Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Garage fire... be careful Folks!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Garage fire... be careful Folks! Reply with quote

I've a local friend who has had a 66 type 2 for Many many years, he recently spent literally years having it professionally restored and only recently (Spring?) got it back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sadly, his garage caught on fire and took out his whole collection here in NJ....

Please people, be careful parking your units inside!
Especially this time of year with various heaters (some of questionable integrity) being used in your garages.

Don't experience my friends heartbreak first hand.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

I think I just died a little bit inside....

Crying or Very sad
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Ugh. Sickening. Hope there's good insurance on all that...

So, what sort of heater was he using?

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

I feel his pain, sorry this happened.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

I don't yet know the cause of the fire, I'll talk to him next week hopefully.

Yes, he was insured.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Our house has a two car garage... For that very reason, we've never parked a vehicle of any kind inside of it. We moved into the brand new home on December 27, 1992. And, until the day I die, there will never be a car put in the garage, period!

Sorry to see such a horrible loss!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Times 2.
Insurance money is just money, can't really replace that.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Oh man, what a bad deal.
vw4life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Totally agree! Can't imagine.

Sorry for his loss that really sucks
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Every time an offbrand engine is crammed into a VW, I feel the exact same way.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Not just a personal loss, but a loss for humanity. There's just not many left... Crying or Very sad
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Yes, he was insured.......

Money can't buy you the happiness you have, wrenching on your old VW.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

I predict a fight with the Insurance Co. over the value of that Samba
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

I feel their pain. 30 years ago, my '72 914 suffered the same fate. The fuel pump was mounted under the car to fix the vapor lock problem. Somewhere on the way home from work, the pump fell off and was dragging. Pulled into the garage and went to bed. While we were sleeping, the tank was draining out and at 5am, the furnace kicked on and BOOM! The bedrooms were above the garage and all the heater vent covers popped out of the floor. The door to the garage was pushed out the wall by a couple of inches. Anything plastic 3 feet from the ceiling melted. The fire never got beyond the garage. My dad's 924 while only 3 feet from the 914 suffered no damage other than soot smeared into the paint by firemen pushing the car outside. The '72 was replaced with a '75 which we still have.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

what was the car to the right in the second photograph???

maybe if one keeps a nice car, in a garage, a sprinkler system should be installed

the other photo of the 914 is bad, but not as bad, that 914 if not repairable should at least have some salvagable parts. funny I never had a vapour lock problem in my 914, even in desert heat with stock early fuel pump location.

when it is said the pump was relocated under the car, where was it placed, not under the floor boards was it as there is very little ground clearance there????

later 914s, the last couple years I believe had the pump moved to the front trunk area. early cars had the pump under the battery area, below the engine bay, mid production cars moved the pump slightly lower, but still well above the floors. one problem with the 914 for fire was battery acid would eat thru the nylon fuel lines which were right below the battery, and battery was exposed to weather from above, so a leaky battery would have acid spill on the fuel lines when it rained, or car was washed.h

the bright side in both these garage fires is everyone got out ok, and that is more important than all the cars money can buy, so at least that part of the story is happy Very Happy Laughing Smile , the cars however suck way too bad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad : Sad Sad Sad

Last edited by bluebus86 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Dave... posting photos like that on the Samba should get you banned for life. Ugh. All kidding aside, I'm so sorry for your friend's loss and this is a good reminder about being extra careful in the garage whether it be: heaters, battery chargers, fuel lines, and/or ??? Damn...

Bottomline is that hopefully no one got injured. Things can be replaced but people cannot.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

The Pacer was unscathed? There is no justice.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Bluebus86 - This 914 had vapor lock all the time when the temps got into the 80's and we were driving long distances. The pump was mounted under the car on the right side of the engine. It was a mod that others did, so it was done with this car. After the fire, we found the pump hanging off the car nice and toasted. It had scrape marks from dragging. It may have hung low enough to pull one of the fuel lines loose when driving into the garage. The car was serviced days ago with a new fuel filter added which required unbolting the pump to be able to swap the filter. We think they didn't bolt it back on, or didn't tighten it up properly. Got the money from the insurance, bought the '75 and never went back to that shop again.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
Bluebus86 - This 914 had vapor lock all the time when the temps got into the 80's and we were driving long distances. The pump was mounted under the car on the right side of the engine. It was a mod that others did, so it was done with this car. After the fire, we found the pump hanging off the car nice and toasted. It had scrape marks from dragging. It may have hung low enough to pull one of the fuel lines loose when driving into the garage. The car was serviced days ago with a new fuel filter added which required unbolting the pump to be able to swap the filter. We think they didn't bolt it back on, or didn't tighten it up properly. Got the money from the insurance, bought the '75 and never went back to that shop again.
that is a real shame. circumstantail evidence points to the shop messing up the pump reinstall. I currently have a couple 72 914s and a non runner 70. the pump in the early cars was mointed higher up, then maybe in 73 or 74 they lowered it a bit to get it more cooling air, but still well above the floor boards, finally in 75 I think it went in the frunk (in a twin trunk car like the 914 me and my friends refer to the front trunk as frunk and rear trunk as runk!!!!) some folks aslo add a hose to the heater box on the passenger side to direct the dumped heater air out away from the pump area. again I never had a vapour lockmissue, but have heard of it plenty of times.

one things for sure, these cars handle really nice.

glad you recovered finacially and replaced the 914 with another. it is amazing how they have increased in value over the years.

I lost one aboit 13 or so years ago while waiting at a red light. Ford Explorer rear ended me, bent the car, roof no longer fit!!! got a replacment and put all my good suspension in it, then swapped out a bigger motor, and eventually built it up to 2.1 liter. use it as acommuter, and even have gone on camping treks in it, great on windy roads. but now days it is a bit scarey on the commute, specialy in silicon valley where fhe traffic is horrible and everyone is distracted with electronics, jerks tailgate, roll stops signs etc... no one is carefull anymore, I dont want to get hurt again. some times I wish I had a 1970 four door LTD or some other monster boat of a car. But i really love them little cars (I like my vanagon too)

glad no one was hurt in the garage fire.

you know a sprinker system should not be too hard to install, it is required in many commerical parking garages. most home attached garages have a water supply, so get some pipes, mount on ceiing and some sprinkler heads with the fusable link. shouldnt be too expensive if you do it yourself. it may not save the car from damage, but can prevent thr fires spread or give valuable extra time for escape. when i was a kid, a friends dad was horribly burned when he was working on the fuel system on his station wagon, fuel spilled and the water heater ignited it.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Photos not Vanagon but be careful Folks! Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
I predict a fight with the Insurance Co. over the value of that Samba

Questions like what was the push mower doing on the roof come to mind.

I cannot imagine why anyone would locate their furnace or hot water heater in the garage....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: