Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Over My Dead Body
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

I'm not selling my '86 1 owner Westy Weekender but my wife wants me to make plans in case something should bring about our demise. My feeling is that when our estate is cleared up the Van should go to someone who is really into Vanagons and will take care of it like I have. That someone should value Vanagons enough to be willing to pay what is is actually worth and the only way I can really think to find someone like that is through an auction that deals in cars like Vanagons.

I'm not planning on dying soon, but I am 70 years old, and we both could be killed in an accident tomorrow so were just trying to do some estate planning.

Does anyone have any suggestions of who to contact?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

I would just pick someone on the Samba and give it away. You'll spend more on execution and legal bills trying to auction an estate item than its worth.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

I'm operating a free range Urban Sanctuary for lost and abandoned German vehicles.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

I'll assume that you have created a trust that has beneficiaries and an administrator. In the trust direct the administrator to advertise and sell it on TheSamba with the proceeds going to the estate.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

saw the title and thought it was about fuel hoses Twisted Evil

for stocks or funds there is a thing called Transfer on Death (TOD) - might work for vehicles, but dunno

you could find somebody and sell them the Van with a proviso that you retain use of it as long as you wish and possession transfers to them when you give it up or die whichever occurs first
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

You could stipulate that you be buried in it.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

Viking funeral.

Or you could will it to something like the Humane Society for them to auction off and the proceeds fund them.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

Auction it off as part of the estate with all proceeds going to the samba as a donation.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

Vanagon pyre

Link

Heading for the great fuel leak in the sky...

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

A planned out Will is always a good idea.

You probably have already had the same thoughts in your head so nothing new here.
The execution of the Will is usually a stressful undertaking for a surviving family member. They are going through the grief process and that lasts a little while depending on the person.
Then dividing up the benefits as has been seen from the positive and negative experiences of some families. Some people see dollar signs and others do not.

Do you have a lawyer acting out the clauses of the Will or is it going to be a family member?

If you watch TheSamba classifieds you will notice some vehicles are on there a long time. There are plenty of postings and it is nice to think they all selling, but the reality I have seen is that there are some that are repeat postings. People have the normal desire to gain back what they feel the vehicle is worth and value is real, but the potential buyers can be fickle about dropping the money for it. Selling it can be a stressful thing for a family member.

So I'm thinking the only way you are going to know it went to good dedicated individual and the proceeds go into the estate finances is for you to sell it yourself before you kick the bucket. At some point you have to mentally let go of it.
Of you can pick a family member, friend or stranger who you see is dedicated as you were and give it to them in your Will.

For me I have it known only to the person who needs to know to put a copy of the Syncro keys showing in my hand as I lay in the casket. That's more of a last laugh and it will put a smile on some faces instead of the grief they will be feeling at the time. Probably a 10mm wrench too! Laughing

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Viking Funeral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

campism wrote:
You could stipulate that you be buried in it.

hans j wrote:
Viking funeral.

You rang?
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

If I live long enough, I may just sell it to someone I know will appreciate it, but if I die before that, we will have a or trustee (lawyer) dispose of it as I see fit.

Thanks to all of you. You have given me some things to think about. One thing is for sure, I will not be doing anything to ruin it like burying it or burning it or even offing myself in it (thats what rental cars are for). I want it to have a good home, preferably out of the rust belt.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
I'm not selling my '86 1 owner Westy Weekender but my wife wants me to make plans ...

Westy Weekender? Is this a poptop without the galley?

Aloha
tp
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

Hans and I will help your van find a home when the time comes Brother Rich.

You're van is one of my favorite Vanagon love stories!

One owner since new.

Hoping to hook up this coming year.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

I've been impressed that bus owners actually care where their buses end up.

We'll likely give ours to a deserving person or couple we know would love it and care for it just like we do.

But I will stipulate that if they sell it, meaning just to cash out, all funds above mechanical expenses would go to a charity we choose — probably one preserving the wilderness lands we've long made a living photographing. I'd stipulate the same if for any reason the recipients don't want it to begin with.

Last edited by E1 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Love My Westy wrote:
I'm not selling my '86 1 owner Westy Weekender but my wife wants me to make plans ...

Westy Weekender? Is this a poptop without the galley?

Aloha
tp

Yes. It is the poptop without a galley, just a fold-up table and jump seat and portable fridge. Cabinets in back, but full Z bed.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
Hans and I will help your van find a home when the time comes Brother Rich.

You're van is one of my favorite Vanagon love stories!

One owner since new.

Hoping to hook up this coming year.

Jeffrey,

Good to hear from you! I ain't dead yet, but that mountain biking in Moab may just kill me.

Rich
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

You and your spouse should have living trusts and executor needs to be named. Express your wishes to your spouse and executor. You could have specific instructions included in the trust document.

I do estate and trust work and have seen some specific instructions for various assets. Vehicles commonly go to specific beneficiaries or get donated to clubs etc.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Over My Dead Body Reply with quote

hey yonder - can he establish a life estate for a chattel so he can possess and drive until he dies?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: