Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replace Front Right Quarter Panel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Hi Dubbers!
I have a 68 beetle with an incorrect right hand front quarter panel. It does not have the finger hole on the fuel flap.I am restoring it to period correct details (for Australia that is!).

I have a donor part but am wondering if it is better to replace the whole panel or just cut out a section around the fuel flap? I'm worried about distortion if I cut it and weld in and how to clean up the welds from the inside of the body. And how much of a section would I cut for a donor part?

If I were to remove the whole quarter panel, does anyone have some photos or method to do so? I've searched Samba but cannot find something. I'm sure it must be embedded in some of those long restoration threads.I assume that there are lots of spot welds to drill out and I guess there will be that seam near the door to attend to.

I know it is a bit anal to want to do it properly, but just need some guidance from someone who may have done it before.

Thanks in advance from Oz!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

A bit anal? Yep. Laughing Only person that will know about it is probably you, but if you are willing to go through all that work to please yourself, then have at it. Replacing the entire right front quarter panel would be a ton of work. I myself would cut out as little as possible just to replace that dimple. JMO. And make sure you remove the gas tank to do that job.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

I think if it were me, I would try to form the finger hole in the panel that is on the car first. And if it fails, then replace the panel.
If you slice the sheet metal vertically right at the corner where the finger hole would be and a horizontally almost as long as the finger hole would advance toward the passenger door hinge, you would be able to form the basic outline of the finger hole with a hammer and dolly or a male and female die squeezed together with a big c-clamp.
Remove a radius section from the area where the sheet metal dips in to form the outline of the fuel filler flap that would again match the finger hole.

Fill in the gaps with small sections of sheet metal and putty.

Just a thought.....

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
A bit anal? Yep. Laughing Only person that will know about it is probably you, but if you are willing to go through all that work to please yourself, then have at it. Replacing the entire right front quarter panel would be a ton of work. I myself would cut out as little as possible just to replace that dimple. JMO. And make sure you remove the gas tank to do that job.

X2
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I neglected to add that the body is off and I am doing a full restoration so want it correct.

It's my late father's car and the one I learned to drive on 46 years ago.

Hence being anal.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Just to help others searching for this, I found these links from another thread in an earlier model forum. Should be relatively similar for later model ones especially a '68.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512291
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459539
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

So, was the front quarter panel replaced with an incorrect one sometime in the past?

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Yes it appears so. Must have been accident damage and the wrong panel was used.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

So when they installed this later quarter they also installed the incorrect cable and mount under the dash? Before you go cutting, check your VIN. Make sure it's 118 and not 119. Some folks believe they have earlier cars because they have post August build dates. It may have been mis-titled. A '68 should also have a swing axel instead of IRS (except if it was an auto stick). This is also from a US perspective, things may be different in Australia. It just seems to have gone through a bit more work to fix some earlier quarter damage. Then again this may have happened in the mid '70's when the fuel crisis spawned a lot of fuel thefts and grandpa felt this was a worthwhile upgrade.

-jeffrey
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

It's definitely a 118.
Australian cars in 68 were different to the US models.
Low back seats, swing axles, no padded dash, but we got disc brakes.
Inside arm rests with the chrome trim like your 58-67 and of course RHD.
There's always conjecture about where they were made. Mine I believe is a fully imported car although many were made from CKD kits and assembled locally.

I think our cars were "bitzers" made up of left over parts when VW went from the 67 to 68 models.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Viiking

I also have an Australian delivered 1968 1500 Beetle. Mine is one of the early German manufactured cars before they went local CKD assembly.

As you will be aware the fuel flap should be an over centre opening unit with the finger notch not the cable release spring loaded flap of later models without the finger notch.

I think before you launch into replacing the panel you should evaluate why you want to fix the problem.
1) Can you not open the flap by hand. If you can leave it.
2) Make the car original - for what reason - its unlikely to increase its value.

To fix the incorrect panel is a lot of work which may result in many other issues which you can't envisage now. If it works now and looks OK I would advise leaving it alone. If the car was a high value item I would fix it, but it isn't and it won't change how the vehicle looks or drives.

I'm not one to scrimp on rebuilding of cars and have spent huge sums of money doing so on many vehicles. One thing I have learn't is know when to call it a day and don't fix a problem that does not really need fixing.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

The car is worth ten billion dollars.
It's the only thing left I have left of my father. He came to this country with nothing and I know how much he struggled to buy this car.

It's the car I learned to drive on. It's the car I took my wife of 45 years on our first date so yeah, I want to fix it right.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Viiking

I understand where you are coming from. I have spend over AU$40,000 on my Beetle to date and there are many more dollars to go.

I am a perfectionist myself and understand the emotional context of your rebuild - my situation is similar.

I wish you well on your rebuild.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Understand about making it right. If it makes it easier to live with, another way to look at it is, this repair is part of the car's history. Did your father repair the car?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Understand about making it right. If it makes it easier to live with, another way to look at it is, this repair is part of the car's history. Did your father repair the car?

I would actually agree with the above, from the standpoint of the history of the car with your dad's ownership. That said, try to form the indentation first if you can, then I would take into consideration the previous repair, is it nice otherwise? If so, then just replacing the gas filler area would be preferable to the entire quarter, just take your time and cool the welds as you go.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Maybe a dumb question but, is the finger indentation in the quarter panel or does the door have a small raised lip the width of your finger on it?

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Danpa wrote:
Maybe a dumb question but, is the finger indentation in the quarter panel or does the door have a small raised lip the width of your finger on it?

Dan

The indentation is in the panel.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Why not just take a hammer and dollies and some heat, and form it in?
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

I guess it looks like this;

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Although this appears to be on a 73 or later super.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replace Front Right Quarter Panel Reply with quote

Here's a pretty relevant link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512291

Good luck with it.

viiking wrote:
Hi Dubbers!
I have a 68 beetle with an incorrect right hand front quarter panel. It does not have the finger hole on the fuel flap.I am restoring it to period correct details (for Australia that is!).

I have a donor part but am wondering if it is better to replace the whole panel or just cut out a section around the fuel flap? I'm worried about distortion if I cut it and weld in and how to clean up the welds from the inside of the body. And how much of a section would I cut for a donor part?

If I were to remove the whole quarter panel, does anyone have some photos or method to do so? I've searched Samba but cannot find something. I'm sure it must be embedded in some of those long restoration threads.I assume that there are lots of spot welds to drill out and I guess there will be that seam near the door to attend to.

I know it is a bit anal to want to do it properly, but just need some guidance from someone who may have done it before.

Thanks in advance from Oz!

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: