Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

"Notches"

Everyone wants to say notches. They are splines, and one spline "notch!" doesn't mean shit.

OK, one outer spline down, then one inner spline up, equals just about 3/16" drop. (or raise, depending on direction) The combination is what matters. Mark it before you start making changes, and count what you change.

Need to drop an inch? Drop five spline combinations and you will have about an inch.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

GOT TO SAY CDENNISG - You are very very correct.
Forget the spline count, it's hit and miss. I used your method >tape measure and hit it On The Money !! ThankYou ! I got exactly what I pictured in my little head

THANKS A LOT
VWonthe road
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Hi guys
I lowered my 1977 T2 bus using the cheap beam adjuster , the bus looks really nice but driving it is a struggle , its so bumpy , is there a way to kake it drive smoother ? different shocks ?
appreciate any advice
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

VWonthe road wrote:
Hi guys
I lowered my 1977 T2 bus using the cheap beam adjuster , the bus looks really nice but driving it is a struggle , its so bumpy , is there a way to kake it drive smoother ? different shocks ?
appreciate any advice

Yes. Spend the money and time to do it right. Sorry to sound like an ass, but it's the truth.

A properly lowered bus, or any vehicle for that matter, should not ride like shit. If it does, something is wrong.

Did you disassemble the beam completely, then cut and weld in new adjusters? Did they get indexed properly? Did you also install dropped spindles? Did you narrow the beam? Did you install shorter shock absorbers? Did you check that the torsion leaves were all in good condition? How about the torsion arm bushings?
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I did nothing to my Beam except making sure it is in good condition. I think (and I'm no expert) You re changing the way the beam is made to work and that is where your harsh ride came from. My drop spindles didn't change much at all. I did have four 15" wheels CUT-OUT and moved outboard which now gives me a much better choice of tires. 14's don't really offer-up much in modern rubber, and I also feel tire size/choice of tire is a large part of the final ride. I will stay w oil shocks in front- my bus is being aligned today, next week is tires to finish my drop. My bus sits with a 3/4 " rake currently for cargo/kids and stuff, but that can change with the tires - maybe. I do have gas in the back-that has to wait and see after the tire choice. I think, depending on condition of your EVERYTHING, it's trial and error till you get it correct. My bus has IRS and as soon as I made the rear drop the wheels are much flatter like it was meant to be and the alignment is now right, front to back. The rear bushings are also a candidate for a poor ride. 40 or 50 years old, what ya want? Check everything ! cdennisg (above) has actually got me to where I want to be, as this thread is very dated w too much old info-old tires, and new products. Most of us don't have big shops to do all this work, just a 20x10 next to the wife's SUV, jack stands, and a dog who steals your tools when you are under the bus
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
VWonthe road wrote:
Hi guys
appreciate any advice

Yes. Spend the money and time to do it right. Sorry to sound like an ass, but it's the truth.

A properly lowered bus, or any vehicle for that matter, should not ride like shit. If it does, something is wrong.

Did you disassemble the beam completely, then cut and weld in new adjusters? Did they get indexed properly? Did you also install dropped spindles? Did you narrow the beam? Did you install shorter shock absorbers? Did you check that the torsion leaves were all in good condition? How about the torsion arm bushings?

I just realized you are asking about a late bay window in the split bus lowering section. Not a sin, but the info may be quite different for certain things.

I suggest you post up your question int he bay bus lowering section. Or maybe a moderator can do that for you.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

It's best to repost there, I can't move the posts above.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Here's the thread...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156211
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I finished my Lowering of my 64>thanks cdennisg.

With my IRS and drop spindles (Beam is stock length)
I ended-up with :
Front -Yokohama's Ascend GT 205/60/15
Rear - Yokohama's Ascend GT 205/65/15
On Modified Bug smoothies(pushed-out) by Perfect custom made wheels in Gardena Calif

It rides real nice and Very smooth w/o any issues as of today. The rear tire must have the air OUT in order to remove, but that is not a big deal for the trade-off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Looks good man! Let us know if you end up with any rubbing up front when loaded up and turning a corner over a bump. Those tires are larger than what I used up front, but I also was driving a full camper which might weigh more than what you have there.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I will, and thanks a lot for all your input.

Most of my load will be in the back and that is why I left a 3/4" rake, but having the right tire guy who works with you is a blessing. One thing I also learned was (and overlooked) is that as you drop the rear the front comes up a bit, so a lot of consideration all around. I cannot believe how well it rides and the steering is much more stable w straight (not pigeon) rear tires.
Mike the Bar guy

EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:
I finished my Lowering of my 64>thanks cdennisg.

With my IRS and drop spindles (Beam is stock length)
I ended-up with :
Front -Yokohama's Ascend GT 205/60/15
Rear - Yokohama's Ascend GT 205/65/15
On Modified Bug smoothies(pushed-out) by Perfect custom made wheels in Gardena Calif

It rides real nice and Very smooth w/o any issues as of today. The rear tire must have the air OUT in order to remove, but that is not a big deal for the trade-off.

What color is your bus? Looks too dark for Turquoise, but too light for velvet green. Maybe just my screen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

It is Turkis
Probably just the camera.
I am not too into phones and tech, I have an iPhone 5, for me that is mega high tech.
It seems lighter in person than the photos, a lot like my Bus Bar in the above photo.

I buy colors all the time (VW) and they do vary depending on who manufactures the paints-and who mixes them
The clouds did come over the house when this was taken, so darker for sure
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Quick ? What rear shock is recommended when running Nates adj offset plates. Thanks
FreddyWanKenobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Does anyone sell a complete lowering kit? I came across this kit but have not seen any reviews in it.

https://www.airkewld.com/Complete-55-67-T-2-Split-Bus-PRObuilt-Lowering-Kit-p/2175.htm
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

El Guero wrote:
Quick ? What rear shock is recommended when running Nates adj offset plates. Thanks

Missed this one, but may as well answer.

Call Nate.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

FreddyWanKenobi wrote:
Does anyone sell a complete lowering kit? I came across this kit but have not seen any reviews in it.

https://www.airkewld.com/Complete-55-67-T-2-Split-Bus-PRObuilt-Lowering-Kit-p/2175.htm

Yes. many others sell the parts you need.

https://widefive.net/

https://www.wagenswest.com/

https://type-emotorsports.com/

These are just a few of the best. Keep searching if you need more.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Looks good man! Let us know if you end up with any rubbing up front when loaded up and turning a corner over a bump. Those tires are larger than what I used up front, but I also was driving a full camper which might weigh more than what you have there.

OK, after some time w my 205's F: 60's B: 65's X 15" X 205's
the rear is fine, the front will hit slightly with a large bump going over 35mph only-easy to avoid. They track very nice and feel much more stable than stock-I've added disc's in the back to flow with the front SACO brakes. AC industries. I will soon add Koni's all around-oilers/adjustable which should take care of the slight topping in front-I now have stock shocks all around and like them, but having some adjustment will be nice.Trying to stay away from a hard ride, and so far have achieved this w stock beam and IRS. The tires are rated at 1350 per tire so the best of both worlds w/o going to rubber band tires and a hard ride. One issue, taking off the big 205's in back has an added task. Jack it up, let the air out and lift tire from bottom -pull out sideways (away from Bus) and pull out the top of tire-Done. I made sure when I bought the rear disc's that they used threaded lug studs and not permanent in disc's-the front has no issue with threads in-disc. It's pretty fun w all the power and the A1 exhaust-it is loud when you push it up-Many have chased me down and asked what is in the back as I climb hills like batshit crazy. When I go to the beach fully loaded there are no issues b/c I put in a slight rake which takes all issues away from the front of the Bus-THANKS for your help cdennisg !

dtadpole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I have a 1965 vw bus.
Alrighty read through this thread and boggled my brain, can't seamlessly get it together, wanting to get all of the stuff together to irs my rear end.

flipped spindles in the front. coming*
71 beetle manual IRS Trans. in the rear I currently have ( I also have a small nut 62 swing axle drum to drum in case I need any of those parts)
also would like to refrain from cutting the torsion housing and narrowing and would like to get setup a disc brake setup also.
I also have a pair of stock 62 15" bus wheels with wide 5 pattern I would like to keep.

Basically I was wanting to know if anyone is running a beetle irs trans setup with wide five wheels(stock not modded) with disc brakes. wanting to know what size cv axles, type of trailing arms (beetle/bus/type3/thing), stubs, springplates, ect.. they are running. Also welded or bolt on trailing arm shackles?

photos or description would help me tremendously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

If you're not trying to install really wide tires on this project, just go forward. You can get some rear disc's from AC industries that mount-up to the axle-but wait until you see where this falls-clearance, b/c all buses can differ a little. Mine IS beetle, but earlier and I have the OG bus spring plates. The most important addition was the Mid Mount to keep it from twisting off the front trans mount<a lot of power 2332. You will also find a little bit of raising the front as you lower the back, not much, but keep it mind. 15's allow for a lot of tire choice. Your 65 should have 14's and I would do that also in the front(15's) it's only 1/2 " higher w/o tire considerations. I did mine w the help and knowledge from cdennisg, maybe poke at his head a bit, he knows his stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 96 of 100

Jump to: