Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another 40HP 1385 build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

Have decided on a FK41 cam and 1.25 rockers, Engle lifters, single HD springs...

hopefully the crank is in good shape and I wont need to rebuild that as well. Still keeping it under the $600. Haven't factored in any machine shop costs...hopefully none is needed and if so hopefully they wont break the bank.

Thoughts?

I'll continue to update this post with pics and current status.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

I've used both the 100 and C25. I really like the Engle 100 and it runs well with a stock carb.

I'd crank up the compression to 8.5:1 or so. I built a similar combo for a local Baja and it was crackin' little motor.
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

You need to stay really mild with the cam timing with such small heads and intake. I think the CB2280 "cheater cam" would be best. The Engle W100 would be max for that engine combo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

All parts just arrived. WOOHOO. Going to get my garage cleaned up and ready for the job!
bug_65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

with the extra lift of the cam be careful that your spring retainers dont bottom out on the valve boss. I had this problem which caused some grieve.

I m current running 1385 with engle 100 and 1.25.1 solid rockers, but only standard 1600 springs and appears to be ok for the past 4 years.

By the way dont listen to the bone heads saying put a 1600dp in. blah blah.
Something to be said that the little 40hp 1385 is more interesting.
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: another 40HP 1385 build Reply with quote

as with most projects, life got in the way....work, kids sports, etc. However some quick updates. All parts for this are in - which is good so I am not really waiting for anything. I have cleaned up and set up a dedicated space in my garage...so really its finding available time. I am finishing up a rear brake job / transmission flush and since the weather is starting to get really nice I may drive it as is for a while. Goal is to finish the engine before I go to OBX this August. Wanted to tow the Buggy down there and have some fun at the beach. I'll be sure to continue to update this thread in three parts, 1) tear down and inspection, 2) Clean up, rebuild 3) test and tune
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: