Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

While I had some time, I decided to try tackling the semi-rotted header bow. Both of the outer ends had a bit of water damage/rot. On the left side, the laminated wood had separated a bit, so I just ran some good wood glue and clamped it. Right side was a different story, rotten and flaking wherever I touched, almost like old cardboard.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only thing I figured I could do was to cut out the bad rot a bit larger and fit in a chunk of wood.

Had some small cut pieces of maple, shaped a piece oversize, and wedged it into place. Glued and clamped, left it alone for a few days.

When it was nice and dry, I countersunk a small screw to make it more solid.

Finally began shaping it using belt sander, hand sanding, and a file. There were a few small gaps, so I made up some wood fill with the saw dust and wood glue.

Not perfect but shape came out pretty close to other side. If I had mad woodworking skills and tools like a Violin Maker, I could probably be more precise. Will definitely have to make a few adjustments once placed against the windshield frame, but that should be easy enough. Will be sure to put some urethane varnish on it to try and waterproof a little, we'll see how it turns out when finished.

Still having trouble removing the screw/bolts holding the header bow mounting plates. Been spraying penetrating oil on it almost every day. Tried the air hammer and wrench on it to turn at same time, nothing. Tried heating it up with a torch until I ran out of gas in my small bottle. while it was hot I did try hitting it with the air hammer again, no movement. Looks like all I am left with trying now is to get it super hot and whacking with the BFH. Last resort is to try cutting through the bolt and figuring out how to remove the pieces.......
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Wow!! Nice job Jeff. I'm impressed. I have a spare top with an original wood bow that is in similar condition and I will eventually repair it the same way you did. I think it's less work than trying to fit a new wood bow since I've read that most need some shaping to fit right.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Nice woodwork.
Woodworking skills in Vw restoration. Who’d a thought.
J
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I am in the middle of doing the same thing. I ended up gluing on a similar piece and epoxied it in place. I am shaping it now. My bow separated in the middle at the finger joints. I had similar issues getting the bolts out of the plates. I heated mine with an acetylene torch and it still didn't come out, I ended up having to drill one bolt out.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Yeah the woodworking was a bit scary, but should work out fine.

Canghia, I'm going to try one more time trying to heat it again, if doesn't work, I think all I can do is cut out or drill out like you did.

Will update when I figure it out.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

After weeks of trying everything to loosen the bolts holding the header bow mount plates, penetrating oil, heat, BFH, and air chisel to no avail, I pulled out the Sawzall , slipped the blade between the plate and the frame, and cut that bolt in half!

Tried knocking the remaining head of the bolt from behind, cut end, but wouldn't budge. Hit it with the air chisel, and the bolt moved and dropped out.

That done finally. Now just have to clean it all up, spray some good rust preventer, and try to mount it all back together....A good day.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

You showed it who is boss! Laughing
It must have felt good to finally see those plates come off.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Oh yes, felt really good. I was getting completely demotivated working on my Ghia because of this. Now that these are out, motivated again to push on.
Jeff

Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Its the final steps that seem to be the most difficult to complete. I loved the larger projects, the body work and larger rebuild stuff. The fiddly end of project stuff is tough especially now as I wait for parts to complete the project. I think I spend more time trying to remember where I was. Glad that you are almost done.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks, yeah it's the same when doing restoration on the house, all the big stuff goes in, and then you get to the end, cabinet handles, switch covers, paint touch up, that takes forever to finish. Getting this obstacle out of the way definitely motivates me to push on again toward completion. Getting there!
Off to the garage to clean up the top frame, will update soon.
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Anyone know where I can get those little brass washers that go between the header bow plate mount and the frame? There was a guy selling a set in the classifieds, but I waited too long and they sold. I can't even remember what they are called. Will have to look through the parts manual I guess. As a backup, I did a little research, and they look similar to eyelets used for tarp covers or for sails. I think they would work and may pick up a set to see...modification seems to be where it's at for the hard to find small parts!
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

The weather has warmed up and snow melting, so decided to get back to work.
Have been doing some work on the lower dash pad, cracked and metal on the underside was really rusty. I took a lot of it off previously and used some JB-Weld to seal the cracks. The backside was slathered with the JB and clamped to seal the remaining metal back to the pad, as well as the furthest mount bolt.

Had to do some more sanding and filing of the JB and clean up so I could treat the metal and hit it with some POR.

Once that had all cured and dried, I went back with some filler in the far corner just to fill the gap. I'll clean it up and shape it better once it's all cured.

I wasn't finished there, while all that was going on, I was working on assembling my top frame and getting it mounted.....that was real fun, story and pics to follow.
Jeff

Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

That's a good way to restore parts, without braking the bank. I did the same with the knee pads.....

I know it's not original, but neither 200$ replacement knee pads are Confused
So I did about the same to mine, used screws, rust protection, 2K epoxy, and some vinyl, to make them look presentable :

Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:

I wasn't finished there, while all that was going on, I was working on assembling my top frame and getting it mounted.....that was real fun, story and pics to follow.
Jeff

Oh and the fun begins. Looking forward to seeing your top come together. I totally enjoyed working on the top.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Hi Vlad, yeah the lower pads are ok, the smaller one is fine, the long one as you see was just rusted and falling apart, but the epoxy held it together fine, and painting it with POR will help. Once I decide what color my interior will be, I'll cover the pads with material and no one will notice. I never had the pads on my original Ghia, but this was in the donor car, so decided to keep as many original parts as possible.

Marc, I'm excited too about getting the top together,, I got the frame in by myself, which showed me I should have had another hand or two. Just trying to get the main mounts connected to the pillars was a hassle! Had to pry one of the main joints while tapping with a long handled of a hammer, hold it in place, then try to get a bolt in a few threads before starting all over again trying to get another bolt in, all six of them! But the top goes up and down without any kind of interference, and sits flat on the top of the windshield frame, so I must have done something correct.

Will try to post some pics tomorrow, too tired tonight.
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

OK, finally have some time to post an update with pics. After getting the wood bow reshaped and cleaned up, along with the frame, hacking off the old mount plates and putting in the semi decent re-pops, painted several coats of POR-15 tweaked a few other things....and then time to put together.

First thing was to get that elusive rubber grommet in place on the pivot bolt, Chucks Convertible part.

Then mounting the bow in place. I didn't want to crank down on the screws all the way until I had the frame mounted in the Ghia

Now off to the Ghia Haus for fitting.....Like I said previously, that was some work. Setting it in place was one thing, trying to get each side bolted down....UGH. But eventually with a lot of prying and slamming..and more than a few swear words, i got it bolted in.

The frame folded up and down quite well. The wood bow sat down along the wind shield frame pretty level with just what looks like the right amount of gap, before putting all the padding and top material on. No doubt will need to make adjustments again at that time.

Question: How tight does that pivot pin bolt need to be? Just snug? Bolted in but not too tight? Should it make the frame drag a little? All advice helpful.

Jeff

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Nice job with the wood bow Jeff. Looks very well fitted. Applause

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Jeff,

One mistake I made in redoing my top/front bow was to forget to have the alignment pins in place WITH the rubber inserts in the windshield frame before screwing it all together.

I have issues with the pin alignment now that the car is done. Embarassed

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on that, have those parts ordered. Will definitely heed your advice before tightening everything down. It makes sense to adjust with those in place.

Question for anyone, I asked above but may have gotten lost, how much do I tighten down on the pivot bolt? Not sure if I crank it down all the way, or just leave it loose enough to rotate smoothly.
Jeff

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Adjust the door windows and add the rubbers seals before you do the top. Make everything line up before building up the fabric
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 26

Jump to: