Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Looking good Jeff. Does POR15 have to be top coated?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

the gloss black needs top coat if exposed to light regularly. It goes 'chalky' over time.
I use it on lots of chassis and mechanical parts 'cos it is tough and flows out really nicely. With good prep it looks like powdercoat.
the silver does not go chalky.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I don't think the POR needs to be top coated, I guess I could have just used that, but I thought I would throw the semi-gloss over it just to give it a little shine...now that I think about it, not really sure why I used the other paint. Whatever, it looks better than before!!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Nice work there Jeff, Its amazing what an improvement can be made with a good clean up.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Nicholas, every time I clean up original parts to be able to use them, it's nice that we have improved products and technology that will hopefully allow these cars to last another 50 years. Like most here, I've tried to use as many parts, even original screws that clean up well, while other times I replace with updated stainless, especially having a convertible. What I really realize is how many little parts these cars have when building from the ground up, and it gets frustrating, especially figuring out the proper order to reinstall, but this forum has helped me immensely, I honestly could not have done it without following all the little things others have done!
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Any recommendations how to attach the throw out bearing clips to the arm? Is there a specific tool? I searched and didn't come up with anything specific, so asking what is the best way to attach. I remember seeing something in another thread, but can't find where that discussion was.

I've also searched the performance/engines/trans pages and found LOTS of threads on throw out bearings, and clips, and safety wires, and opinions, (it's like reading the 'what type of oil to use' threads!), but still not finding anything on how to mount the clips to the back of the shaft. Tried to use some long needle nose, but gave up after about 10 tries as I could barely stretch the rear clip without it popping out of the bearing

Ideas and/or pics always appreciated!
Jeff

NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Back in the day....

I would attach the back side of the clip to the shaft first, then use needle nose to pull the clip out to the bearing.

1963 Bug - Sold in 1980
1966 Karmann Ghia Convertible - Stolen in 1988
1971 Karmann Ghia Convertible, resto/mod COMPLETED 10/2020
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Safety wire is a good idea.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Gents, I'll work on those methods.
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Been a few weeks since I've posted...Life. Anyway, I did get the throwout bearing in place, hooked it around the back then plier'ed the clip into the bearing. took a few times but it worked.

Also, just today I picked up my new interior. Here's the old:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And now the new:
All pieces

Dash pad and knee pads

Closer

Hinge covers

Sun visors..same color as the center of the seats, perforated material

And finally, the wind lace

Haven't installed yet, but it does help me step up completion. Now that I can install the dash and knee pads, i can now get the glove box, hood release, windshield, and all those little things that get delayed waiting to connect all the dash pad bolts.
Getting closer.
Jeff

jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Very impressive interior Jeff! Looks like top quality work.
Not sure how you were re-doing the seats, but if I recall, isn't that your personal handiwork on the dash and knee pads, visors and wind lace?
John
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks John, I wish I was that talented. I did repair the pads where they were cracked or banged up on the bottom side, but all the work was done by the upholstery guy. I took him everything, told him what I would like, rather he asked, and he went to town.

The gray is actually lighter in person, looks a little dark in the pics, but looks nice up against the color.
Jeff

jpajya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

He definitely went to town. It all looks great.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Looks great Jeff. Love the contrast. What a difference! Nice stitching on the dash pad. How did the material form so well over the hinge covers many shapes and curves? The hinge covers look really good!!

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Marc, He used Marine type vinyl which he said has more stretch. So he stretched, heated, glued, tucked, stretched, you get the picture. The hinge covers do really look good. On the dash pad, I was inspired by Darrel's and others with that French stitch/sew, it also matches the dash on my VW Atlas, almost the same color!
Jeff

Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Those seats look good, with a nice contrast, but the dash pad really takes the cake Cool Shocked Great!
You're in the zone where all the steps make noticeable difference towards the final product Wink

Best Regards,
Vlad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thank you Vlad, just trying to catch up to all the awesome examples of Ghia's here!!
Jeff

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Sweet! Cool Marine vinyl... excellent choice, sir Wink Soon you're going to have to spruce up the interior of the Ghiahaus to properly accommodate your gem Smile
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thank you Sir. I agree, I have a little more structural work to do before full and proper decoration. The upholstery guy just happened to have a matching set of 1971 Virginia license plates he tossed to me. They need to be cleaned up and maybe I can re-register them, otherwise they will go up as part of the décor.
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Since getting my interior pieces I have been fitting and refitting. Adding new material adds a little thickness and my upholstery guy made new door panel boards, so I need to do a little extra trimming around where the door pulls fit, a little to tight and can't get them to seat clean. I may try to trim or take them back and have the guy work them a bit so I don't screw it up.

Received my Newton carpet yesterday. They look good and well packed. Took about 5-6 weeks to get them.

Haven't fully unpacked them yet, just took the bag out of the box and took a quick peek.

As others have noted, the quality looks really good. Just the smell brought back memories of working in my dad's upholstery shop when I was a kid. Now if I can just remember how to install the carpets as well as he did back in the day!

Dash pads:

I'm having a bit of a problem with the corners of the bottom pads not fitting tight against the dash, obviously from the additional padding.

left side

Right side

I'm wondering if I should run a screw up through the bottom with a finish washer or use some industrial strength adhesive like Liquid Nails to keep it tighter up against the dash, or just leave it as it is. The gap on the right side is quite prominent and don't really like the way is sags.

Any suggestions? Headed back out to the Ghia Haus to play with it some more!
Thanks,
Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: