Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

The inner and outer will refer to the splines that are on the torsion bar, not to sound rude, but its the long round rod with splines on the ends. Just trying to be clear to avoid confusion.

The splines are different spacing and can only go in one way. The inners are toward the center of the bus and the outers and the ones closest to you that go into the spring plate. Someone correct me if i am wrong here, but you get bigger adjustments on the outers and fine tune with the inners. But either way you get a different degrees and minutes of rotation out of the inner splines versus the outer ones to get the spring plates exactly where you want them.

The best way is to get your bus level before you start putting anything back on it, if you need to put front and rear up on jack stands its worth the effort. Put the torsion bar into the inner splines, just get them in there don't over think this step. Now put the spring plate on so it looks about where you want your angle of your axel to be, just get it as close as you can. take a magnetic angle finder and figure out the angle of the spring plate in relation to the level bus, write this measurement down. Duplicate this on the other side.

Button up the torsion bar end cap and sit the bus on the ground. Roll it back and forth get friends or kids to sit in the back to get some weight back there to help see how she is going to sit. If its where you want it check side to side level to make sure it doesn't sag on one side and job done. If not jack it back up and get it level and figure out if you need to raise or lower it. Once its level you are back to where you were and can make adjustments based on you angle you got earlier. There are plenty of references on here to figure out how much one inner spline gives you and how much one out spline gives you as far as adjustments go. Or do what I do, just pull the spring plate off enough to clear the splines and make the adjustment with the angle finder attached. match it up on the other side and check it on the ground again.

Be patient and you can get it sitting just they way you want it.

Hope this helps and didn't muddle things up worse.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
The inner and outer will refer to the splines that are on the torsion bar, not to sound rude, but its the long round rod with splines on the ends. Just trying to be clear to avoid confusion.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

its okay, in my limited english, spline didnt mean anything. When i took the torsion bar out, it was like enlightment, and i just wanted to make sure i understood correctly everything.

I'll go back to bentley to figure out which end goes where now Embarassed Laughing

thanks !
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

its okay, in my limited english, spline didnt mean anything. When i took the torsion bar out, it was like enlightment, and i just wanted to make sure i understood correctly everything.

I'll go back to bentley to figure out which end goes where now Embarassed Laughing

thanks !

for that part you don't need the bentley, stick it in, just pick a side, if it goes in you got it right, if it does not go in, turn it around and it will go in....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Some good advice here, but I never bother with the protractor.

Assemble the torsion bar/springplate assembly such that the bottom of the springplate is about 1/8" above the bottom stop of your torsion housing. Both sides. That will be a good place to start with everything bolted up and the bus on the ground. If it isn't the height you want, or it isn't level, adjust as necessary by using combos of one outer spline in one direction, then one inner in the other direction. Each time you do that is about 3/16" change in whichever direction you want to go. And each time requires almost complete R&R of the assembly.

Once you have it, you will be happy and done.
empire13b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

'61 bus. Just put a '67 bug transaxle in with non-adjustable spring plates from vintage v dub. Using the stock '67 bug brake set up, the tire hits the spring plate.
I'm assuming it is because of the thin bug drum as compared to the bus drums.

What brake set up can I use that retains the stock 5 lug 15" bus wheels?

Thank you braintrust.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

empire13b wrote:
'61 bus. Just put a '67 bug transaxle in with non-adjustable spring plates from vintage v dub. Using the stock '67 bug brake set up, the tire hits the spring plate.
I'm assuming it is because of the thin bug drum as compared to the bus drums.

What brake set up can I use that retains the stock 5 lug 15" bus wheels?

Thank you braintrust.

This one right here - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=341707

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you have a short spline trans (67 should be) I can machine the drum snout to fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerrud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Need help. .did straight axel conversion on 63 double cab with 67 bug Trans and 68 bug drums. . 63 bus e brake cable is too long. . What are people doing to fix this? 56 to 60 e brake is 5 inches shorter but it's too short. . 55 to 56 is 12 inches shorter, so that's out of the question. . How to i get e brake to work ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

That's strange, I just did the same conversion on my 63 Kombi. Do you have the spacers that fit into the backing plate? They are about 2 inches long. I did have to cut about 2 inches out of the spring on the cable though to get it to work. Fit it all loose, then make final adjustments at the e-brake cable adjusting nuts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gerrud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
That's strange, I just did the same conversion on my 63 Kombi. Do you have the spacers that fit into the backing plate? They are about 2 inches long. I did have to cut about 2 inches out of the spring on the cable though to get it to work. Fit it all loose, then make final adjustments at the e-brake cable adjusting nuts.

Going to cut 2 inches off spring and try the tube spacers/extenders. . Hopefully that will fix the issue. .
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Today I manage to find a supplier for a RHD astra rack that doesn't cost a kidney.

I already have

1) early bay steering shaft
2) vanagon bevel box
3) *soon* astra RHD rack

Still need to source:

1) Steering wheel (can I reuse my split steering?)
2) Couplings for shaft -> bevel box / bevel box -> extension shaft
3) Extension shaft with U joints
4) Various brackets to mount the stuff

I am planning to use a late bay front beam.
Narrowed 4" and with adjusters installed.

After lowering the ride 1.5" it should ride same as a split, what absorbers do I use? The stock split ones? Or?
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

lightice wrote:
After lowering the ride 1.5" it should ride same as a split, what absorbers do I use? The stock split ones? Or?

That seems like a pretty hefty price tag and list of parts if it's going to ride the same. Why not just do a narrowed split beam then? I've never heard of an Astra front end.
gerrud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:

Soooo, looks like. . 3 inch cut out of springs, and added 3 1/2 inch or stainless steel pipe at the entrance into the pipe leading up to the front. . Pipe is over lapping the entrance pipe (just to give you a vision. . Then i adjusted at the e brake handle and it all worked out very good. . All is working just fine now. .
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
lightice wrote:

That seems like a pretty hefty price tag and list of parts if it's going to ride the same. Why not just do a narrowed split beam then? I've never heard of an Astra front end.

Actually I want to use a late bay balljoint front, the steering rack is another mod I want to do in conjunction with that as my RHD steering box is really worn.

Opel astra I believe is the same as vauxhall cavalier, maybe even same as GM cavalier.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Has anyone used a mark 2 polo steering rack before on a bus?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

lightice wrote:

they don't sell Polos in the US. but maybe you are looking for a UK RHD polo enthusiast?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

My rig may provide some ideas on what to do (or not to do).
The rack is from a vw rabbit and I used the vanagon bevel box and aftermarket u-joints, just ignore the 928 suspension and pretend I still have the balljoint custom beam installed.

lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
lightice wrote:

they don't sell Polos in the US. but maybe you are looking for a UK RHD polo enthusiast?

Oh didn't know polo wasn't available in the US.
But yeah my bus is a RHD, some of them did mention a possible usage of the polo steering rack in the bus application.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
My rig may provide some ideas on what to do (or not to do).
The rack is from a vw rabbit and I used the vanagon bevel box and aftermarket u-joints, just ignore the 928 suspension and pretend I still have the balljoint custom beam installed.

Nice mod on the axle.
But won't having A arms eliminate bumpsteer from using side tie rods ends?

How did you attach the suspension arms in place?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Found something interesting.

Those fugly tricycle (the spyder?) comes with 165/55r15 tires...

I was wondering what you guys though of using those in the front of a bus? Pretty sure the load value must be far from optimal, but they are relatively cheap compared to other options..

EDIT : Looking at different pictures, it seems like they are 55H load rating...
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Now that we're living in a time of 6 inch welded drop spindles. Can anybody give me an argument for why I would want adjusters in my beam? Seriously considering buying some plates and narrowing the beam myself without adjusters to save money, shipping and the wait time for a builder's beam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 89 of 100

Jump to: