Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Steelz21 wrote:
That looks amazing, I love the fan shroud.

So close now, maybe by summers end?

Andy

Man I hope so! Going to try and pre fit the engine this weekend so I can measure the oil and fuel lines and have everything in place for final engine install. One step closer.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I was able to mount the eternal oil cooler and fan under the cargo area, above the transmission, tight space to work in, now just need to measure lines and plumb it.

Also pre-fit the engine in place in order see how I want to connect everything, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator, breather box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have no idea how I was able to get the engine onto the jack, under the apron, and up into the engine compartment. At one point when I tilted the engine back to tuck it under, the jack slipped back and I had to catch the engine and use my foot to push the jack back under! Dripping sweat in 90+ degrees didn't help, but alas, mounted. One step closer!

Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Applause
Nice! I know it's only a test fit, but it must be exciting to reach this point. Looks like a lot of HP there. I know these engines are not supposed to be complicated to drop and put back, but I wouldn't have the confidence to try it alone.
Your car is looking awesome Jeff.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, keeping Ghia's stock is definitely much easier, but I've never had one completely stock, so going for what I want. Also not looking forward to connecting all the various wires throughout the engine compartment with all the upgrades I've made, so I am sure I will be asking more questions here!

Getting closer to installing that nose badge, last item I want to install, probably after I get it running and pass local safety inspection!
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Been out of country for work recently so trying to catch up. A few questions I need some help with:

I'm installing and wiring up my external cooler through a relay. In this schematic I am trying to figure out where to connect the wire shown in the lower right marked 'Keyed 12volt power'.

Can I connect that wire direct to the battery positive side, or do I have to run it all the way to the fuse box? Please clarify.

Also, I will be using this breather box I've had for years and cleaned up.

Does anyone know where I can find the filter material for this or recommend what I can stuff in there?

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Jeff, FWIW I piggybacked onto the 12V at my coil (from the ignition switch). I figured with the ignition off there's no oil circulating no need to keep running the cooler fan. In the past I used stainless steel Brillo as a relatively cheap, readily available oil vapor separator (https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-214C-Stainless...amp;sr=8-4); nothing lasts forever but I found the the ss outlasts the less expensive copper Brillo pads in that environment. IIRC the original VW oil bath air filters used media similar to the copper Brillo, but with fresh air and 'clean' oil that stuff lasted forever.
jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Jeff, as you well know, you can't go wrong with crocteau advice, but thought I'd add this link to replacement gauze filter. Can't say I've got any experience with it since I'm using the original oil bath air filter, but looks like a possibility.
https://www.v-dubstore.com/replacement-gauze-filter-for-breathers-p/e8541.htm

John
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thank you Charley, that makes sense. I was hoping I could route to the coil, closer wire run, so will go that way for sure.

I never thought of the SS Brillo pads but could definitely work and will try them out.

John, thanks for the link, that looks made specifically for the breather I have. It looks a bit like some basic foam, so an easy find locally. Have you been running your Ghia?

Jeff

jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

yeh -- had been away from it (and this forum) for awhile, then, not long ago, I checked in on your resto thread and saw the amazing progress you've been making. Motivated me to finally get back into it, and it's running great right now. A few more tweaks and I'll be ready to get it inspected and back on the road legally for the first time in 28 years! Looking forward to bringing it up your way and seeing what's new in the Ghia Haus.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

That's awesome John, can't wait to see it!!

I'm pressing on slowly but surely, been busy with work travel and keeping others busy.
Jeff

jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

One more bit of info on the oil breather (which I don't use, so take this for what it's worth) -- when I was looking through J-Bugs for some things, it reminded me that their parts descriptions sometimes include additional info on install and fitting... Anyway, I looked up their breather and in their details, they mention both the mesh and foam materials being used together, with the mesh elevating the foam, along the lines of Charley's comment about separating the oil and vapor. Here's the link https://www.jbugs.com/product/8544.html
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks John, I see how that can make sense. In the picture at the previous link you sent, there appeared to be a vented 'shelf' where the foam would set, which I don't have and never did as far as I know. In that case, it's easy to place the mesh in the bottom and then a thinner piece of foam, easy enough. I think I'll build something out like that.

Thanks again for the input!
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Update on what I have been doing on my Ghia. As those of you who have been following my build know, I decided to go with the Porsche style shroud. After tearing it down, weighing all specific parts, balancing them, full flowing the case, reassembling, and test firing the engine, it was time to start working out how I wanted to connect everything. I have test fitted the engine as well to begin modifications for routing electrical, fuel, and oil lines. Test Fit:

I am also connecting this engine to an external oil cooler, so had to not only locate a place to mount it, but where to run the oil lines for the cooler and filter set up. Instead of routing the lines all over the place in the typical fashion, oil pump to filter, filter to bypass, bypass to thermostat, thermostat to cooler, line out to bypass, bypass to filter, filter to engine, as many know, that is a lot of routing and connecting in limited space.

I decided to mount the external cooler above the transmission, attached to the bottom of the rear cargo area:

As you can see, I mounted the thermostat directly to the inlet connector of the cooler. I then had to modify how I wanted to route the lines directly back to the engine. With the shroud I have there is little room where the doghouse style oil cooler was mounted, and it previously had a cooler block off plate. What I decided to do was modify the shroud and used a low profile oil cooler adaptor to hide under the shroud, and to run the external lines directly back to the bypass and block:

Going with this method, I had to cut away a portion of the shroud in order for the lines to run into and out of the block.

This gave me room to route the lines, but also left a bit of opening in the shroud, so I made a 'cover plate' to help seal the opening. I made this out of a thick high strength rubber sheet:

While not perfect, when tightened down it does close off the area I cut out of the shroud.

I then tapped out two holes in the lower fire wall to route the oil lines from the cooler into the cooler bypass, into/out the block:

So what did I do with the lines for the filter? I ran one line from the oil pump directly to the filter, then from the filter the lines will route directly into the block at the rear of the engine:

Since these hoses will have to route between the exhaust pipes, I covered them with a high temp hose wrap like race cars do when routing through high heat areas. These lines will run to the oil filter mount that I placed under the rear panel, just above the bumper mount brackets:

While this method was a lot of work and required some thought, I believe it will serve my purpose. I'm sure there will be some that disagree and say what I've done won't work, and I welcome CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, if you've done something like this and see a problem, point it out.

One step closer!
Jeff

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I like your posts. You must have been a teacher in a prior life; explaining everything patiently in detail, step by step. And it looks like you enjoy it, Jeff.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Ha Ha, thank you Sir, probably all the report writing I had to do as a Cop years ago, then in the Military and working with the government. I had to make sure things were clear in case I had to testify. Not sure if my writing is always so precise, I've been told I can be 'wordy', in other words I explain too much, like now!! Glad to know you are enjoying my thread.

Not sure if I ever said, but I read your entire Emiko story a few years back and truly enjoyed that!
Jeff

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Looking good! Cool Location aside your oil cooler configuration doesn't appear to be a lot different in principle than a stock cooler setup, but it's possible you might have to do some runs with various weight oils to find how your setup works best under different ambient conditions... if you've already read the thread posted in the performance FAQS "Sticky's" detailing the oil system operation then you're way ahead of me Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Charley, I have not read through that thread, so I'll check it out. I hope it's not as long as the 'What kind of oil should I use thread'...That one wore me out!!
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I was looking for a thread on this topic, couldn't find, so hoping someone reads this question.

Does anyone know the size of the nut that goes on the lower part of the starter where it connects to the transmission, just the nut?

I lost mine somewhere and can't find anything close. Have also looked through Ghia parts catalog and didn't see it, so if missed and someone can tell me the page it would help.

Jeff

Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Jeff, it's M10 x 1.5
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Ian!! I will see if I can find one locally.
Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 26

Jump to: