Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

If I recall Gary threw an estimate range of 1500-10,000.

That was Steve. I said I could do the repairs for $750.

The OP asked for estimates over the computer using pictures.

Can you provide the OP a written guaranteed estimate that you can repair the bus for $750? Please do.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

dirt4dinner wrote:
Howdy! I came across something today at the local auction yard that caught my attention. I own a classic mini and have always liked the VW buses, but this might be a bit more than I can handle.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this little green guy?

Is this worth salvaging, it appears that all of the damage was contained to the engine bay. The paint didn't even look damaged on the outside of the engine bay door. So let's assume that everything in that engine bay is toast.

Your best bet is to assume that the engine is junk, not just because of the fire but just because it is an old vehicle at an auction, and most Baywindows on the road are under-maintained. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst type thing.
As others have said it's could cost between $1000 - $10000 to get it back on the road, you don't know the condition of the transmission, front end or brakes either so those could be on the repair list. If you can do the work yourself it could be a fun project. Good luck

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

BryanM wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Can you provide the OP a written guaranteed estimate that you can repair the bus for $750? Please do.

You misunderstood what I was telling the OP. This estimate of $750 was only for parts and materials. It assumes that the OP does the labor.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

For Fook sake, I cannot belive the whiny shyte being thrown around here about a hypothetical auction. If the bus is not a bondowagen and it goes for a few thousand at auction, it can be back on the road for a reasonable cost to the new owner, if they have any skills at it.
Even if the engine is complete crap, they can toss in a cheap rebuild and flip it to the east coast after driving it for a season and no one will know the difference.
Of course, now with this tempest in a tin cup here, the likely hood of that is less.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

BryanM wrote:
aeromech wrote:

estimate- you keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
tolstoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

Pull the engine. Strip everything you can off it. Send the long block to Headflow Masters as a core and buy a rebuilt 2000cc with new heads, that will run you about $3000, but you'll have a great engine. If you can salvage the FI, do it. You could be anywhere between $300 to $1000 get the FI up. Have the cooling tins sandblasted and powder coated. Make sure it is all there including thermostat and flaps, prob around $400 or so to get that all sorted. If the FI is toast, there is nothing wrong with putting a set of Weber 40idf's on there. About $800 for carbs and linkage.....order them from Aircooled.net and pay the extra to have them jet and setup the carbs for your engine. While the engine is out, remove the gas tank and have it cleaned out. Replace all the fuel lines, including the filler neck and all the vent lined, use Gates Barricade line wherever you can. If all the brakes need refreshed, about $800 would buy all the parts including new soft lines, rear shoes and cylinders, new front pads and rebuilt calipers, master cylinder and various hardware.

Tolstoy
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

Worst thing about that bus is the color!

Looks really solid from an east coaster's perspective! Heck, I can do an engine..
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

Back around 1987 I was driving home from work at 2am in my 1971 bus. The engine sputtered and I thought maybe it was burned points. Then the gas pedal went to the floor. The glow in my mirror told me I had an engine fire. I coasted to a stop and confirmed the worst. No wait, the worst was finding out that my fire extinguisher was flat. I started seeing my coworkers stopping until one showed up and had a good extinguisher. I put the fire out.

Once I got towed home I was able to see the damage. It wasn't that bad. New ceiling panels and a couple hundred bucks in parts. I was back on the road. Engine fires don't always mean that it's terrible. I'm here to tell you that this ugly green bus could be repaired and it wouldn't require major engine work. That's it. I'm done here so go and do whatever you want. I don't care.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rickman74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

Here's a thought; why didn't the original owner fix the damage? Maybe they were happy to be rid of a big problem. If I had an engine fire like that, I would take the insurance money, fix it myself and put it back on the road.
tolstoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

I was posting what I posted as a worse case scenario. It doesn't look like the fire was too bad, could just be what aeromech said. I'm talking the unknown. What if the engine was a POS and the fire just put it out of its misery? I to had an engine fire in a Mustang several years ago. New plug wires, cap, air filter, belts and heat shield and I was on my way.

Tolstoy
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

$10k for the engine? Seems a bit far fetched IMO. OP wasn't looking for a HAM/Raby special.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:
$10k for the engine? Seems a bit far fetched IMO. OP wasn't looking for a HAM/Raby special.

That's about 1/3 of a Raby
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

rickman74 wrote:
Here's a thought; why didn't the original owner fix the damage? Maybe they were happy to be rid of a big problem. If I had an engine fire like that, I would take the insurance money, fix it myself and put it back on the road.

People unfamiliar with engines like the insurance check instead of the
project, also, the VW engine wiring harness is simple compared to modern
automotive layouts, so many write the bus off when it isn't a "total loss" by
any means. Then there's the insurance industry unspoken agenda of
getting every vehicle more than seven years old/more than 60,000 miles
scrapped-gotta funnel people through the car dealerships...
dirt4dinner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

rickman74 wrote:

It was an insurance right off, so I suppose that's why.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

CarlosZ wrote:

You should probably look into what it cost for a quality built 2L type 4.
What shape is the case in? The heads? the pistons and Cylinders?
What about the condition of all the existing or missing cooling tin, new parts like an oil cooler, clutch rubber and hoses. What shape are the exhaust and heater boxes in?
How much of the existing FI is usable? How much does a complete, properly functioning FI system cost?
Would the owner want to reuse the burnt rusty components as is or have them blasted and painted/powder coated?
Now what about the labor to do all this, the labor to clean the engine compartment, repair fire damage to the wire harness?
How much should all of this cost?

It is easy to get to 10K. If the OP wants to do the work themselves then they will obviously save a ton of money.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

Reading the overbearing and caustic comments in this thread by a couple folks who have called others full of BS leads me to understand why the next thread down in the forum right now is "TCash" "Did he leave because he got tired of caustic comments and attacks."

Bryan - this was not because of your post right above this.

If Gary thinks he can fix it for $750, maybe he can. That said, maybe this guy got tired of engine and other problems, rolled it onto the street, tossed gasoline, and a match on it, then collected insurance to get his money out of it. No one knows except the guy who owned it and he hasn't commented here unless he is one of you hoping to get a better price at the auction for the salvage rights he took on it. I was in finance enough years to know people actually do that kind of thing. Fires also happen accidentally to nice cars. I set a fire once by simply dropping a socket in the wrong place - bridged a fuel line to a starter wire for just a split second but enough to melt a hole in the metal fuel line and ignite the gasoline that spilled out. Fortunately a good fire bottle was only a foot away so the damage was really minor.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

From the pictures I've seen I still say that the owner loved this bus. The reason it's up for auction might never be known because the original owner is now out of the picture. One possibility is that a towing company may have racked up a very high storage bill. Maybe the owner was military and had to report before he could deal with this? Maybe he died in the fire? Just kidding about that but the point is we can only look at the pictures and speculate. That bus would be a great project for me. I'll bet I could flip it in about 2 months and make over $5k profit. I just worked on a $9k bus last night, sorry no pictures, but these vehicles are drawing high prices right now.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

if it has a salvage title from the write off would it be an issue to re license for the road?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
if it has a salvage title from the write off would it be an issue to re license for the road?

Nope

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=salvage+title
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fire damaged engine bay? Found at local auction Reply with quote

Salvage titles are no big deal, my bus currently has a Salvage title from the previous owner's little accident. Will just go get it re-inspected this spring once the body work is finished.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: