tin anyway, and multiple companies making aftermarket tin too, and much of that fits poorly, and we already have accepted that.
vw moses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

custom tin work would be a market better served by a talented vendor who makes them on special order. it could be done. obviously no one
is doing it Shocked
62 beetle-gone
57 beetle-gone
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

I say use C pistons. I used C pistons and 5.5 rods. Mine is alot narrower than stock. I had to take off some from regular 94's and the tin. The 5.7 would put you close. Pistons may be more but how much is your time modifying everything.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

Use this piston with your 86 crank and 5.7 Rods with regular length barrels and you will an engine that is VERY close to stock width, I build these all the time.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

KROC wrote:

Use this piston with your 86 crank and 5.7 Rods with regular length barrels and you will an engine that is VERY close to stock width, I build these all the time.

Darren,
Are those 33mm compression height JE's with the thin rings?

AA shows these.
https://aapistons.com/collections/piston-sets/products/vw-94-x-82-forged-je-drag-race-piston-kit

Pierside shows pretty much the same thing.
http://www.piersideparts.net/JE94.html

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

Hi Brian, compression height is .945"

Cheers. Darren
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

What do people do to address the valve cover to body clearance issues with wider than stock engines??
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

1) Turn the car into a Baja Bug
2) Get out a hammer, and make it fit
3) Cut, grind, fill, and paint

From Sstgermain
Quote:
There's not enough clearance between the valve stem and the body to slide the cover off.

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: