Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Has anyone ever restored an interior light? I know that sounds stupid, but I'm working on a '53 oval, and the interior light is a 9-10 month only interior light and I'd like to restore it. This interior light is probably one of the hardest be parts to find, and I happen to have 2 of them that I'd like to fix. One just needs the chrome repainted or however they did that part, the other one has an issue with the switch contact. I figured it would be worth trying to fix, and wanted to see if anyone has come up with ways to refurbish one.
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Seems they are not all that rare as I have 2 also haha. I'm interested if anyone has come up with a way to restore them also. One of mine came with my car and works but shows it's age and the other I got from the classifieds. It is supposed to have been NOS and is in good condition but isn't perfect.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:
Seems they are not all that rare as I have 2 also haha. I'm interested if anyone has come up with a way to restore them also. One of mine came with my car and works but shows it's age and the other I got from the classifieds. It is supposed to have been NOS and is in good condition but isn't perfect.

Yours is the on/off only style too? Hopefully there's someone who's done this that can chime in.
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Yes they are two position on/off. Here is a picture of them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:

Those both look pretty nice, hopefully there's a way to clean these things up and possibly repair them.
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:

Nice pair ,somewhere on the site I read that these were probably painted originally with some kind of white paint inside, it seems from your photos that this is correct.

It would be useful if you could post a couple of photos of the inner side especially around the switch area. Thanks.
New beetle 1.6 2003
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

sotos wrote:
Matthew Tolbert wrote:

Nice pair ,somewhere on the site I read that these were probably painted originally with some kind of white paint inside, it seems from your photos that this is correct.

It would be useful if you could post a couple of photos of the inner side especially around the switch area. Thanks.

They were definitely painted, I'll add some pictures of mine as well.
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Yes I agree on the paint. I Also read about it in a thread here some time ago. Here are a few pictures of the backside and of the switch and contact

1965 Notchback S
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

These pics are great ! Thanks Matthew. Smile

Certainly there is a "factory" look on how the paint is applied , now we need to know what kind of paint is that ,I assume it should have a degree of transparency and not affecting the plastic.

I have one very similar but with three position switch , I'll have to use that until I find a proper one.
New beetle 1.6 2003
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

As a tip on Jays58s original question about the chrome part of the dome light ,
though I haven't done any restoration of this type myself I don't think it is painted but there must have been used a plating technique like this one :
http://www.muellercorp.com/chrome.php
New beetle 1.6 2003
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

I think the most difficult part would be removing the old paint and chrome finish to be able to replate them.
1965 Notchback S
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

I finally got the interior light working and in the car, but I still need to figure out how to fix the chrome, and I need to replace the knob.

Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Looks good
1965 Notchback S
Brad Ripley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

This Porsche version may be good for your application
http://www.stoddard.com/64463210100-nla.html
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 oval only Dome/interior light restoration Reply with quote

Brad Ripley wrote:
This Porsche version may be good for your application
http://www.stoddard.com/64463210100-nla.html

Is that a 2 position switch? '53 ovals came with a 2 position interior light that was only used for 9 months. The 3 position switches are for '54 and later bugs, those are fairly easy to find.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: