Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI Seat foam fit?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

I am repairing my front seats and have bought some TMI seat foam under padding. When I removed the old coconut matting they were a very snug fit around the seat frame but the foam seems to be a very loose almost oversized fitting ( and the corners seem to have large empty gaps? Am I fretting over nothing or are my seat foams possibly for another year or model of car ( mine is 1966)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

I did mine like 15 years ago and I just put the TMI foam right over the existing coconut padding. Turned out great, still comfy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

G’day Jason, hadn’t even considered that? Did the seat cover manage to stretch over everything OK, there is a lot of foam!
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

Yeah, no problem fitting it over; the coco mat was pretty flattened out by that point.
To get the seat back material to go down easy I just put a layer of plastic bag over the "shoulders" to help it slide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russelltatedotcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

The foam supplier is asking if my seat frames are original ( maybe they are smaller than they should be?) does anyone have any measurements across the top of the seat springs and even better dim corner to corner. I can then compare to mine?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

they are original, there is no such thing as aftermarket stock ghia seats. they are just trying to make excuses for selling things that don't fit properly

the tmi seat cushion fit horrible, you either have to make the seat bigger with more foam or make the cushion smaller, and re glue an edge on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

I restored my beetle seats this spring, using the foam pads. I hog ringed canvas across the top of the spring assembly and then glued sisal to the canvas. That extra bit of sisal may take up some of that slack. The foam pad went on over the sisal.

Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

a trick I use to effortlessly securing all the rings, clips, and string.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
filmfolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI Seat foam fit? Reply with quote

russelltatedotcom wrote:
The foam supplier is asking if my seat frames are original ( maybe they are smaller than they should be?) does anyone have any measurements across the top of the seat springs and even better dim corner to corner. I can then compare to mine?

Hey. I did my seats a few months back. There are a couple different types of ghia seats. The TMI site has a few different pads. One of them listed looks like a one size fits all

I just put ghia in the search box on the site.

https://www.tmiproducts.com/search/query=Ghia

To ID my seats I had to look at a ton of pictures. There’s not a lot of measurements I could find. A few but…
Mine is a 70 but there were two types of seats 70-74
You do want to use the sisal cloth but it doesn’t take up that much space. Yea it’s a bit big compared to what I remember doing mine. The foam is also meant to wraps down a bit over the metal edge. On my seats it’s a droopy lip thing not the older square box seat style.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: