Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan67KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

I had problems with the spring hitting the stack on my 48 IDAs with tall manifolds and opted to remove the springs and go with the gas struts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Duncan
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks Duncan, I was wondering if I might need to go that route as well since I have the dual carbs. Can you tell me the length and pound pressure on the struts, and where you ordered them?
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Since a few regulars are checking my page, I wanted to throw these pics up looking to see if anyone can identify this part. Found it in my box of pieces, but have no idea what it is. Posted to the "what part is this" section, but no answers, any help? Looks like some type of cable brace but not sure.

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Since a few regulars are checking my page, I wanted to throw these pics up looking to see if anyone can identify this part. Found it in my box of pieces, but have no idea what it is. Posted to the "what part is this" section, but no answers, any help? Looks like some type of cable brace but not sure.

Looks like the top end of the fuel cap release cable. Smile

https://www.karmannghia.com/Release-Cable-Fuel-Filler-Flap/item/141-809-939
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Duncan67KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Thanks Duncan, I was wondering if I might need to go that route as well since I have the dual carbs. Can you tell me the length and pound pressure on the struts, and where you ordered them?
Jeff

Hi Jeff, I ordered the parts from McMaster-Carr the part numbers are listed below. I initially used the 20lb struts but when we added an aluminum panel to the inside of the lid, I had to upgrade to 30lb struts which work great.

I borrowed the idea from Shrrock in the "How to" section of the stickies, he has great installation instructions. (Sorry I can't figure out how to attach the link)

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:

Looks like the top end of the fuel cap release cable. Smile

https://www.karmannghia.com/Release-Cable-Fuel-Filler-Flap/item/141-809-939

Thank you Mr. John, that looks exactly to be the part that mounts up near the fuel flap for the cable. The knowledge here is outstanding!!!!

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Duncan67KG wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Jeff

Hi Jeff, I ordered the parts from McMaster-Carr the part numbers are listed below. I initially used the 20lb struts but when we added an aluminum panel to the inside of the lid, I had to upgrade to 30lb struts which work great.

I borrowed the idea from "Shorrock" in the "How to" section of the stickies, he has great installation instructions. (Sorry I can't figure out how to attach the link) Moderator edit: Shorrock's Gas Strut Solution

Thank you again Duncan, appreciate you posting the part numbers. I believe that is the same company I was looking at for these parts. No worries about the Strut stickie, I've read through it a couple of times, and will surely read through it again so I can get it right if I go this route. Your ride looks sweet and the engine area is nice and clean.....of course that's probably before you've driven 1000's of miles on it! Thanks again.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

There is also this option for the decklid-remove the springs and add some wire clips to flip up and keep it open.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1808184
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
There is also this option for the decklid-remove the springs and add some wire clips to flip up and keep it open.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1808184

Thank you Sir, I like this idea as well, simple and low profile. Will definitely consider going this route should I have the clearance problem with my springs. So many choices of things, but glad this forum exists to learn from the experiences of others!

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

What happened to the engine?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Fixing stuff

Adding stuff

Trying to identify stuff

Keeping busy getting everything shiny so I can reassemble. Come on Painters, I need my GHIA home!!

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

For those following my build, just got these photos from my painter...looks awesome so far:

The actual color is a dark Burgundy. Since we haven't had sun lately in VA, these were taken inside out of the rain, so the color looks dark.

A few more days to wait for undercoating and attaching all the opening/closing parts, and I should have it back in a couple weeks.....Can't wait!!

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Looking great Jeff!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
For those following my build, just got these photos from my painter...looks awesome so far:
The actual color is a dark Burgundy. Since we haven't had sun lately in VA, these were taken inside out of the rain, so the color looks dark.

dark, ... and shiny as heck!

Looking great so far.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Thanks guys, chomping at the bit to get it home and start to reassemble after 11 years! Trying to go through my mind where to start.

I think soundproofing, Fatmat/Dynamat first, and then running the wiring, that should take me several days and allow me to introduce myself again.

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Received my Headlight Relay and Hard Start Relays made by Jay Brown, advertises in the classified ads, thatvwbusguy. He was very cool to work with and will design the relays with the length of wire you want and the connectors you need at no additional price. Very solid looking and professionally done. You can buy each relay separate, or he has a combination price for both together.

I also received my electronic Fuel Pump Controller from Revolution Electronics. According to their site, this will help regulate the fuel and when connected to the Tach or directly to the coil, will shut off fuel if in an accident or when the motor is not running, a definite safety feature.

Can't wait to install and upgrade my rebuild and bring it up to date electronically.

Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Looks awesome
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Not sure if you have seen these links but some good information here for the engine lid:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
Not sure if you have seen these links but some good information here for the engine lid:

I have and thank you Sir. I have read all the threads and even chatted with those who have gone through the strut installation process and will consider going this route when I get the engine back in, or just the clips that lock in place. Appreciate the links as always.
Jeff

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly Reply with quote

Finally safely home, thinking of where to start, lots of boxes of parts, all clean, separated, and waiting to be put into their proper place.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 26

Jump to: