Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

There is no definitive lowering thread so post your advice here on what to do so people stop asking! Smile

One short thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48586

Nice post on page 11 of this thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3972465#3972465

Thanks.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WharfRat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to get this started off right, how much do you have to lower a front end to compensate for the height loss from removing the reduction gear boxes?
how much can you lower a bus before you have to install a narrowed beam?
what would be the procedure, john muir style, for putting a mild drop on a bus? nothing too extreme, but just a shade lower than stock?
66split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear Swing Axle;for a good description of parts for a swing axle conversion please head over to www.bus-boys.com then click on the "suspension conversion " header, there they have their lowering kits. If you click on "swing axle" then go to the fact sheet it tells you everything you need to know about lowering and converting to a swing axle and all the parts they recommend.

Rear IRS;
For a good description of lowering via IRS check out www.23window.com he has a great list of parts and info as well.

Front suspension:
For the front you can go with "Drop spindles" for anywhere from a 2.5 inch to 7inch drop or you can buy an adjustable beam OR you can do both for a more comfortable ride.

People that sell beams and spindles (that I know of) in the USA;

Wolfgang
Nate
Rizzag
Camerod
Franklins
Bus Boys

People that do the rears;
Wolfgang
BusBoys
Franklins
Camerod
Bus Boys

If you do not recognize the names above, please do a search. There are probably more out there, feel free to add them. There are also quite a few companies in Australia and the UK that do the same thing. There is also a good book called "How to modify bus suspension and Brakes" (or similar) by James Hale. (check amazon)

L8r

Last edited by 66split on Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eh0s
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: narrowing and some requests Reply with quote

The best tutorial I've seen on narrowing a beam...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64301

Also, in the interest of keeping this thread on topic, can people simply edit their posts instead of getting off-topic? Or if you have new information, just add it to an old post you have. I plan to add more to this post when I get more info.

Specifically (if someone has links or good info on):

BD lowering ? Pre-63 spindles will slide right in, but the tie rod will be mounted to a different position, anyone done this?? Also a bug rear end is the perfect fit, again, anyone do this? Smile

Straight axle conversion (parts/how to?)
Any other lowering how to's ? Maybe even a simple one for installing spindles/beams?
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome tutorial for making your own straight axle kit.

Here
23isthenumber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i am putting a axle kit on the back of my 63 panel. i am also going to lower the front. here is the thing...... the guy who is helping me (im a newbe) says i can lower the front by flipping the king pins or somethin like that. does this really work? or is he full of it. he says this really works and he has done it plenty of times befor. if so will it still be as low as the back? sounds to good to be true. thanks alot guys!
23window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WharfRat wrote:
what would be the procedure, john muir style, for putting a mild drop on a bus? nothing too extreme, but just a shade lower than stock?

I put IRS in the back and dropped it one notch on the springplates. I also put Bus-boys adjusters in the front and adjusted them one notch lower than stock. My bus is a little lower by about 1.5". Its alot of work and $ for little lowering it provides, but I did it to stay "almost stock" and get rid of the redux boxes.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll shamelessly plug myself again. Here is a website I kicked up after narrowing my front needle bearing beam 4" plating the shock towers:

http://www.geocities.com/iltis74/bus_beam_narrowing.html

As far as flipping the king pins yes they are called dropped spindles and when you throw some adjusters on the beam at the same time you've just dropped the front in possably the best method out there. A press and a welder are all you need. Any good sites with pictures on dropped spindles?
PRIMER-LOOK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oke andrew this http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/forum/viewthread.p...;aid=11375

is indeed a nice site ....BUT what they dont mention is how to rework your springplates , yes they say get the beetle pattern but you will see wen you install the springplates and try to get your wheels set up straight you will have NO suspension travel left (plate hits upper stop).

So dont forget to notch your springplates .............btw who has info on notching spring plates pics pics pics.

dennis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primer-Look in Andrew's post that link shows you what your spring plates should look like.

On the lowering topic:

If I want to raise the rear slightly after installing a straight axle set-up. If I were to Raise it one inner spline and lower it 1 outer spline it should raise it only about 3/16" right?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Billet_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post up the tech on howto narrow the rear torsion housing and an inches to inner/outter notch ratio for the rear also.

Thanks

CTD Fabrication
Sy Kipp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm new to the split screen scene. I bought a 62' Kombi and it needs alot of work. I have 2 bay garage a mig machine and a spare motor and that's about it. I've been surfing the Samba for about 2 years then I finally acquired this bus. I'm buying another transaxle to do the lowering in the rear as per the tutorial that Andrew posted on Friday. I read and gather as much info as I can before I attempt anything of this magnitude. If any of you could enlighten me as to some basics in body changes or dimensions in the 60's like the wide rear door in 64" I would be grateful...

1959 SC
pimpsome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought my 67 with a busboys adjustable beam already in it and its so nice to beable to raise it up an inch when ya want to

to bad its going up for sale later this month
23isthenumber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have heard about removing torsion slats in front to drop the front end. is this possible on a 63? is this like removing leaves? thanks alot!
rene p. l.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bests ways to go for the rear are creative engineering irs kit, but you can buy parts from a 68 bay bus. For the front, Red 9 desing look great. That's the way i will do on mine ... Smile Did somebody do those conversions???

www.red9design.co.uk
www.creative-engineering.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23isthenumber wrote:
i have heard about removing torsion slats in front to drop the front end. is this possible on a 63? is this like removing leaves? thanks alot!

It's possible - but don't do it. I have a 61 panel that the PO did this on - it rides horrible! I'll be correcting it soon. It's not safe - the springs are in there for a reason. Adjustable or drop spindels -that's the only way(s) to go.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: IRS rear Reply with quote

I've got the CE rear IRS with Kruiznwagen (Sp?) from Australia adjustable control arms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustable control arms? For the front or Rear?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're for the rear. They have a ecentric (right word? off center hole in the bushing) that adjust camber and toe end some.
Daniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also using the Kruizinwagon IRS kit, and will soon have their adjustable springplates fitted as well. It's a very good quality product.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 100

Jump to: