Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Will the ebrake bolt up?

Are the type 3 brake shoes the same between the 4 and 5 lug drums?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
Been reading this post all the way thru and im confused Question

This might be a simple answer.

have a 66 bus, want to put in a 68 type 3 drum to drum tranny.

Other than nose cone and swing arm plates this is basically a bolt on affair right? could I just use 5 lug type 3 rear drums on the existing back plates?

I am reading mixed answers and can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for your help

Plenty of detailed info here - http://lowbus.com/BB/index.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

halchka99 wrote:
Will the ebrake bolt up?

Are the type 3 brake shoes the same between the 4 and 5 lug drums?

You will need the e-brake cable extender available from wherever you buy your modded spring plates.

Brake shoes are the same, I think.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

The 4 and 5 lug brakes use the same shoes. For a Type 3 rear, you can use 73-79 Super Beetle FRONT wheel cylinders and hardware (except hold down pins - too short). The Super Beetle shoes will fit, but are narrower.
BUSorBUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus: Adjusting Wagenswest Beefcake adjusters Reply with quote

Hey All- just bought a panel and it came with a wagenswest beam with beefcake tooth style adjusters.

I want to lower it more- and it appears if I loosen the nuts and the adjuster on the outside swings upward that should allow the bus to go lower-
am I correct in my assumption?
Assumption #2- do I do the same amount of teeth for top and bottom tubes of the beam?

Thanks
Brian
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

It would probably be best to ask Wagenswest these questions, to be certain.

I haven't adjusted my Bus Boys beam for almost 30 years now, but from what I remember, your assumptions are correct. The linkpins will bind if the top and bottom are too far off; that's about the worst that can happen.

Set the top and bottom adjusters, then put it on the ground and jump on the front bumper. If it's smooth, you should be in good shape.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
It would probably be best to ask Wagenswest these questions, to be certain.

Best idea I've heard. Let Nate handle the customer service on his products, but I'll help...

Split 66' wrote:
The linkpins will bind if the top and bottom are too far off; that's about the worst that can happen.

Set the top and bottom adjusters, then put it on the ground and jump on the front bumper. If it's smooth, you should be in good shape.

Terrible idea.
Instead, put your beam on stands, loosen both adjusters and jack one (or both) wheels to where you *think* you want the ride height to be (remember it's going to compress a couple inches once set on the ground)
As you are jacking the wheel you will see the adjusters do NOT move the same.
If you set the adjusters in the same positions you are binding the beam. The upper and lower arms will be fighting each other causing a rough ride.

Set it on the ground, decide if it needs to go up or down (jumping up and down on the bumper shouldn't be necessary unless you have a poorly built beam with tight bushings and link pins)
Put it on stands, adjust as needed
Repeat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

It took me three tries, years ago, to get to the lowest point, without binding.

I didn't use a protractor to set my spring plates either. It's not rocket science.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Split 66' wrote:
It took me three tries, years ago, to get to the lowest point, without binding.

I didn't use a protractor to set my spring plates either. It's not rocket science.

There are different versions of lowered as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vs

It takes a bit more work to achieve the bottom photo
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Yes, body and frame mods are not my thing.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

If I’m installing a type 3 tranny with drums and backing plates, do I need to flip the backing plates so the wheel cyl sits on the bottom?

If I dont flip them it seems like I cant get the brake line to hook up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I put the T3 wheel cylinder up top, so that the weep hole for the trans oil overflow, is on the bottom.

I also used the e-brake extension tubes from WideFive, to get the e-brake cables on the bottom:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1973717
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

How did you get the brake hard lines to match up to the wheel cyl being up top? I’m using the bus hard lines.
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

It's been about 7 years since I did the rear hard lines. I may have purchased actual T3 rear hard lines from ISP West.

I do know that the soft lines attach to the axle tubes, then I custom bent the hard lines from the axle tube mount, to the top position of the backing plate.

Maybe give ISP West a call and ask them what the length of T3 rear hard lines are, and then compare them to the length of the T2.
https://www.vwispwest.com/pg98

I used a cheap Harbor Freight brake-line bender wrench, to get the angles right.

I can get pictures if you need them.
Rustyscrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Has anyone have issues with 3.5 inch flipped spindles with stock beam with 185/60/15? And then stock rear down one outer spline? I was thinking of going with this poor mans lowering. Any issues with this setup?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Rustyscrew wrote:
Has anyone have issues with 3.5 inch flipped spindles with stock beam with 185/60/15? And then stock rear down one outer spline? I was thinking of going with this poor mans lowering. Any issues with this setup?

Lowering the rear with the RGB's still in place will lead to extreme negative camber. It can work that way, but it looks goofy and can lead to odd tire wear and bearing oil starvation issues. But, it has been done before by many.
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I keep finding dead links and pic links. Is there a template to modify my stock spring plates for a SAK? where to drill, where to cut?

I have a bug SA trans, these long axle tubes with the large/long end castings, and long spline, long axles. What spring plates do I use?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

To use those axle tubes you either need to buy/build offset spring plates, or modify those tubes. You need to press those castings off the tubes, extend the tubes 1 1/8" (correct me if I am off) and press a short axle casting back on there.

I think jeremyrockjock posted a template for cutting the bus spring plates to fit the beetle axle tubes.
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Thank you sir.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Still reading this thread. Lots to take in. Regarding shocks, Anyone have part numbers for a billstein shock for a bus that has flipped spindles with a straight axle? Reading continues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 91 of 100

Jump to: