Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Oh just tell 74-T to hide back in the corner. We'll take it from here out. Very Happy

All engine work for me this weekend. Just got done w/ my week work. Just gotta sight in a 2nd M14 rifle I built and I am good.

It will be a little work on the motor to reconfigure it to reliable - but it won't be too bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Yes, NSracing can steer you in the right direction-contact him.

Here is more info on the fan shroud and the Jake Raby testing way back when....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144260&start=0

For the record I did not mean to be a Debbie Downer. I just wanted to let you know what you possibly may have on your hands, and to be informed of it so you will make the corrections now and when everything is done you will have something you wanted in the first place!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Is Bernie Bergman still in business? I thought he had gone out waay back..

While not quite GEX, but he had some colorful engines back in the day. And them engines had animal beast names too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
For the record I did not mean to be a Debbie Downer. I just wanted to let you know what you possibly may have on your hands, and to be informed of it so you will make the corrections now and when everything is done you will have something you wanted in the first place!

74Thing, No apologies necessary, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention before I get to the point where it is installed and then I have a failure. I have plenty of time to go through the motor with yours and others' directions to figure out if I will have a problem.

Now, while I have everyone's attention, and to change the topic for a second, another question I had was, how can I measure my front spindles to see if they are dropped or not. I originally had dropped spindles on the car when I took to restoration shop, and just want to confirm they are still in place. At what points do I measure? What would an original measurement be? I can then determine if they are the 2 1/2" spindles I had originally. Thanks

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Yes, I was thinking once you pull the manifold from the head you can see if the head has been ported. I would pull the valve cover as well to see what kind of head. With single springs I would imagine there has been no porting done at all. The 40x35.5 heads I bought from him were not even blended under the valve seats! I had a learning experience as well. Again, spend money on the heads-at the minimum you will probably have to replace those!

Here is a link on the Shroud (do a search or PM some of the people on that thread for a lot more info)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=372579&highlight=porsche+shroud+vanes

Will do, thanks bud. I'll do that this weekend, take pics, and post first thing next week for all to view.

Thanks for the link, I am working my way through all the information and I have reached out to Nick at NSRacing to discuss further. Thanks as always for your advice!

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

If you have HPMX carbs it is probably a set of the earlier ones. (I think there are 4 versions). Search HPMX in the performance forum for fixes that get them to run really well. Good Luck!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
If you have HPMX carbs it is probably a set of the earlier ones. (I think there are 4 versions). Search HPMX in the performance forum for fixes that get them to run really well. Good Luck!!

Correction, they are Weber 44 IDF

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Correction, they are Weber 44 IDF

Best thing you wrote all week Cool
Congrats!!
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Correction, they are Weber 44 IDF[/quote]

Best thing you wrote all week Cool
Congrats!![/quote]

Finally, Some good news to end the week!! Thanks Darrel.

I also had a good chat with Nick at NSRacing, he's gonna have a look at my mess and see what he can do to help. Good to find someone local.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Spent the weekend going through parts and cleaning 46 years of rust, grease, and old paint so everything is good to go come time for reassembly. More to go.

Nick from NSRacing came by my place to have a look at my controversial BB built motor. Talk about a great guy, and very smart! Although his sarcastic snickering at my whining had me on edge, the more he looked at things the more confidence I had. Not all was bad, so the thing isn't a total boat anchor, but some things do need to be done, and Nick was kind enough to let me know he would square it away and have the motor humming. Even though I have to invest more $$$ into it, I feel confident it will run like it should.

That said and as requested by some, here are a few pics of the heads and rockers:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking down into the flow

It appears the motor was at least test run as there was carbon at the intakes and exhaust ports, as well as a little oil at the deep sump nuts. I know that doesn't say much, but someone had to test it at one point...on the bench of course.

In regards to the cooling controversy, after reading through all of the postings on the BB engines, I didn't see any mention of air flow directors, other than the lack thereof. I couldn't get a good pic, but just behind the fan there is another insert that has directional type fans pointed toward each cylinder. Not sure if I got a later model that was redesigned after all the previous complaints, or this has always been there and is what caused the complaints. It is what it is.

Thanks again to Nick for taking a close up look!

Oh yeah, it's built on an AS 41 Case...in case that matters to anyone.

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

The motor has a cast iron-looking flywheel w/ steel ring - that one has to go and replace w/ stock steel vanadium flywheel. Has also a 36mm stock glandnut. It is out of place for something this big.

The oil pump cover has two nipples to use for the oil cooler -probably same idea on the autostick. Not fullflowed in the normal position. For the oil cooler, my idea is to draw from the normal cooler position and bore the shroud for the Earl hoses and grommet.

Single springs on the valves, looks like chomoly retainers, ball swivels. The ball swivels have sworn enemies here on the Samba.

The worst part is having the hydraulics lifters in there -which to change out requires tearing the motor apart. Had they been solid lifters, we will only have to deal w/ the topend.

Have have not porting done or matching manifolds. Other than that seem to be okay.

As I have said before, we will know more once it is apart what it is all about in there.

Beautiful garage, by the way Jeff. Also beautiful 'toys' too! Jeff and I share same interests in the pursuit of precision in 'other' areas of endevour requiring a very well disciplined index finger. Very Happy
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Beautiful garage, by the way Jeff. Also beautiful 'toys' too! Jeff and I share same interests in the pursuit of precision in 'other' areas of endevour requiring a very well disciplined index finger. Very Happy

Yeah thanks again Nick. This last comment may draw some unsavory comments as well!!! Just to be clear, we are talking high caliber precision toys, lest anyone think we are any weirder than everyone else here!!! Locos..

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
...we are talking high caliber precision toys...

Considering y'all's avatars there was never any question Wink
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Oh yeah, that too!!!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with swivels....if they are Porsche. Cool
Congrats on finding help.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I think you are going to have to get some decent heads like I was predicting. Nick will steer you in the right direction-can't go wrong with Tims or CB Performance, but that decision will have to wait until Nick breaks everything down to see what you really have and then decide on a plan (ie cam, compression, heads exhaust, etc...)
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Yeah 74T we did discuss this and exactly as you said, will need to break down first to get a real idea. I'm positive we will come up with a solution. Thanks for your advice and interest in my build. Will update this thread soon.

alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Jeff, i'M interested to know if the deck lid closes with standard hinges & spring as Ive been told it will not when fitting Dual webbers? I really didnt want to fit after market gas struts, but looking at other ghias with dual carbs it seems they all do.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Hi Alan, not sure at this point as I don't have my motor installed. I have seen many Ghia's with dual carbs under the lid, but to be honest, the lids were always up and I never really noticed the hinges. I have seen here on the forum the articles regarding struts, and thought it looked pretty nice, but never noticed anything saying they used them because of clearance issues with dual carbs. Perhaps it's the height of the air cleaners that sit on top, and I have seen lower profile models.

Perhaps someone with actual experience with dual carb Ghia's can chime in here. Thanks for asking.

Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Itīs not the hinges themselves that's is the issue. Itīs the springs. One solution I have seen is to simply modify these by chopping them. Another solution (and probably easier:-) is to use another type of (lower) air filters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 26

Jump to: