Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Joey's '71 Super Resto
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

I'm now the proud owner of a 1971 Super Beetle. The previous owners, a great couple (and their kids) owned the vehicle since 1995 and it was quite apparent they really loved the car and it was more than just a mode of transport. I will be sending them this link and I hope they enjoy the restoration process as it moves along.

The vehicle came to my possession as a text message "pass-along". By that I mean my father in law's best friend, was working on the couple's home and saw the Beetle in the garage. From there he texted my father in law about the car and the couple's desire to sell it to someone who was going to take care of it. My father in law texted me and I was all in, without seeing pics. A week later I received pictures from my father in law and I knew I had to have the car. I went to see the bug with my father in law after another week, and a deal was made for it. So, another week passed and finally yesterday, I went and got it. It's now sitting in my garage Wink

The plans are quite simple, go step by step and repair, restore, reinstall whatever components are needed in order to get a safe weekend cruiser. This vehicle will be dedicated to the memory of my father who unfortunately passed unexpectedly in September of this year. He was a lifelong Beetle fan and passed along that love of the Beetle's honest engineering to my brothers and I. I hope he is happy with the results, although I'm going to lower the car and I know he wouldn't have liked that - love you dad!

Well here comes the pictures;)

These were the pictures my father in law sent me. Some of you have already seen these ones from my previous thread but I want to keep all in one place. As you can see, the car looked incredibly clean for an Ohio car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are from yesterday, towing the car home. I didn't take that many pics because it was freezing cold and I hate cold weather lol. Actually I took more pics with the seller's wife's phone, since she wanted to have some pics. I ended up taking a good amount of pictures of the whole family in the car. Cool!

And finally in the garage.

Here are better pics taken with an actual camera as opposed to my old cell.

Luckily for me, I have a mid-rise scissor lift and the Beetle fits perfectly on there. I lifted it and looked all over it and took a few pics for you guys to look over and recommend, point out, bring to my attention anything you see. I know I need the engine tin around the crank pulley, removal of the fuel filter and new fresh air hoses, but anything else please say so.

Wow hasn't been on the road since '98.

A bit of rust showing through the paint. But honestly nothing bad.

Pass side kick panel area - clean.

Driver's side, just glue residue.

And a bunch of pics of the engine compartment. This is the sexy stuff Wink

Looking at the engine serial #, I see the AD letter code and this leads me to believe that it's not original to the car because according to the decoder, AD engines were not for US cars. Am I correct?

Well that's it for now. At the moment the engine does't run due to a faulty starter and I'm sure other issues. I'm purchasing a reman starter and spark plugs locally and will give the engine a good once-over. Plan is to adjust valves, clean/adjust points. Clean the distributor cap contacts and change the oil. Then give it a try. I'll be sure to post pics of the process as I go along.

Thanks for reading!
Joey

Last edited by joey1320 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Nice project and memorial.

Rev,
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Welcome, looks like a nice bug. I think it's great to keep the memory yet make the car your own.
I had deja-vu on the tow pics lol

How do you like that mid-rise lift? I've been thinking of getting one to help keep these old bones a bit more off the floor.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

plate riveted over the original numbers means it was rebuilt at one time by VEGE, distributed by ATK.
One of many threads on this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=361154&
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
plate riveted over the original numbers means it was rebuilt at one time by VEGE, distributed by ATK.

Wow I actually live near vege , was thinking of having my spare case machined there, never realised they where so international, you could'nt tell from the tiny shop they have here.

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
Welcome, looks like a nice bug. I think it's great to keep the memory yet make the car your own.
I had deja-vu on the tow pics lol

How do you like that mid-rise lift? I've been thinking of getting one to help keep these old bones a bit more off the floor.

Ha yours look a lot better than mine lol.

Regarding the lift, I love it. It's not a inground lift like the ones at my job but for a home garage, its perfect. I have done every major repair you can think of with it, including removing and installing an engine and transmission on my '00 Honda Civic(on multiple occasions). Biggest issue is under body repairs or for example brake/fuel lines. The lift does get in the way but for that I usually lift the vehicle off the lift and place some good spacers on the arms, giving me more clearance.

This is the same lift: http://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-scissor-lift-91315.html

Use the 25% coupon for a nice discount. I used it and it went through online. It'll be about $99 for shipping and another $50-60 for the fluid and 220v connector. You need 220v, so take that into consideration.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Thank you for the info, glad to know Wink
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Thank you, appreciate the info 👍
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Well last night I removed the starter and bench tested it - shot. So I placed an online pickup order at Advanced Auto and got a reman starter, starter bushing, plugs, oil and battery and got the parts right before they closed.

Today I removed the starter bushing using a M11 by 1.5 tap and installed the new starter. I replaced the plugs, set static timing at 7.5* BTDC. Changed the oil, although I'm about 1/2 quart low since it has an oil sump and it didn't cross my mind to buy more(Bought 4 quarts, one was for my other car - used them all). Removed the fuel feed line to the pump and ran an external line to a fuel container. It took a few tries but then it fired right up and idled like a champ.

I still have to adjust the valves and I will like to remove/clean/inspect and reinstall the carb, but for right now, I'm stoked.

Here's a horrid picture of it running. I have a crappy video of it but not yet uploaded. Can't wait to keep chipping away at it Wink

Last edited by joey1320 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Not surprised it started right up, that great underrated Brazilian combo
H30/31 and 009
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Reading the "Beetles and Fires" thread freaked me out so I started looking into purchasing new fuel hoses and clamps. I was searching online and out of the blue I remembered a local foreign auto parts store, so I decided to stop by in my lunch break.

Needless to say, they had everything I needed at a cheaper price. Man how stupid of me to even forget about them... Its like you start buying stuff online and forget about the locals.

Well I got 6ft of 5mm woven hose, 10 clamps, valve cover gaskets for when I do the valve adjustment and a M10 x 110mm bolt/nut for the starter. All for $24.35. They only had the plastic fuel filters so I didn't get one so I'll stop at another store for a metal one.

Hopefully tonight I'll get started on the fuel system.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

I had some time Thursday to spend on the car so I decided to do a valve adjustment job. While i had the valve covers off, I gave them a quick cleanup and a fresh coat of paint. Not the best job but this is just temporary until I get my powder coating system in place.

There were only a few valves that really needed the adjustment, as they were extremely tight and without any spacing. But they all got a nice once over. Easy breezy.

After a really good scrubbing with hot water and dawn soap.

After a nice coat of Rustoleum oil based aluminum paint.

While looking over the car I noticed a few things that will be fixed very soon. Both rear bearings' castle nuts are missing cotter pins, so those will be installed when I go over the brakes.

The fuel line was routed via the fan housing. Another issue which will be fixed and routed correctly when I start work on the fuel lines. Got to find a rubber coated holder for it too.

One question regarding the fuel lines, specially the one coming off the fuel tank. Looking at it, it has what I believe to be a rubber grommet/sleeve, is this so? Do I need to remove the fuel tank to get to the hose coming off it?

As you can see I clamped off the line and will be replacing all the hoses, just wanted to know by the time I get to the tank.

Last edited by joey1320 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Luckily for me, I have a mid-rise scissor lift and the Beetle fits perfectly on there. Joey

Joey - most of us are real jealous of that lift !!! I think back to this week and working under the trunk lid of my 1970, or a few weeks ago doing the front and rear rubber seals....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
joey1320 wrote:
Luckily for me, I have a mid-rise scissor lift and the Beetle fits perfectly on there. Joey

Joey - most of us are real jealous of that lift !!! I think back to this week and working under the trunk lid of my 1970, or a few weeks ago doing the front and rear rubber seals....

I bow my head and say thank-you Wink

I knew I needed a lift after spending almost 3 hours trying to fit an exhaust system on my Honda and the header smashing me in the mouth after I let go of it by mistake. At that moment I knew a lift was in order.

I started researching my options and to this day it was the best $1400(total) I spent on anything automotive related for my home. It's "payed" for itself tenfold.

Any info on the fuel tank hose Smile ?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
One question regarding the fuel lines, specially the one coming off the fuel tank. Looking at it, it has what I believe to be a rubber grommet/sleeve, is this so? Do I need to remove the fuel tank to get to the hose coming off it?

joey1320 wrote:
Any info on the fuel tank hose Smile ?

I'll go take a look on my '71 Super Convertible if you promise not to drive yours until you get all the engine tins in place; you should not be able to look down and see the ground !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

OK, here's what a 1971 Super Beetle Convertible original fuel line from tank to pan looks like after 45 years

Fuel tank end, does show a grommet

Pan end, passenger side; you can see the crimped-on clamp at the pan end (my 1970 sedan did not have a clamp at either end of its fuel line from the tank). Note: that's not gasoline leakage, at least from the last few decades. Both photos taken after jacking up front end, and just in front of passenger tire.

This would be a good place to add an all-metal fuel filter too.

Would you need to remove the fuel tank to attach the hose to the tank outlet on a Super? I think you might need to, others here will know; I have only removed the gas tank on my 1970 standard, but not much to that other than disconnecting the wire for the sender, the fuel and vent hoses (I loosened the clamps and rotated them to loosen them), and removing 4 bolts.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

All four bearings' castle nuts are missing cotter pins,

4?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
joey1320 wrote:

All four bearings' castle nuts are missing cotter pins,

4?

Oops, only for rear. Embarassed Wink
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I'll go take a look on my '71 Super Convertible if you promise not to drive yours until you get all the engine tins in place; you should not be able to look down and see the ground !!!

Thanks!
A new engine seal and rear tin is in order. Hopefully it gets here by new year's.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Joey's '71 Super Resto Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
joey1320 wrote:

OK, here's what a 1971 Super Beetle Convertible original fuel line from tank to pan looks like after 45 years

Fuel tank end, does show a grommet

Pan end, passenger side; you can see the crimped-on clamp at the pan end (my 1970 sedan did not have a clamp at either end of its fuel line from the tank). Note: that's not gasoline leakage, at least from the last few decades. Both photos taken after jacking up front end, and just in front of passenger tire.

This would be a good place to add an all-metal fuel filter too.

Would you need to remove the fuel tank to attach the hose to the tank outlet on a Super? I think you might need to, others here will know; I have only removed the gas tank on my 1970 standard, but not much to that other than disconnecting the wire for the sender, the fuel and vent hoses (I loosened the clamps and rotated them to loosen them), and removing 4 bolts.

Hmm...I just can't see how I would be able to get to the tank nipple without pulling up the tank. ThanK you for the pictures.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: