Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Smitty's smoothies custom wheels - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: jimpoydock
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: June 06, 2019
Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels - [email protected] Reply with quote

I found Smitty's on Facebook. He does custom wheels from 15" to 24" and specialize in VW stock wheels. I was wondering if anyone here has heard about him or dealt with them?

Here is the FB link. https://www.facebook.com/Smittys-Smoothies-816094871760771/

71' Super beetle - prostreet trans 4.10 gear, 1641cc with dual 40 IDFs, W110, and a 1-1/2qt deep oil pan.
Needs: cage, seats, harnesses, better suspension, new wheels, and rear disc brakes.

Almost there....
heyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

Never bought his wheels ..but he builds nice stuff...I've seen them on cars and there beautiful...he's doing a 4 lug smoothie....his prices are not crazy...he's got 2 pair of 4 lugs wheels for sale in the carolinavdub page on Facebook for 400
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

That's good to know.

He quoted me $575 for 15x6 and 15x7 for the 4. $675 for 16x6 and 16x7. stock offset. 4 lug too.

I know I need wider fenders but I've been researching those too.

71' Super beetle - prostreet trans 4.10 gear, 1641cc with dual 40 IDFs, W110, and a 1-1/2qt deep oil pan.
Needs: cage, seats, harnesses, better suspension, new wheels, and rear disc brakes.

Almost there....
heyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

[quote="Boosten Ya(Josh)"]That's good to know.

He quoted me $575 for 15x6 and 15x7 for the 4. $675 for 16x6 and 16x7. stock offset. 4 lug too.

I know I need wider fenders but I've been researching those too.[/quote

15x7 should tuck under fenders depending on rim offset and tire...16x7'im not sure..the wheels on Facebook are demo rims from SEMA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jclark62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

The rear wheels on my car are from him. They are a nice set of steelies, especially for the money. And ask him about the offset and width, he may have some insight into that Very Happy
heyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

Jclark62 , your bug is super nice !!! What size rear rim and tire and front and rear suspension set up ?
jclark62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

heyman3000 wrote:
Jclark62 , your bug is super nice !!! What size rear rim and tire and front and rear suspension set up ?

Thank you! The rear wheel is a 15x6, not sure of offset, and the tires are 195/65 radial. For suspension its lowered two splines in the rear and and adjustable beam in the front. This setup also has plenty of space in between the rear fender and tire.
Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

jclark62 wrote:
The rear wheels on my car are from him. They are a nice set of steelies, especially for the money. And ask him about the offset and width, he may have some insight into that Very Happy

Awesome thank you and everyone else. I'm excited the he also can powder coat them just get it done at once. Do the stock hub caps fit the smoothies?

I asked him for stock off set but I'll try to call him today and see what would work best.

Edit: I looked at your pics and I see that the hub caps do fit lol

Almost there....
jclark62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

Boosten Ya(Josh) wrote:
jclark62 wrote:

Awesome thank you and everyone else. I'm excited the he also can powder coat them just get it done at once. Do the stock hub caps fit the smoothies?

I asked him for stock off set but I'll try to call him today and see what would work best.

Edit: I looked at your pics and I see that the hub caps do fit lol

Yes, but you need to order clips. I can't remember where I got mine from but one set didn't work but another set from a different vendor did.
Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

Awesome thank you. Might just order everything from smitty's and call the wheels done.

Almost there....
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

Josh check this place out and it's local. Been around for nearly 40 years in the LA south bay.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=311559

Hope this helps, Bill.
Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Josh check this place out and it's local. Been around for nearly 40 years in the LA south bay.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=311559

Hope this helps, Bill.

Awesome thank you Bill. I'll give them a call.

Almost there....
stallion777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of his wheels last week. Nice guy and he ask a lot of questions such as front narrowed or stock beam, your tire sizes you plan to add. I like that. From the pics I've seen they look good. I should be getting them soon. They are (4) 15x6 with hubcap clips and powder coated bright white. Total shipped to me was $600. I'm happy with that price. I look forward to them coming in.
stallion777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

My wheels came in. They look good and I cannot wait ti see them mounted. I was a little worried at first because the hubcap clips were missing but they were in another box.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

Awesome. I cant wait to see them mounted also.

I think I'm going to go 16x6 front and 16x7.5 rear

Almost there....
Boosten Ya(Josh)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

stallion777 wrote:
My wheels came in. They look good and I cannot wait ti see them mounted. I was a little worried at first because the hubcap clips were missing but they were in another box.

Did Smitty's provide the tool to remove the hubcaps without damaging the chrome or powder coat?

Almost there....
stallion777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

I ordered 4 15x6 for my 1963 Herbie replica. I just bought tires. 195/60 in front and 215/60 in rear. They will be mounted soon. I will post pics. The hubcap pullers were not included. I bought 2 on ebay for 15 bucks.
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

stallion777 wrote:
I ordered 4 15x6 for my 1963 Herbie replica. I just bought tires. 195/60 in front and 215/60 in rear. They will be mounted soon. I will post pics. The hubcap pullers were not included. I bought 2 on ebay for 15 bucks.

Please post pictures! I am running 2" narrowed adjustable front beam (raised up), 2.5" drops spindles, and adjustable springplate in the rear (Dropped 1.1" or 1 spline)

I am looking at 15x6" for the rears and was thinking about getting 205/65R15 but if your 215's fit then I can go to the size. I am planning on running 185/60R15 up front.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

103 pages of tire/wheel/suspension pictures & info below, so you can make up your mind what to buy! I just buy pairs of used tires if I'm not sure & run them until they wear out in a couple years? I have good used 185X60X15 Firestone & 205X70X15 Michelin on 5.5X15 Fuchs 2.0 liter wheels now. Lowered 2 & 1 splines.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247735

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LandalftheGray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Smitty's smoothies custom wheels Reply with quote

Those are some beautiful wheels! I just sent him a message about possibly doing a set in 15"x6" in 5x130.

Anyone else have any experience with him?
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: