Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Anyone know anything about this air suspension kit or have installed it?

http://www.x2industries.com/volkswagen-1955-1969-v...JN5Y_krKUk

Pros and cons, if you could help. Looking up "X2" in the search literally racked my brain from all the uses as "ditto" haha. Cheers.

[/url]

I suspect that this may be a universal fit kit, that doesn't fit universally. Expect a good bit of fabrication to make it all work and fit properly.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
Anyone know anything about this air suspension kit or have installed it?

http://www.x2industries.com/volkswagen-1955-1969-v...JN5Y_krKUk

Pros and cons, if you could help. Looking up "X2" in the search literally racked my brain from all the uses as "ditto" haha. Cheers.

[/url]

I suspect that this may be a universal fit kit, that doesn't fit universally. Expect a good bit of fabrication to make it all work and fit properly.

I always figure something like that...it's for my father's DC, not mine: I'm trying to help him move further from stock, as I cringe in the background...

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
55vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Can someone talk about ride quality after lowering? My DC has a narrowed beam, drop spindles and straight rear axle installed. It was slammed and rode terrible. I had it lifted approx 3" hoping it resolve the issue of being "all over the road" but it didn't. The front lowered shocks were replaced with stock length shocks.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

55vert wrote:
Can someone talk about ride quality after lowering? My DC has a narrowed beam, drop spindles and straight rear axle installed. It was slammed and rode terrible. I had it lifted approx 3" hoping it resolve the issue of being "all over the road" but it didn't. The front lowered shocks were replaced with stock length shocks.

Have you had it aligned? Is there excessive steering wheel play?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
mandraks wrote:
[...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1901740

Except the one you link is a hydraulic lowering kit. And it functions in a completely different way. The one the OP linked to is basically adjustable air shocks.

yeah, that was my point

not airride, and stock suspension at any ride height

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

55vert wrote:

If you're talking poor handling, lowering done right shouldn't affect it. Problems occur with worn components, poor alignment / link pin adjustment and lack of lubrication. Other issues may be worn rear torsion bar bushings and rear alignment. Most narrowed beams won't have a sway bar which will increase body roll.
If you're talking ride quality, most lowered busses have wider, lower profile tires. Short, stiff sidewalls plus stiff gas shocks can give a harsher ride.
I'm ok with the firmer ride on my lowered busses, and having gone through all the mechanicals mentioned, I have no problem with them going straight down the road.

Last edited by Krustybus on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

55vert wrote:

A sway bar in the front would make a noticeable difference, but I don't know of anyone that makes one for a narrowed beam.
55vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

All components have been replaced but it has not been aligned as of yet. It is a 4" narrowed beam not 2", as I thought. Tires are new 185/60/15 and pressures are correct, front and rear.
I'm talking about literally, "driving like a bus" as in school. I'll get it aligned and report back.
Thanks for the replies!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

55vert wrote:
All components have been replaced but it has not been aligned as of yet. It is a 4" narrowed beam not 2", as I thought. Tires are new 185/60/15 and pressures are correct, front and rear.
I'm talking about literally, "driving like a bus" as in school. I'll get it aligned and report back.
Thanks for the replies!

If a good, proper alignment doesn't fix the poor handling habits, then there is something else wrong. A properly built and adjusted lowered bus should handle just fine.
BATComm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Question, getting ready to start an IRS conversion... does anyone know the amount (measurement) of material that needs to be machined off of my stock drum snouts to use them with the IRS...I have a 66 Split.

Thank you!!!

1965 Beetle, 1966 13 window deluxe walk thru (SOLD) 84 Rabbit 16V Swap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

You can't use your stock drums with a bug IRS. The only bus drums that would work are small nut drums. Type 3 5 lug drums will work. And they are wider Bug drum brakes.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sandtrooper747
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

How do you remedy The break travel issue once you raised your steering box? My brake lever keeps bottoming out on the box.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Notch and reinforce the pedal. Or buy this:

http://www.hayburner.co.uk/shop/Product/584/NEW%20Swooped%20brake%20pedal.
55vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
55vert wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

If a good, proper alignment doesn't fix the poor handling habits, then there is something else wrong. A properly built and adjusted lowered bus should handle just fine.

Come to find out that we can't align it due to the fact that who ever built the lowered rear spring plates was off and the camber can't be adjusted. Approx 1" off on the right rear, truck tends to pull right and "jump" right. Not sure if this can be corrected, without the purchase of new spring plates, with adjusters.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

55vert wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
55vert wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

Come to find out that we can't align it due to the fact that who ever built the lowered rear spring plates was off and the camber can't be adjusted. Approx 1" off on the right rear, truck tends to pull right and "jump" right. Not sure if this can be corrected, without the purchase of new spring plates, with adjusters.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Camber is constantly changing with suspension movement, so I am guessing you mean toe-in. Not sure how your spring plates could be different by 1" between sides, but I suppose it is possible. Is something bent on your bus? We might need to see some good clear underside photos.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

All this long and short stuff is making me dizzy...

just to make sure.

If i am to lower the back using straight axle, will this combo work?

Bug '64 transmission

and either one of these ;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1265108
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2017791

Goal is to use 5x205 drum, whichever drums i'll need to find after i get everything figured out.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

It would be easier to start with a kit, as it comes with specific instructions for the included parts, and you're going to need the boots and seals and E-brake adapters at some point.

Instructions for Bus Boy's kit:
http://www.bus-boys.com/fact2.htm

http://www.bus-boys.com/
Quote:
Part No. Description Price

210-51011 Swing Axle Conversion, March 1955 to 1967 $391.15

210-51011A Swing Axle Conversion with Adjustable Spring Plates, March 1955 to 1967 $504.50

Wolfgang sells about the same thing, for less:
https://www.wolfgangint.com/store/product/straight-swing-axle-conversion-2501101/

I've had my Bus Boy's kit since '89, the instructions provided by them were worse back then (photocopied pictures in b&w), but there is no way I could have got this all figured out otherwise. This details the axle bearing covers and the brake/axle/drum, differences - http://www.bus-boys.com/fact2.htm
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
All this long and short stuff is making me dizzy...

just to make sure.

If i am to lower the back using straight axle, will this combo work?

Bug '64 transmission

and either one of these ;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1265108
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2017791

Goal is to use 5x205 drum, whichever drums i'll need to find after i get everything figured out.

The first ad has the long axle/long spline combo AXLE that you need, but depending on what springplates you buy/make/use you might not want those axle tubes. The second ad has what appears to be long axle/short spline combo AXLE, which isn't what you want.

68 type 1, and all swing axle type 3 have long axle/long spline axles. If you use the axle tubes with the long end casting, you want springplates with the offset built in, like these... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1385955

Many options available for brakes. Give the seller of those springplates a call or email. He can tell you exactly what you need.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
It would be easier to start with a kit, as it comes with specific instructions for the included parts, and you're going to need the boots and seals and E-brake adapters at some point.

Problem with kits (especially those including transmission) is the shipping to Canada.

My original idea was to go with a kit, but when i saw a '64 beetle' rebuilt transmission for sale locally for 650$, i started wondering if that wouldnt be cheaper.

Already know i can get brakes and random bits from Vintage Warehouse.

Might just let that tranny pass, go for a whole kit and quit with the headache of figuring what is needed with what to get it done.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Soo I'm nearly really to put the straight axle kit in. I've heard alot of inner and outer spline, and i'm really trying to understand what that means.

I removed everything, and am getting ready to put everything back in.

The torsion bar are out. When people talk about inner and outer spline, do they means moving a teeth on the inner part, or on the outer part? I didnt count the teeth, but it would make sense if there was different number of teeth on both ends.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 87, 88, 89 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 88 of 100

Jump to: